Sciforums Investment Game

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Xerxes, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

http://vse.marketwatch.com/ (game ID 'sciforums')

Ends on 06/13/2006. My game name is firecamel and I am eager to kick your stock trading asses

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Good luck people
    1.Sameer +15.48%
    2.firecamel +14.03%
    3.djtec17 +7.20%
    4.Bowser +4.77%
    5.Flamingnun +4.43%
    6.wesmorris +4.33%
    7.Roman +4.23%
    8.spuriousmonkey +4.21%
    9.Pete +3.92%
    10.illadelphia76 +3.90%
    11.paintballads +3.75%
    12.Xovelono +3.25%
    13.CT3000 +1.89%
    14.oSand +0.72%
    15.M3T4LHE4D +0.16%
    16.Varda +0.13%
    17.ritzymitzy +0.05%
    18.mouse +0.03%
    19.vslayer -0.27%
    20.Billy T[ COLOR=Red]-0.92%[/COLOR]
    21.CommunistHamster -2.48%
    22.lifeoffever -2.55%

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Businesswiz Registered Senior Member

I'm joining today.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I'm firecamel, by the way.

You can see who else is in the game and what stocks they have by navigating the somewhat weird menus. Click *my games*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i dont get it, where are the companies? any why wont the javascript work in opera? i have to use firefox in order to play it

8. i just joined, my name in the game is lifeoffever. i dont know a damn thing about this but im going to try cause it looks like fun.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I just discovered I had not joined the sciforums game until a few minutes ago. Yesterday I set up game called BILLY T, by error, but did not join it! (and no one has.) I will kill it if I can figure out how.

My interest earned (about $11) on that one day of doing nothing in BILLY T game, does not appear in the sciforums account. Next day, after COB approximately $11 appeared in the sciforums game and the Billy T game had little less than $22, so definitely if you join another game, your given the initital cash and can use it differently in each game. I do not see the reason why a "portfolio" even exist seperate from each game's investment records. After clicking on "my games" (top level of tree) each game will be given in summary box and in upper right of box, in small blue letters, is: "view my portfolio" which when clicked on allows you to view orders status. To placing orders use: "Make a Trade" (top level cmd.) Also can see how many days until end of each game here in "game box." Thre is at least one more gray box with nothing in it below my two games, presumably for a third game.

PS to firecamel: Although currently the biggest losser, you need not begin to squat down for my swinging foot, just yet, as it is early in game still.

If you are new reader here, and interested in joining, don't delay. - Not doing any buys, you still appear to collect interest daily. (If new members join later they have lost this interest, I think.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2006
  10. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

i am pwning all you guys

#1 baby

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

St Patricks day standings:
    1.firecamel (me) +2.90%
    2.illadelphia76 +1.93%
    3.Flamingnun +1.72%
    4.vslayer +0.01%
    5.Billy T +0.01%
    6.M3T4LHE4D +0.01%
    7.wesmorris -0.01%
    8.Varda -0.02%
    9.lifeoffever -0.09%
    10.paintballads -1.03%

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Ha! I am the biggest winner now

I second that. Every day counts dearly.

Here's a tool to help you invest. I promise, it'll be fun learning:
    http://hedgefolios.com/lib/evaluate

Each company is abbreviated to a stock symbol. So when you buy something, you have to enter the symbol/number of stocks you would like to purchase. These can be found on pretty widely on the net:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/default.asp?siteid=&avatar=seen&dist=ctmw

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

See, I was correct telling you not to squat down, JUST YET, for my swinging foot as the game is early. Going from last to first in a day this early is easy, even without being a high Beta guy. I am working on my leg swing, trying for higher altitude. Perhaps you will never need to squat down, just bend over to grasp your ankles near end of game.

If anyone has doubts about how the game works, they may be answered in my first post, just edited again, to reflect what I have learned, mainly because I accidently set up a game called Billy T, that I still have not learned how to kill (I doubt now that any player can kill a game, once set up - If you could, sore lossers would.) Thus I will not waste any more time trying to kill it. (If I join it, I will at least win one game, as I will be the only player.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2006
  14. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Here are the standings for the week ending March 24th:
    1.firecamel (me) +6.13%
    2.wesmorris +4.48%
    3.djtec17 +2.29%
    4.illadelphia76 +2.16%
    5.Sameer +2.03%
    6.Flamingnun +2.02%
    7.Billy T +0.10%
    8.M3T4LHE4D +0.10%
    9.vslayer +0.10%
    10.Varda +0.07%
    11.Roman +0.07%
    12.paintballads -0.48%
    13.lifeoffever -0.88%
    14.CommunistHamster -1.33%

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That looks really interesting. I should give that a try; always wanted to play one of those. Think I'll go with mining specs - gold etc. They fluctuate like crazy and you can get very rich very fast if you're even a bit lucky, I shit you not.

Actually, the hell with the game.

Geoff

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I only know dutch companies. So I picked random stuff. Should be fun to see if I go broke.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm not familiar with english stock market terminology. In holland I used to buy options to buy shares or sell shares. Is that possible in this game, and what are they called?

18. syedsameer Registered Senior Member

Tip: Do not invest in a lot of companies, rather, find one or two good company with a sound growth rate and invest in them. This would be far less risky and would build up your portfolio nicely. Use all your available cash to buy the shares of just these two - three successfull high growth companies. You can find such companies easily by reading market analysis and checking out various companies and such at http://finance.yahoo.com or other good finance related websites.

I just joined recently and am at #3 and within a few days I will be #1.

Syed Sameer - A 14 y/o kicking some intelligent ass.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

haha...good advice but too late for me. I'm going for bankruptcy by the looks of it.

20. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Nah, you won't go into bankruptycy, spurious

Use this as an exercise for possible future investments.

This site should answer your question:
    http://invest-faq.com/articles/deriv-option-basics.html

It's not complex for us lay people.. you buy stocks at the lowest buyer asking price and sell them when they've peaked. The hard part is picking them.

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Picking stocks that swing up and down a lot is easy. Just look at their published "betas."

Now that I have solved the part that is "hard for you". Perhaps you will do the same for me?

Tell me how I can know "when they've peaked."

22. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Basically, I look at the graphs and if a stock has been sitting for a short while at a comparitvalely stable low point compared to it's history, or is looking concave up, I buy it. If it's a max at a point of inflection, I sell it.

No math involved! Mwuahaha.

Of course a longterm strategy has to be different. This is only a three month competition.

23. syedsameer Registered Senior Member

Well stock value is directly proportional to the financial and overall performance of the company. For example, if Google (GOOG) had a positive growth rate, of let's say 7% and suddenly there's a large-scale employee strike or a huge data-centre failure the next day, the value of the stock would immediately decrease as traders will hesitate to hold their GOOG stock - with the fear that the value may rise down - and will try to sell their holdings for a lower value - this will lead to a tremendous decrease in the value. In such situations you really need to simply research about the company at the hand, and if it's a promising company you may still hold your stock in such situations - but if it's not, or if more problems are expected in the future, then you should just sell your holdings.

So the bottomline is that "Know the present and the future of your stock" -- The past is important too but the most important is the present and the future of a company you're investing it. Read market analysis (experts suggest you to hold / buy / sell), read news regarding the corporation (on your Portfolio page in VSE) and just do some research and then decide what you should be doing. Think of some big companies which you may already know - Google (GOOG), Yahoo! (YHOO), Microsoft (MSFT) and lot's more. Remember, even big players may go down anytime. That's the stock market for you.

I usually sell over a stock in the following situations:-
    1. The value has rised to a reasonable level and I'm in need to make up some quick profit.
    2. The value has decreased and is expected to decrease further with more problems in the long-term as-well.

I usually HOLD a stock only if I believe that the value will rise further.

I BUY a stock after looking at graphs, the company bio-data, statistics, financial performance, market analysis, asking other traders etc. I do as much research as possible.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, trust me. Just learn to do it right once and you'll make a fortune out of this.

Edit -
    ooh, rank 2 of 21. Heh, you know, I think I'm a smart ass 14-year-old who kicks ass. I just proved my sig true.

Syed Sameer - A 14-year-old kicking some intelligent ass.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006