tax money and the military,

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Feb 16, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

howmuch of US and UK tax money per year is spent on the military?.

are there exact figures of howmuch of our hard earned money goes on there weapons of destruction.

on anouther note, its funny how i cant legally own a gun in england to protect myself (wich in my area you need) and will go to jail for owning one, but when war is declaired funny howfast they put the gat in my hand then isnt it and tell me to kill.

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Guilty_Biscuit Registered Member

You have raised an interesting question. The first time I saw the figure was in the British army pocket guidem I can't find it at the moment but there are figures for the UK and they are available on the net. To get a view over a number of years have a look at:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn25.pdf

Annual defense spending in the UK is around £40 billion. This makes up about 7% of government spending.

In contrast, health spending is around 14% and spending on benefits is around 30%.

The good thing about the link above is that you can see that over the past 50 years or so the trend has been for defense spending to shrink and health and benefits spending to increase as a proportion of total government expenditure quite dramatically.

It should also be noted that spending on the British army is not simply spending on weapons of destruction. A major role of the army is carrying out our international duty in neccersary UN peacekeeping operations around the world. There is more to it than blowing the shit out of other countries.

I believe that US military spending is around half a trillion dollars per year. However I don't know what proportion of governmnet spending that constitutes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. terryoh Registered Senior Member

although it doesn't seem official, a good estimate of US defence spending is a bit over $520 Billion.

i got it from www.federalbudget.com *shrugs*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Far more of our (US) war budget should go to NASA and the national science foundation.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i agree 100000% with roman, more needs to be spend on education, and cleaning up our own streets there disgusting, more needs to be spent on good causes instead of war machines. i wont go and say military is not needed, ofcourse it is, you cant be open to attack,

but look at the obvious, the military is not built for defence, it is motivated for attack,
    yes im aware that, the military should concerntrate on defending the country, more than building invasion fleets, because that is what most of there machinery consists of,

im aware targets overseas need to be eliminated for defence reasons, ie communications radar espionage is necesary to keep updated and one step ahead of your enemy, but mass invasion fleets are for devide and conquor. i might not know all of the little fickle details and laws of the government and politics, but i know what i see, i am versed in warfare and militant strategy, i know a world dominating empire when i see one, not a united nation of peace. but one of war and domination, "my way or the highway" we govern the world like we own all countrys, we dont promote peace and love, we promote war and oppression,

peace.