Kirk Hammet or Dave Mustaine

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by thedevilsreject, Mar 29, 2006.

?

Who is the better player

Poll closed Apr 8, 2006.
  1. Kirk Hammet

40.0%
  2. Dave Mustaine

60.0%
  1. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

without bias which do you think is the better player.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

dave mustaine is the FAAAR superior guitarist, technically speaking.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I'd say they are about equal, all things considered.
    Kirk's flailing will have a certain significance to music historians of the future, even if it is flailing, it has something to it that fit what they were trying to do so perfectly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

its an interesting point, cole grey.

i meant the actually technicality of their play though. megadeth music is alot more complex, i think.

what do you think?

8. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Well technically you should be comparing something like Marty Friedman vs. Kirk Hammet since Dave Mustaine (during the era of imo their best stuff) was playing mostly just rhythm. Either way it's absolutely no competition. Kirk Hammet is shit.

9. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Mustaine is more interesting, Hammet more emotionally appropriate... neither are that great. From that era, I prefer John Connolly or Jeff Hanneman.

10. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

kirk hammet is more of an 80's powermetal guy that "sort of" broke out of the mold. even his music today carries the signature "WHEEEEEEEEE" that is so well known to 80's music fanatics (like myself)

mustaine also has it, i might add.

g.f.: true enough, but dave mustaine's rhythm playing is more complicated than most of hammet's lead playing....by FAR.

11. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

But, how about comparing James Hetfield's rhythm to Dave Mustaine's? James has some pretty masterful riffs to be singing as well. Look at the triplet pattern in Battery's verse, for example. To sing over that is pretty intense, in my opinion.

Technically speaking, Mustaine is better than Hammett. His runs are cleaner, tighter, and faster. But, I like Hammett's style better than Mustaine's.

12. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

How technical is flailing? Not very. But still I don't think there is usually a reason to separate a musician's playing into the different aspects, because you don't listen to the aspects separately. And you never know what a person who is trying to get a lot of emotion out of an instrument could do if they practiced a different way, also you never know what kind of sonic intensity a more technical player would get if they tried to focus on the other aspect.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i would recommend downloading a megadeth music video from their "countdown to extinction" album, and a metallica "black album" video.

both players were at their peaks at that general time...thats the only way we can know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i would say that solo wise kirk is better but ryhthm wise then Dave is better, all the while Kirk was needed in metallica more than Dave as James is good enough ryhthm player in his own right

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

No way devil inside....if you're watching anything for Megadeth it definitely has to be from Rust in Peace.

IMO the best metal album ever made.

16. jax0509 The non-believer Registered Senior Member

i dont think you get much more technical than .Justice for all, it was, if anything, over complex and metallica sometimes found it difficult to play songs like Frayed ends of sanity.Personally i think that kirk is my favourite which is why i voted for him, but i think that i probably should have voted for dave as he is the better technically.

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Marty Friedman trumps them both in every aspect IMO.

18. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I was learning metallica solos the second year after I touched a guitar.
    That is not the work of a technical master.
    I am not saying the solos weren't perfect in some way, but technically, no.

And I do remember marty friedman being known as one of "those" guitar players that I would have to say, "I could do that, if I sat around for days and practiced it," as opposed to "I can do that."

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

indeed, cole.
    i had a friend that could perfectly replicate kirk hammet solos when he was 13.

20. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yeah but technique heavy pieces don't exactly make music good.

Most Jimi Hendrix solos and Led Zeppelin solos aren't very hard either but they're so musically ahead that speed is never the issue.

Michael Angelo Batio could give Marty Friedman a few guitar lessons but his music becomes a bore to listen to.

21. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

There is no such thing as "without bias" for any question that requires an opinionated answer. There is no scale on which to judge the two guitar players, so how does that make any of your opinions unbiased? Now personally, I think that both players (and wholly, bands) are garbage, but I recognize the bias in that. I am biased because I dislike shitty music. You all are biased because you love it. End of discussion.

22. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

I am not a fan of Metallica, Megadeth, Hendrix, or Zeppelin, but you are right on target with this comment. I think all the players involved are just using their instruments as some sort of musical wank-a-thon, but whatever.

23. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

what music do you like then