Women don't feel attachment with their identity

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Buddha1, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

My observation is that women don't feel attached to their social identities and their native country or their place of birth, or their religion, etc.

I was talking to a woman and I was amazed at her lack of attachment with her ancestral land.

Women tend to forego their identity for that of their husbands.

If it only in traditional societies, or do the western nations also share this behaviour.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What does that have to do with gender? It's called being cosmopolitain which from Latin means "citizen of cosmos".
    I'm no woman and I have no attachment to the things you mentioned.
    Besides what does "their religion" mean? I thought that is a personal thing for each person to choose on his/her own (or none).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

what drugs do you do? i want some....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I have left my ancestral homeland for my wife's sake.

8. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

I don't think so. I mean I'm a women and I go to church, I read the bible, I'm trying to learn Gaelic (Since my native country is Ireland), I wanted the SeaHawks too win so bad I cried (Since I was born in Washington), I think I'm pretty attached to my social identities. I've been reading a lot of books by Irish writers and so on. I make Celtic art work as well.
    My mom is French and I'm learning some french cooking, and loving the wine from there.
    I am attached to my religion. I even have "rebel of the sacred heart" under my name.
    I think men tend to drift away from their religion more often. My dad hasn't stepped foot in a church in eight years, and my mom on the other hand goes whenever she can.
    I'm not saying all women are like that, but in most women do care about that stuff and take pride in what they are.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Me either, identifying with a nation or social role is stupid.

10. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

O.K. I'm only trying to understand this better and clear my thoughts.

It seems to me that women are by nature more individualistic, less community minded and in fact more pragmatic in the short run --- their interest being limited to their famiily, i.e. husband and children, especially children. She will make a number of sacrifices for their sake.

A man on the other hand seems to be more community minded and likely to make a lot of personal sacrifices for the community's sake. This is perhaps why social identities mean so much to men that they are willing to fight for them. Men are also likely to be 'considered' impractical in the short run or as far as personal interests are concerned,and more likely to be involved with macro things like policits, philosophy and religion.

I mean yes there are many exceptions on both sides but I'm talking about the basic nature of men and women. And yes, its just my initial thoughts, so I could be wrong.

It also seems that things are different in the western society. Because it is a mixed gender society, and social pressures of men are different, the distinction between men and women is much less. But even then some differences are bound to be observable.

11. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I would argue, Bhudda, that women aren't so involved in politics/religion et. al. because they have been kept out of the running of these 'establishment' areas of life since the year dot. It isn't because they can't be bothered, or are more focussed on their kids, or don't understand the workings--it's because they've been deliberately stopped from entering these professions.

12. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

You could be right, and you could be wrong too. Surely there have been women who are interested in several things that men do. But I'm talking about the majority.

I'm mean there were Female warriors in ancient times --- which shows that women had the freedom to do things that men usually do --- but that they chose not to.

Even in a strictly heterosexual society which encourages (I'd say forces) women to be like men, and 'snatch' the power from men whereever men are, women still largely prefer to concentrate on their kids and family. Of course it is an important task and one that requires and should be given adequate time and attention --- for which only a woman is naturally geared. If she applies her skills elsewhere she will not do justice to her nature's call.

All that my female cousin wanted was a husband who would earn a great deal so that she doesn't have to work outside and she could look after her home. She got married to someone who stopped earning, and she has to earn, and she is not happy at all.

13. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

lol!

14. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

No, that's characterization, not observation. One does not observe feelings.

Interview my aunt. It was her research that awoke my interest in genealogy.

Ask her the exact same questions you asked this other woman, and then perhaps you'll have the beginnings of observation, in the social-scientific sense.

Identities change over time, they are not surrendered.

Explain what you mean by "traditional societies" and list the western nations; nations of the western hemisphere? Europe? Australia?

You're entitled to your sexist beliefs, ofcourse, but so far (about women not being attached to their social identities, et al) they do not intersect objective reality.

Good luck to you, Sir.

15. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

I do not think he is sexist, but I do think he happens to be really fucking dumb. There is a clear difference between the two, and in this case, I do not see the overlap. He is obviously misguided, and I think that accounts for everything at hand.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

If you want to talk about majorities, do some statistics first. Otherwise, it's all speculation.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh jeez buddha
    whats this all about
    wait a minute let me guess
    95% of women have a sexual need for other women right?

18. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

You're overwhelmed by me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. mountainhare Banned Banned

Buddha:
    Good God, please stop!!! I can feel my IQ rapidly dropping from 'Genius' to 'Highly Intelligent'.

20. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I agree.

21. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I love the wine from EVERYWHERE!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Don't tend to see many old men helping out at the local fete, whereas old women abound. Men instead tend to be sitting in the boozer more concerned over who's going to win the cricket/footy. I wouldn't exactly call women "less community minded".

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

what are you grinning about buddha?