Scifi, ESP, occult can make good fiction, but

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Dinosaur, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I enjoy various unrealistic themes in fiction, but get annoyed when such concepts are presented as real.

It is particularly annoying when the History Channel and other media alleged to be factual present UFO's, ESP, Bermuda Triangle phenomena, Atlantis, et cetera in documentary format.

Does this bother any who post here?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

The History Channel is on my shit list, for that and other reasons. I think the channel has been taken over by right-wing propagandists just as Fox News has. Who owns the history channel? I'm too lazy to look it up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So what do you think of the bible?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. finewine Registered Senior Member

What about time travel? I loved the thoughts about time travel in the "Ender's Game" series. We are confined by time, What if we could live outside of time?
    I saw a documentary on Star Trek and its influence on technology because men and women dared to dream the impossible.

8. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

A blend of history and historical fiction/fantasy.

Oh, the History Channel is owned by Disney, General Electric and Hearst.

9. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

i like how orson scott card portrayed time travel in ender's game. it was a realistic and truly possible method of 'speeding up' time. it wasn't really time travel per se, merely just the effects of relativity on a person moving very quickly through space. but i think that is the extent of time distortion that we will experience.

10. finewine Registered Senior Member

Yes, that is true in the first book.
    But Jane is able to go "outside' of time. I found it interesting to be "outside" of time.
    How many books of the series have you read?

11. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Just the first one, for me. :m:

12. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

oh, yes i had forgotten about this. i read them all, but a while ago. they are able to go 'outside' into a sort of timeless state, maybe outisde our known universe. this 'outside' lacks the fourth dimension, lacks change. makes you think perhaps the variables of our universe are based on the constants of the unchanging outside.

13. finewine Registered Senior Member

Yes, but is the outside unchanging or is it just another universe to explore?
    What is it that lives outside of our time oriented universe?
    What is beyond our life in this confining human body and universe in which we live?