Paper books are they dead?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by alexb123, Feb 14, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have just packed away all of my books because I am moving. I will not see these books now until September. I do not think that this will cause me a problem, which is a surprised.

I always rated my books are one of best and most important possessions. But now they are generally redundant.

In fact it seems very out dated to not be able to search a written document without a specific search.

It's only on packing my books that I realise just how redundant books are these days. Before packing I would have claim books were as important as ever, but clearly they are not.

Also, a good quality electronic book has just been released, surely this will be a big nail in the coffin of the traditional book.

Maybe the future of the written word is looking bright with the new technology and the humble book is now only becoming an object of nostalgia?

What are your views?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You are probably right. Things change. Personally, I love crawling into bed at night with a good book. I don't know what will replace that though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

A woman?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I thought electronic books still caused more eyestrain, or is this no longer a problem?

8. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

LOL. Maybe.

9. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

The latest e-book thingy is meant to be as good or almost as good as paper. It's very expensive at the moment but it looks good. I am keen to get one when the price comes down. I want to be able to take downloaded texts with me and do document searchies, I think it will be an exciting time.

10. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

11. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

Eventually, you're probably right. But I think it'll be a long time before people stop wanting to read paper books. The feel of a book in your hand, the sensation of turning pages, even having odd little things marking your place, are all things that people won't give up easily, even if they think they want to.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I suppose as a student you read mostly non-fiction, and when you read fiction you have to report on it so you need to be able to search. You don't need any of that when you read for pleasure so hard copy is still fine.

My generation is accustomed to paper so we'll probably stay with it. But your generation is used to e-books. As you grow older and your eyes grow weaker you'll be able to avoid "reading glasses" by just enlarging the font on your screen. That will be a major advantage over hard copy.

13. Far far better Registered Member

Distractions are a huge problem with e-books. Distractions are also there in the real world as well, but it's not the same. Reading an e-book, there you sit, mouse-in-hand... Reading a chapter... Then the mouse is drawn inexorably to the task bar... to the internet browser... to the refresh button to see if an interesting post has been made in your favorite forum... to your email to see if that email you've been waiting for is in... etc...

The insidiousness of the distraction is that it isn't even necessarily the obligatory distractions mentioned above. Many times, I find myself going to my web browser to look something up from my readings. Going to wikipedia to research some obscure reference... and such begins the grand and merry chase on the information superhighway... minutes to hours later you realize how much time has passed and you pull your eyes from the browser and back to the book but so much time has elapsed... and within minutes another obscure reference demands research and it begins again...

One must exercise more discipline reading e-books is what I'm trying to say. But, as I mentioned earlier, these distractions exist in the real world as well, but, to me, the real world doesn't distract as easily. Therefore, perhaps I shouldn't say that e-books require more discipline, merely a different type of discipline.

One must break the tendency to 'multitask'.

Also, there is much to be said for the feel of paper. Flipping pages. Running your fingers along the page. Perhaps jotting notes down in the margin and underlining key phrases.

There are products in the works to deal with just this issue though. Digital paper. The problem being that these products are years away from being worthwhile, both in expense and versatility.

Another thing to consider is the material which one has available. There are a multitude of works in print that will never make it to e-book status. Even when e-books become commonplace (something which is still years away) there will always be obscure works available only in print. Tucked away in the dark recesses of a library or musty old bookstore or perhaps on sale for a dime in the local thrift store...

Treasures await.
    And paper books will never die.

14. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Nuffing like a good paper book!

"Hey, hey, my, my, rock and roll will never die,
    My, my, hey, hey, paper books are here to stay."

(aplogies to Neil)

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I love the texture and smell of a book. Books are pieces of art.

Electronic texts are more about saving money.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

One good thing about electronic texts, though ...is if I am short on cash, they can be easily pirated.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Did you ever drop a paperback in the tub? No big deal. Drop your ebook, different story. Until ebooks are as cheap and disposible as paperbacks, they'll never replace them.

18. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Plus e-books take power (electricity). I've been reading a lot of end-of-the-world books lately (Lucifer's Hammer was good) where power is quite rare.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I just can't read books on computer and I doubt I could on any startrek ripoff tablet either. There is just something that feels right about having rough fiber under your fingertips. Anything else would seem like the literary equivalent of food cubes.

20. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

They use very little power, once the imagine is on the screen it takes no power at all to keep it there.

21. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I agree with you and I think most people here do as well. But I bet you in 5 years it will be a diff story. Maybe its like Vinly vs CD, Vinly sounds better because it fits the way we hear better. But CD's win over because they give us so much more control and versatility.

22. Facial Valued Senior Member

Anything learned from an actual piece of paper is deemed precious nowadays. Or at least to me.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like to look at my bookshelves and choose one of those beautiful things and all the thoughts I have put in them. Printed books are a lot more personal.
    And I love to write notes on the sides of pages - new ideas, responses to the author, put a smiley there and there.
    And you can't take a computer monitor to bath or with you to a forest or a seaside,
    and I don't have to worry of them running out of bats.

And in the end a good book is something you enjoy reading from cover to cover, a search is something not needed.
    Otherwise for technical books and books for studies I imagine.