Biometric Chips

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by goofyfish, Jan 11, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Digital Angel has developed biometric chips which, Via global positioning system satellites, transmit, in real time, the location, heart rate, blood pressure, brain activity levels, etc. of the implantee. The company believes biometric chips will soon be as common as cell phones.

Can implanted biometric chips be far behind? I am willing to bet that the main consumer of these devices will be the government, to track soldiers, parolees, those receiving public assistance and children "in the system".

Quasi-logical reasons will probably be proffered--

If you've committed a crime, you've forfeited many of the rights afforded you by the constitution. Society has an interest in keeping track of dangerous criminals. Wouldn't we be better off if these people weren't allowed to go wherever they wanted whenever they wanted, with no supervisory agency whatsoever?

Children "in the system" run away from their foster homes at an above average rate. We could save a lot of money on police services and child and family welfare expenditures if we just knew where these kids were running.

If you're taking public assistance to live, society has a right to know what you're doing with that money, right? We don't want people selling their food stamps for fifty cents on the dollar and then drinking or snorting their child's assistance.

How about those who apply for some governmental privilege, like driving a car or carrying a firearm??

Personal autonomy be damned. Just one more step towards the "New Normalcy." :bugeye:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

While I am a humanist at heart, I've got to say that in this case, I can't wait for these chip implants! I think your concerns regarding the 'homogonization' and reduction of people to numbers is quite unfounded. If any government really wants to screw you, at this point, it can already be done; implanted chips naturally, would make it easier, but they certainly don't make it more likely. Personally, I like the 'quasi-logic'; I'm sick and tired of having a wallet full of cards that I have to remember PIN codes to, as well as having to regularly fill out forms etc. to get my Drivers License etc. renewed. Put it all together, in one chip, flash-programmable, in my thumb. Sign me up.
    And you know what? I'll still be me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Imahamster Registered Senior Member

Imahamster would rather lose a wallet than a thumb.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

so is the future of people to be determined by the information that is fed to a GPS, are we going to find ourselves acting under the mercy of Big Brother?

William Shakespeare once quoted in As you like it
    I mention this, because that is all society will be reduced to. People becoming players to an audience of lawyers and Jury if they are criminal, or having the worlds Media and film organisations buying into a persons life similar to "EdTV", "Being John Malkovich" and "The Truman Show".

You might think that placing implants into people will solve all the worlds problems, but it will just case the criminals to step up in intelligence and try their best to defeat it. Okay so a wet towel around your head from "Total Recall" won't block out your signal, but you might find yourself flying to some seedy location, and walking into a cage in the centre of a room where a surgeon awaits.

What is this cage you might ask... A faraday cage, specifically designed to stop external influences effecting what ever is inside, in fact it also works in the reverse direction.

Once inside a sneaky looking Skinjob man walks around after finding that he can make more money removing those GPS chips than he can as a plastic surgeon. Even using a little EMP (Electromagnetic pulse) might be enough to knock out a GPS implant, as the implant will no longer function correctly.)

Not to mention for a price, this blackmarketeer can implant you with a new Bioimplant, that fakes a whole new identity, a new credit record and access to buildings that you didn't have the codes for previously.

false documentation can then follow, just adding to the whole new sculptured description of your false life.

So was all that money spent on implanting an entire society really worth it, or did it just induce a highly paid just as dangerous as drugs crime ring, willing to kill people to get hold of their implants.

(I'm not going into details of that worsecase scenario, but it would just involve buffering them into a hospital to have them switched.)

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Don't Want to Say "I Told You So"

(must… not … use … the word… “sheeple”)

The illusion of safety via government has been killing liberty in the United States for years now. This is just the latest example. In addition to the obvious issues of biochip implantation and the sovereignty of my personal skinbag, I have a definite concern regarding the mental stability of people who would voluntarily get these ID implants for themselves.

Maybe there is something to Revelations after all. Can you say “mark of the beast?”

Peace.

9. Overcomer Registered Member

I think it is scary. This really made me start thinking. Maybe this Bible stuff is real after all. I mean it does say in Revelation " He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.
    This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666." With this technology a government could implement a totally digital monetary system and control the people for "safety". Pretty scary.

10. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Could this be the government's latest attempt to shock everyone into believing everything in the Bible and in Revelations?

I cry RELIGIOUS CONSPIRACY here. :bugeye:

11. Overcomer Registered Member

Huh?... Ok...

12. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Stryderunknown:
    "Society" is dying to be reduced to this, except they don't see it as being reduced to anything. They will freely flash you their genitals and display their incomptence but feel exhalted in doing it because this is their claim to significance.

So today's world would be perfect for biometric chips- hundreds of thousands of plebians are right now signing up for reality tv shows, the Big Brothers, Blind Dates and Joe Millionares.

13. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

With technology such as this, it is not really the "intended" usage that should make one fearful or concerned, it is the side uses, and most importantly, the legalization of its uses for the masses-- via fear breeding propaganda--i.e. 9-11 and oh the so dangerous terrorists that lurk in every alleyway. As if the implanting of chips to track one's location will somehow protect that individual from a car bomb, etc. Of course I am reaching, but I do not see how I can be that far off. The congress passed the patriot act, and a moronic president was given dictatorial power, all after 5,000 people died. The crazy thing about the mass hysteria following 9-11 is that most didn't even fully realize the loss of lives; their hysteria, fear, etc were fed to them like little bloody kids.

I can envision a time when one's identity shall be an implant chip. If one were to cut you open and "steal" your identity, it would be almost impossible to recover. Privacy might not be important as a realistic state, but one should realize it is entirely the principle behind it-- the right to have privacy that inspires people to fight for it. Tagging felons leads to tagging drunk drivers, which leads to tagging drug users, which leads to tagging paroles, which leads to tagging students-- but of course for safety and organization,... at this point the use of tags becomes a norm and it is utilized on the masses. Of course I am paranoid, I googled my self; I ran a check on myself through an agency and what can be found via a SSN is ridiculous. We as members of this society-- unless you are ridiculously rich, exist as data. Once that data can be centralized or access to that data made easier via a chip in one's body of all things, ...

The ministry of social safety is in our future, and that future includes biometric chips in all of us; and you know damn well advertisers will make use of such access to their targeted consumers.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I think it likely that an identity chip could be superseded by cheap and easy DNA testing, thus your body is your identity. To go with the DNA database that people are proposing be used in the UK. Also they are pushing forwards with plans for compulsory ID cards for people.
    Of course, the gvt and everyone else have access to more data about us than we want. The question is whetehr they want to, adn they wont unless you stick your head above the parapet, but when you do, people find out about what you bought last year in that small shop down a side street. Or that youve been seen in the company of various interesting people. and so on.

15. I Am F_AQ2 Registered Senior Member

This is scary. Technology is reaching a point that we will no longer be humans, just data. We are already so close to that as it is. You can be defined by many numbers and your entire life can be looked up simply using your SSN. Where you have worked, lived and even people you knew are kept in files in various places. The worst part about it is the recent craze from 9-11. People are so willing to jump up and give their rights up for an imagined 'security.' It will be too late when people have discovered what they have done for once a freedom is lost it cannot be regained. The truly sad part is the fact that this will most likely lead to no more security than we have now but seriously damage your rights. This can lead to such regulation of your daily activities that life will not be fun anymore. Imagine that you could never break any law again, this chip would defiantly catch you. In some places in the US it is illegal to spit. Adultery is illegal. Jaywalking, speeding, littering. All thing you have done and continue to do every day and the laws against those are made with the understanding that most of the time you will not be caught. Only when you are blatant or dangerous will it matter but with a chip in each persons arm you could ensure complete compliance with anything. You would cease to be human and become more robot. Maybe a dismal outlook on this but I don't belive it is far fetched. The epittimy of it all is when you realize that, like always, the real criminals will find a way around the system. The security that you think you gained is nothing.

16. it all starts with searches. Do the police have the right to search you? Do they have the right to point a laser at your car to see if you have been drinking? Do the police have the right to tap your phones? Do they have the right to remove information from you computer screen as long as they are on public property and do not go on private property. If I get your DNA off of a cup in a restraunt and clone a child do you have to pay child support? What are your rights to privacy?

17. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

In my country(Estonia) we already have ID cards.
    At the moment this ID card is only possible way to buy cheap bus/train tickets, if you dont have one, you must pay more.
    During this year driving licence will be put in it.

edit: Link - http://www.id.ee/pages.php/0303

18. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Sure, sounds nice, but is it possible to track your movement with it? Like can be done with credit card purchases.

19. I Am F_AQ2 Registered Senior Member

Laughing weasel, I feel that the police do not have the right to search etc without a proper reason. That is you are endangering OTHERS, but unfortunately it is not true. Especially when on the road. I find that most of the time the police pull you over for no reason or something really small that is not harming anyone but let the people going 100 mph go. It really affects those who drive cheap cars.

A good example; I drive a '94 Hundi Excel. I bought it for $700 and while it is safe to drive and there are no major defects that make it an eyesore you can still tell that it was really cheap. I was pulled over because my licence plate was in the front windshield and not permanently affixed to my front end. Ok whatever I thought it was legal to do that but oh well.
    What really got me going was that I had watched many nicer cars pass that same cop with no plate in the front or a confederate flag instead of a plate. They weren't stopped and I know why. Cops see the cheap car and think I am some criminal when I haven't done a damn thing to deserve it.

A few years back I used to get together with a friend from work and we would go home in the wee hours of the morning. Many times I would spend an hour in a squad car while a cop gives me a bullshit excuse why he had to search my entire car. It is ridiculous that I was put through all that when I was completely obeying the law.

Point is that as the tech seems to get better at tracking and keeping people 'safe' it seems only the law abiding people are the ones that pay the price.

20. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

I think Israel, trying to deal with insurgants, could be just the playground dominated by fear, to let this technology pick up steam. They could give their citiznes some subcautanious chips (kind of a kosher certificate, stating that you are not one of those bombcarrying palestines).

also the biomonitoringchips have great medical appliances, but that doesn't make me feel less concerned!

Because, what will be next ? Chips that will be able to poison you, to be activated remotely by Judge dredd or some dictator coming into power ?

21. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

I dont think so.
    I think its possible to track me when someone wants to check my ID bus ticked for exapmle. Then they confirm it with somesort of online database, but I think they can´t actually see where I am.

22. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Tracking a person with an implanted chip would require that the GPS receiver/transmitter, its batteries and antenna be reduced to implantable size. You would further need to develop a method of tracking the chip inside buildings, vehicles, and under tree cover. Finally, you would need the infrastructure necessary and able to track these devices.
    Maybe not today, but don't be too sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace.

23. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Goofy, you are complicating things for yourself. An antenna within range of a simple RFID allows that device to be tracked. By 2005, Wal-Mart will have all of its merchandize implanted with RFIDs supposedly as a move to improve on its supply chain-- which is a good enough reason and application of the technoilogy, except it will used for advertising and consumer research.

To track an individual requires a sensor within that individual with a unique code. The sensor must broadcast its ID. That's all it needs to do. Antennas within range can pick up this ID and handle the tracking themselves. It would be far too expensive to have the implanted chip emitting its location, etc etc