On Art and Human Consciousness

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by whitewolf, Apr 8, 2006.

1. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

"modern art is free,
    free from forms, from concepts, from laws of physics and geometry,
    it's a true inner world of human consciousness...."

This persona, whose opinions I very much respect, assumes that human consciousness is free from forms, concepts, laws of physics, and geometry, and that art is free in the same way. Do you agree with these assumptions? Why or why not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Once we figure out what human consciousness is we'll know the answer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Human consciousness is definitely not free from form, concepts, or physics, and neither is art.
    Would anyone disagree with me?
    Would the forementioned persona attend the discussion?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

tsk, tsk, tsk, that wasn't a forum grade text, nor ment for posting in a forum, or I would have explained it better. bad wolf!

modern art can be such, and I'm not talking about how gravity affects the canvas, I'm talking of what's actually is painted, scratched, glued on,
    modern art is an extremely free form of expression,
    you don't have to draw a man that looks like a man, and a snake can have a head of a fox while one half of its' body is melting

human consciousness as such isn't free from concepts, geometry, physics, etc, but the part of it that is below the level of our culture, society and civilization is not bound by them

modern art is perfect for depicting an emotion, a state of mind, etc.

oh, and you are free to argue all you want, I won't reply any more,
    that is my opinion and I don't really care what you think about modern art,
    I replied, because my text was taken without my permission, and it needed a bit of clarification

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

That's all about form here.... Thanks.

I'll raise my eyebrow here.

We'll talk again in a month or two.

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Part of why a surrealist painting is effective is that we have forms in our heads which these paintings twist and we react - "that isn't normal, that must be cool, or meaningful or whatever".
    How about Rothko, completely visceral, or just empty? You decide.

10. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Since modern art is still done inside of our world with all of its laws and geometry, I have to say that modern art is not entirely free from that. Using the ideas of reductionism, same can be said about consciousness.

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

as said above...we dont KNOW what consciousness is.....neither do science nor anyone...soo its a silly kin thing to say.....AND dualistic. between 'subjective' and 'objective'. rather than understanding PROCESS

12. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

what do people mean by "dont know what consciousness is"?

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

well, what ISit. it cannot be measure....how do you measure consciousness--its subjectivity. hi is a major question. what does it mean for a mechanized scientific mindset qwwhen you tell em they cannot measure a ?

David Chalmers calls tthis problem The Hard Problem

checkout here Christian de Quincey www.deepspirit.com then click on MINDBYTES and checkout his essays on consciousness

consciusness is not 'anywhere' YET is always with matterenergy. its how matterenergy feels, is creative but is not 'in it' like brain is in skull. cause it has no extension in space...!

14. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

because it cant be measure does not mean you cannot expereince it. what more is there to know. it is what it is. i cant meaure the moon but i know what it is.

15. duendy Registered Senior Member

EXACTLY....i explore th predicament we as a spces are in under an oppressive mindset obessed wit fascist measure, and enclsure of objective and subjective reality and meaning.
    a very VERY powerful illustration is its war on drugs which includes war on psychedelics wwhich have alwayts been a way to freely explore consciousness.
    As will everything, the mechanistic mindset even wants to enclose consciousness

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

That is oppressive.
    When I draw, I draw whatever's on my mind, whatever the hell it could possibly be.

17. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

Modern art makes me want to rock out.