Johnny Rotten: Green Day "Phony"

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Killjoy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    My man's no' happy...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. . .ACK !!!

Sex Pistols Slam Green Day

"Don't try and tell me Green Day are punk. They're not, they're plonk and they're bandwagoning on something they didn't come up with themselves. I think they are phony."

To me Green Day's kinda "Poppy Punk", but what can one expect from this sort of "retro-revisited" business ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I doubt green day actually call themselves punk. Surely it is a label they are given.

Green Day are as much pop rock as they are punk. I haven't bought one of their cds in years but it sounds to me like they are still writing good songs so I don't care what they are called.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This from the guy who went on to form Public Image Limited, one of the most highbrow bands of the 1980s?

PiL was a great band, that was a really good thing to do. Green Day is a good band too. Who cares about labels? John Lydon should just shut up and sing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

Johnny Rotten is a has been and was never that good in the first place, the ramones were also my prefered choice

8. most punk rock bands are phony and even if they don't start out that way, they end up that way. theres no other option when you are trying to survive by making a genre of music that thinks anything mainstream or profitable is "sold out". useless. i like listening to classical music, all those composers are too dead to sell out.

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    I think Green Day sounds more like The Ramones myself.
    I can't say if Rotten's Sex Pistols were deliberately trying for a sort of godawful sound just to seem contrary to everything they decried as "dinosaur" music, or if they were genuinely that inept.
    Johhny certainly was no vocal virtuoso.

heh... The Clash come to mind for some reason...
    Could be those classical composers were every bit as much the "sellouts" as modern musicians can be. After all, weren't they usually commisioned to write certain works by the rich & powerful of the day or members of royalty ?
    Even if they were working on what they considered to be their "true" inspirations, they still hadda pay the bills.
    I seem to recall something about Vivaldi's concertos being considered akin to modern pop songs. I love 'em regardless, but it's interesting to think that in some ways nothing has changed that much over the centuries.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is sad, though, that many young people, like my teen brother think Green Day represents punk. They don't even know their musical heritage. Like my friend Erik said to some young punk, "I had my first mohawk before you had your first pubic hair".

11. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

He's right. They're pop punk. Then again, compared to Discharge, so is he.