How much does Sciforums cost?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Blue_UK, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

How much does this site cost to maintain?

Who pays this?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

well its quite obvious it costs 1100 dollars a year

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

90 bucks a month.

And who pays?

Us.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Electric_Ashalar I've got my EYE on You. Registered Senior Member

where do I send my check.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

9. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Hmm... how much to donate? Baring in mind I'm a student and don't like parting with the good stuff.

If sciforums closes down we'll need a contingency plan. A webpage we can refer to for updates until an alternative site is found. Somewhere to invade.

10. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The cost for any forums in general is usually based upon a mixture of software, hardware for capacity and of course Bandwidth, which is usually in a premium.

There are many cheap packages out there to run websites, however there is no way that they can deal with the Capacity or Bandwidth.

You can analyse where the bandwidth goes, for instance every user that posts to a thread loads that thread multiple times to view their post or responses, search engines can search the threads if the forum is configured for searching (necessary for popular forums)

There are a number of websites out there that leech posts from the forums too that increase the hits. It is possible for advertisment to be added, however for the most part people ignore adverts and they don't ever make enough to maintain the forum.

As for donating, donate if you use the forum, if you have enough expendible cash to put some aside to keep the forums running, don't donate if you have only enough to pay your internet bill and pay for a bargain loaf of bread which can only be eaten if toasted. (The whole "starving student" thing should be dealt with first before anything else)

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

yeah, I could pay £40 a year perhaps... that's more than fair. But there's no point if no one else pays and I lose my investment!

It can't really cost that much to host can it?

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Storage space costs little, but bandwidth is more pricier. Besides take in mind what load on the server our forum puts.
    What those popular package deals on the net don't say, when you sign up, is that they won't allow you to run an intensive application (like a popular forum).
    So most likely we have to pay premium for additional RAM and processor cycles.

p.s. I run a forum myself, so I'm a bit informed about this.

14. draqon Banned Banned

1100 for forum maintainace when that money could have gone to the needy starving children of Nigeria...what has this world turned into?

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hell, the way I see it is that all the money wasted on kids in Nigeria could have been spent on Sciforums.

Fuck the Nigerians.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What kind of bandwidth does a forum like this use then?

17. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Bandwith shouldn't be a problem. Throughput/sql requests are what costs the $$$. You could sciforums total bandwith requirements for less than $10 a month, but then the site would be slow as hell..

18. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

maybe we should make it a pay site =/

it would get rid of the nutters and sock puppets. moreover, it would bring the bandwidth usage down. the we could add banners (I know some don't like banners, but they can go to hell, j/k =] ) to bring in some.

however, I am a broke assed college student, so that idea would not be good for me. I eat creamed chipped beef on toast ( commonly known as shit on a shingle) twice a week.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No. I don't like the idea of a pay site. Maybe paying for extras. But what extras? Bigger avatars? Sigs? (Nobody wants to see sigs around here.) More pm storage space? Attachments?

Then how much would these extras raise the price of hosting?

The site must be open for people to post for free. But, the people who love this site need to belly up to the bar and fork over some green.
    Every little bit helps. 5 bucks. 10 bucks. I know that at least some could easily afford 50, 100, maybe even more.
    Pay what you can and let's move on with the year.

It would really be nice if Dave would set up a mailing address though. For those who can't pay online for whatever reason. I've seen him on twice today and he hasn't responded to either thread on these points. That always disappoints me. When his isolationism really shows like that...

I want to save this site. I don't want it to die.
    This site is special.

Please. Give.

20. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

that's for damn sure. well, it seems to be very distracted with religious and political crap lately. although, it does seem to pick back up when school is out. I bet that if we monitored the science related threads (that are not homework help) they would dip right before finals then spike right after.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Would be funny to see if you can buy a moderatorship's title.

200$?

500$?

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

nobody would buy. if you offered my the job right now I would not take it. I would feel too obligated to clean the place up.

as a side note: I think we should be able to temp ban people for being unscientific, or at least close the thread.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

what about free thoughts? pseudoscience? religion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.