Vectors and Tensors in Economics?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Rosnet, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know whether tensors or vectors are used in economics? And while you're here, what other mathematical fields are involved in economics?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Statistics, obvioulsy.
    My CFA, MBA daughter managed 4+ billion dollars of Delta's pension fund* until about 5 years ago (Now she manages private accounts with assets over 5 million for individuals.) She has taught CFA couses etc and get many financial journals, which I look at when visiting.

Lots about "risk allocation models" etc for pension, mutual fund mangers. I can not alway follow the math as they are at very high level with lots of jargin I do not know. I think some of the math could be viewed as vectors, but is not generally. I could once work with tensors, but never have seen anything that remined me of them in her journals. Why do you ask?
    *As a "defined benefit" plan, any profit or loss went directly to the "bottom line" of Delta's results. Several years, even back then when airlines made a good profit, she was the greatest "profit center" of the company!

Its all hard for me to believe still. - That is the same kid who as a 10 year old wanted $20 for a "skateboard," (simple thing, just hitting the market), which I did not want her to have. I told her she could earn $1 for each bucket full of small stones she dug out of the yard. (Expecting her to give up after a few.) After about a month and 18 buckets, there were no more stones, so she asked if she could extract stones from the neighbor's yard. I relented and gave her the last two dollars, extracting promisses to "be careful", "only use on school playground or our dead-end street" etc. I think that $20 was the best expenditure I have ever made.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Thanks BillyT. As a part of learning Tensors, I waslooking for its applications in diverse fields. I have some interest in Economics, and wanted to see if Tensors coud be applied.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

There's an interesting book about a mathematician that tried to play the stock market... and failed.

Mwuahahah