help pick and experiment

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by My Sexy Blue Feet, Feb 15, 2006.

1. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

I need help finding an experiment to do for a subject at uni. It can be anything, preferably biology , and it has to pass the ethics committee.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You can come and do some genotyping for me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

I don't have a lab to work with, it's just a what-i-can-manage-to-rig-up-in-my-garage idea

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hey, if it's free, I need some qPCR done.

Geoff

8. Roman Banned Banned

Maybe you could build explosives out of stuff that's easy to get, to uh... combat terrorism.

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Yeah, try making some explosives out of Strepsils and sugar. I did that once for an experiment...pity it was for psychology.

10. Roman Banned Banned

I'm partial to styrofoam and gasoline. Makes for a sticky molotov. For the 'fuse', tampons dipped in gasoline and taped to the outside are far, far safer than the classic oily-rag-jammed-in-hole. The bottle can be capped off, the tampon lit, and then throw it at something hard.

That's not really an explosive, but it burns for a long time.

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

naphthalene gas bomb!
    rarr

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

no lab at the uni? What kind of uni is that!!

Get some light sensitive bugs (found under rocks and such). Put them in a petridish. Record their behaviour under different light conditions. (petridish half covered etc - measure movement - divide for instance petridish into zones and measure how many times it crosses zones in a certain time and maybe which zones). Throw in some experiments related to humidity conditions. Or temperature. bla bla
    Stick to one species. Make it reliable and simple. Record data meticulously.

You can do this for any bug. Think about what kind of conditions it lives in. Think about if its behavioural patterns might be adapted to finding such favourable conditions. Devise some very simple experiments to test some variables.

keep it simple.

Have controls.

try to find experiments that test one variable at a time.

13. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

It's a do at home experiment, uni does have labs but they're busy. We only have a dozen labs or so.

I was thinking magnets and plants, and pumping them full of ferric oxide or something. Some metal ion.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

i can provide instructions to make a urine bomb

i came across the instructions while surfing the web
    i saved the page to cd
    it's laying around here somewhere
    i'll look it up if you want it

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

another good project would be to build an accurate triple beam scale

i attempted something like that but discovered i didn't have any accurate
    weights to calibrate it

mine was so sensitive it could weight a postage stamp
    but since i couldn't calibrate the scale i didn't know how much the stamp weighed

16. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

i built a scale that was senstive to the miligram... and i do have calibrated weights.

biology??? humm..

why not build a complete self contained microbiology lab??

i.e.. a large sealed box.. with a large window.. and arm holes.. with set in place gloves and sleeves on the box.. so you can work without breaking the seal.
    and a hepafilter with a small fan.. to sterilise the air within...
    a hygrometer to show the internal humidty.
    a themometer.. for temp.
    a or large sealed cup of water in side with a temp controlled water heater to set the temp at 85 degrees.. and hold it there.
    a co2 sensor if you can find one...
    small lights etc...

and of course, petre dishes.. agar solutions to fill the dishes..

and if you really want to have fun.. grow some real mushrooms..
    but for that you will need a second chamber and more equiptment...

if you take this on.. i will offer all i know in the building process.

the nice thing about this project, is that it must be done right.. it is a sterile lab.. and as such can demonstrate the concept of our un-sterile enviorment.

ie.. a new petre dish.. can get loaDed with all kinds of fungis and bacteria, just from one tenth of a sec exposure to fresh air..

a new one in the chamber will stay clean.. the dirty one will grow all kinds of stuff..

all kinds of neat stuff people can look at.. in the petre dishs. but should'nt open and touch.

you can then give a presentation of the basic processes in microbiology studies such as using the sterile enviorment to allow for the controlled growth of specific strains of whatever.. without the mixed bag we automatically get with a non-sterile enviorment.

it explains why operating rooms are sterile..

why it is important to have sterile enviorments at all.. and how we use them.

-MT

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

what are they? where did you get them?

18. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

I GOT them.. from my local chemical supply store.. tri-ess sciences in burbank CA...

they have everything you could want for your chemistry lab.. but they wont sell somethings without a license.. due to those damm terrorists.
    -MT

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would imagine the DEA has something to do with that too.