New plan for offenders

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mythbuster, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

The current government in the UK currently has a plan to increase the 'chain gang' factor when it comes to punishments for criminals, thats is, criminals are forced to wear uniforms and perform hard labour without pay on things such as the construction of the stadium for the London olympics.

Me? I think this is a fantastic idea personally. Having to work hard for nothing I believe is a superior deterrent to potential criminals who would otherwise get the holiday camp that is prison where they dont have to pay taxes or anything and I believe its a better option or the taxpayers too who will not have to pay as much for detaining scum in homes.

And they return something to the community too which they bllody should, I want to see these vermin sweating their damn balls off. (Plus no matter what those pussies at the European Court of Human Rights says, the possibilities of criminals who bitch getting whipped is fun

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

Thankfully sever criminals who are a major danger to society (murderers and such) will still be locked up though personally I think execution or using them for experiments (human subjects are bettet than animal ones, the ethics committes are a bit weak hough) would be an economically superior option.

Comments?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

It's not going to be long until we have Penal Legions in our armies. I mean, the French abuse the French Foreign Legion sending them on the most suicidal of missions (plus they're probably the only people in the French military that can actually fight

).

Actually making criminals do some hard graft isn't such a bad idea at all. The British legal system is a joke at the moment, people are quite literally getting away with murder nowadays and no-one wants to spend the money on a much needed reform. It's been tried many times in the past but most of the time it's been rejected.

The only problem with the whole 'chain gang' approach I can forsee is keeping the crooks in check. It will cost a lot in both manpower and equipment to keep these people from legging it. Forget human rights, just call this 'Community Service Plus'

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There was an article in the Washington Post a couple of weeks ago on this issue. Apparently it's been established beyond reasonable doubt that by any measure you choose, chain gangs are not effective.

1. They don't rehabilitate convicts. It's the abusive-parent syndrome. The vast majority of violent criminals were abused children. You don't turn them into decent human beings by providing them with a counterexample for a role model and giving them fresh wounds to resent on top of the ones that are still festering.

2. They aren't a cheap source of labor. We figured out that slavery is not cost-effective almost 200 years ago (in most places) and chain gangs are just another form of slavery. You can get roads built better and cheaper by civil engineers with road-building machinery.

3. They don't lower the cost of incarceration. It takes a lot more guards, dogs, equipment, guns, tools, medical care, and administrators to run a prison whose inmates are outside the razor wire working with destructive tools every day.

Prison is not a "holiday camp," at least not here in the USA and not for anybody except the whitest of white-collar computer criminals. Prison life is brutal. The ubiquitous sodomy alone utterly ruins most of the men who make it out alive.

Not to mention that sodomy gives AIDS a brand new vector for spreading among the general population. The African-American community is on its way to being as devastated by AIDS as the African-African community, and the single greatest cause is the fact that so many of its male members get tossed in prison, overwhelmingly for non-violent drug offenses that wouldn't even be crimes if our goddess-damned court system had the spine to uphold the Constitution.

From casual comments I read, I don't believe prison is much different over there.

Chain gangs are out of vogue for the very good reason that they don't do anybody any good. You have to go into the regions of America that are still in the Stone Age to find any.

I am opposed to capital punishment for the reason that killing someone--anyone--because you don't like what they do--no matter how much you think they shouldn't be allowed to do that--violates the basic definition of "civilization": You don't get to kill people, ever. ("Two wrongs don't make a right" is also a rule of civilization.)

That said, people who cannot be rehabilitated can be called upon to give something back to the society that provides them food and shelter. Medical research isn't a bad idea. But you have to be careful with the concept of rehabilitation. Most murders are crimes of passion and the odds of the average passion-murderer going back out and committing a second murder are arguably lower than the chances of you or me doing it. They know what it feels like to live forever with that vivid memory so they are very unlikely to be stupid enough to do it again. We don't so we might be stupid enough to try it once like they were.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

Tough s*** for them, as far as I can see theyre in prison and arent worth bothering with. As far as I see it riminals are a useful mine of resources. You can put them to work and use the more dangerous criminals for experiments that may well advance science, everyone wins, except the criminals but they are the resource as far as I am concerned. They are there to make themselves useful in the service of repentence.

With this system I am proposing it is only the most dangerous criminals (psychotic killers and such)that should be used for experiments as thats the only use theyll be. As for other criminals, then the labour force is an excellent idea as they will be resotring to the socirty that they tried to destroy.

Everyone...Even the criminals to some degree, win as far as I can see, and working for no money sounds to me a superior deterrent to crime than prison. So I challenge anyone to dispute the points I have raisd, this would be interesting to see because I do not see how this could be debatable.

8. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

Not to mention that sodomy gives AIDS a brand new vector for spreading among the general population. The African-American community is on its way to being as devastated by AIDS as the African-African community, and the single greatest cause is the fact that so many of its male members get tossed in prison, overwhelmingly for non-violent drug offenses that wouldn't even be crimes if our goddess-damned court system had the spine to uphold the Constitution.

• 49% of prison inmates nationally are African American, compared to their 13% share of the

overall population.1

• Nearly one in three (32%) black males in the age group 20-29 is under some form of criminal

justice supervision on any given day -- either in prison or jail, or on probation or parole.2

• As of 1995, one in fourteen (7%) adult black males was incarcerated in prison or jail on any

given day, representing a doubling of this rate from 1985. The 1995 figure for white males

was 1%.

• A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in hislife. The figure for white males is 4%, and for Hispanics, 16%.While African American males have been the most severely affected demographic group withinthe criminal justice system, other minorities have also been disproportionately affected.Hispanics now constitute 17% of the prison population nationally, compared to their 10% shareof the total population. The number of Hispanic inmates increased by more than half in theperiod 1990-96. Women, and particularly minority women, while incarcerated in smallernumbers than men, have also experienced dramatic growth in recent years. The number ofwomen in the prison system increased by 418% from 1980 to 1995, compared to a rise of 236%for men. Black women are now incarcerated at a rate seven times that of white women.

With these outrageous statistics, it burdens my spirit to think they should suffer any further. It is well recorded and Documented in statistics that African Americans Are Poorer, Less Education, Live in Subsidized and crime ridden housing, have a Financial lack (Due to above Factors) and the list Goes on and on. Now Under these circumstances UNTIL there is something to "fix" Or "help" the African American, Or African Canadian, I would argue NO! On Hard Labor.

How ever! Statistics also show that Most Heinous acts of serial killing is done by occasion males between the ages 20 and 40. THOSE men should be Subject to Experimentation and treated like lab animals, Be given NO RIGHTS! They Should Be Humiliated then in Death Dissected. Their Bodies Could Do the Scientific Community a Great Help. As for Child Molesters Prison is a living hell For them, as it should be. But they too should have to (in my opinion) be subject to Scientific Research to advance Human Knowledge of the Functioning of the "Mad" mind.... So It's a Rough call.. But I have to say that UNTIL Something can BE done to GIVE African Americans and African Canadians Decent Lawyers that don't get into it for the money, It should be kept as is.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't think we're so far apart here. We don't lose a lot of sleep about the plight of truly nasty people. The problem is our justice system. Its error rate is frightening. I was surprised to spend some time with Google and get nowhere on this. Either the statistics haven't been compiled or the government has more control over the press than I gave it credit for.

But enough bits and pieces get through the sieve to be alarming. Thirteen death-row inmates in a single state (Illinois) were found to be wrongfully convicted. People whose guilt has not been established are convicted by the thousands due to incompetent legal counsel, corrupt witnesses, prejudiced juries, and a host of other reasons. I believe we've gone over the hump and now more than half of our prison population are non-violent drug offenders -- consenting adults deciding what they want to do with their own bodies and good little capitalists taking the opportunity to sell them what they want just like the tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine pushers do every day.

I realize that "wrongly convicted" is not the same as "innocent," but it is the same as "we've got no idea here." Some of them surely are innocent.

Some of the people you hard-liners want to put on chain gangs (and whom the even harder-liners want to execute) are innocent and in prison because of a mistake.

10. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

I realize that "wrongly convicted" is not the same as "innocent," but it is the same as "we've got no idea here." Some of them surely are innocent.

Some of the people you hard-liners want to put on chain gangs (and whom the even harder-liners want to execute) are innocent and in prison because of a mistake.[/QUOTE]

This is Also Right... I forgot about that statistic

No, Somthing needs to be done with ALL Juditial systems before "chain Gangs" and "mass slauters" is an option.