Industrial Design

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Porfiry, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

<A HREf="http://www.apple.com/imac/">Cool, eh?</A>. Nay, it's beyond cool, it's sheer brilliance.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

design flaw

(but where will i stack my important papers?)

Bad to the bone. Damn I love Apple!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Papers!?! People still use paper these days??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zambino Registered Member

personally i think it looks cool, but i'd rather shoot my toe off instead of buying one. i hate apple computers. sure they look nice, but theres not all that much you can do with one, they're very limited. well thats my opionion, and it should be yours too! just kiddin

8. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I am about as ultimate a computer user as possible. I'm an internet pioneer, I'm a programmer. I develop internet applications, desktop applications, and games. I'm also a graphic designer.

My Mac has never failed me. So, you're just wrong.

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I've almost never used a MAC, and when I have it's been a disaster

I'll stick to my PC, even though it is a pretty neat design they've got going

10. Deus Seeker of Truth Registered Senior Member

My experience is true for me, thus it must be true for everyone. Right? I hope you're joking.

11. kmguru Staff Member

So, when can I be able to buy a computer with four screens (because they do not make a 36 inch LCD panel), where one computer drives all the panels and I can drag and drop windows to other panels? I am a multitasker, you can tell...

I like Mac, but Apple should move to the Intel platform. OS X is cool.

Will AOL buy Redhat and come up with an Apple and Microsoft killer? Kill two birds with one stone? Time will tell....

12. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Macs have had that sort of multi-screen capability for a very long time.

Do you mean that Apple should use Intel chips, or that Mac OS X should run on any beige-box PC? Because, the issues are different. There's no reason for the former (dual-G4s outperform Pentium 4's by a sizeable margin). The latter would be a fatal business move, unless Apple were to succeed gloriously. The resource drain needed to support such an effort would probably kill Apple if it failed.

13. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I want a screen that wraps 180 degrees around your desk, that would be cool

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

MAC is kool,i have a laptop and it works nicely,never had a problem with it.

MAC has had plug 'n play for a long time,did IBM family have it earlier?i am not too sure...

OS X is pretty nice.

bye!

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

You have credit Apple for great designing though,they have some of the best looking ones...

bye!

16. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

verry nice

Design,
    I'm a designer too, btw what's the dot pitch of those screen? I couldn't find it on the specs page,.......

17. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

1024x768

Of course, the design is flexible enough that Apple can easily swap in larger displays when component prices make it possible.

I actually saw one of these things in person the other day (university bookstore finally got one), and I'm quite impressed. The purity of the aesthetic is quite compelling (from the perspective of the user, it appears as this simple frame that floats in space -- the base is hidden away behind the frame).

18. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'd be the proud owner of a mac right now, porfiry, I recognize that they are better computers, and better looking . They're fulfilling the sleek-design-y wave of the future

But, alas, I don't own one, why you ask? Because I'm a pc gamer . There are really hardly any games for the macintosh, the pc is the primary platform for gaming, mac users wait months or don't get the latest games at all simply because they weren't designed for macs. I have a friend right now who has an imac, its a beautiful machine but it doesn't have a floppy drive! He also can't play games on it, and he's very sad about it

THAT is the only flaw for macs (plus their real lack of a current tv ad campaign, even though the pictures of this AWSOME machine have popped up everywhere). PC's will continue to dominate as long as developers are making pc based games.

19. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

You're entirely correct about games. I myself left the Mac platform a few years ago when I started attending university (because, the first 3 years of university are prime gaming years). Alas, I suppose I grew up (or the game industry just sucks), because I haven't played a compelling computer game in at least a year. (I *really* think it's the industry -- Half Life was the last game I really enjoyed).

But, since PC hardware is so cheap, I'd imagine keeping a decent PC for games only is a reasonable option (say $500 at most for a barebones PC).

Nor does it have a punch card reader.

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

At the moment I'd suggest No One Lives Forever, Imperium Galactica 2, Starcraft and Starcraft: Broodwar, and Diablo 2. These games are in every genre except adventure (you'd probably have more fun reading a book than playing one of those games). Maybe this'll get you back into 'the buzz.' The best pc games website out there is gamespot . All of the games I mentioned you could probably get for $20 or less if you scrounged around the internet a bit

wha??

21. kmguru Staff Member

It is the age old struggle between Beta vs VHS. or more like G4 and Intel. Unless IBM stays and continually improves the G4, Motorola may give up and then there goes the Mac....

Have you seen the Motorola stock lately? With a operating profit of -18.4% (Yahoo), how long they can bleed?

22. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Not at all. OS X is processor-agnostic. There's no reason Apple couldn't switch to Intel/AMD chips if it was forced. Remember that the NeXTStep OS that OS X is derived from ran primarily on x86.

It's a good thing the semiconductor division of Motorola is profitable.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As far as I can remember (Unless anything has changed)
    PC's were 32Bit (Of course they've progressed) and MAC's were 24Bit.

PC's were and still are far more unstable for art packages than MACS. PC's had more variability than MAC back then, but I kinda liked the look of them, even though I've only ever used one once and haven't had the chance to get hold of one now.

I do intend to add a MAC to my Arsenal. As I'm a collector of fine things (or inadequite when you look at my 486x66 lol)

In away Porfiry, I'm jelous

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.