stupid laws

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by leopold, Feb 9, 2006.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i guess this is the right place for this
    i was going to put it in the justice forum but decided this is more appropriate
    feel free to add to this stupidity with some gems of your own

Stupid laws from Indiana include:

1. Drinks on the house are illegal.

2. It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public.

3. The value of Pi is 3 and not 3.1415.

4. It is illegal for barbers to threaten to cut off kids' ears.

5. Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March.

6. Moustaches are illegal if the bearer has a tendency to habitually kiss other humans.

7. It is against the law to pass a horse on the street.

8. It is illegal to make a monkey smoke a cigarette.

in Kentucky:

9. It used to be against the law to appear in public in bathing gear. That included coming out of your house to get your morning paper in your bathrobe.

10. To dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale, unless you are selling more than six at once.

11. In Lexington you're considered "sober" until you "cannot hold on to the ground."

12. Our stupidest, stupid law comes from Fort Thomas, Kentucky. In that town, it is illegal for dogs to molest cars -- or people

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Victor E Registered Senior Member

haha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

of all those...and you picked this one..

.... its actually sad...for them...the people from Indiana...

they've gone back the timeline

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

roflz~ beats Ohio...

"We rig Elections and kill Rock Stars, Yo"

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

California:

It's illegal to spit on the sidewalk

A hunting permit is required to set a mousetrap

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The American legal system is designed to train people to beat the system. To break laws and get away with it. People think that laws like this are left over from a more ignorant era because legislators forget about them, because they don't have time for trivia.

Wrong. Laws like this are left on the books deliberately, to remind us that laws are there to be broken. The challenge is to figure out which ones we're supposed to break and which ones we're supposed to obey.

10. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I had heard that the reason these laws get left on the books is because it's cheaper to not enforce them than it is to call together an assembly to determine which laws are now pointless or obsolete.

Okay, okay. I should have guessed. Legislators being prudent with taxpayer dollars? Yeah, that's quite a reach...

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Actually, a great number of "absurd laws" you can come accross are nothing more than urban legends. If you actually get a copy of the law for your state, you won't find many of these laws. The laws are public knowlege; you don't need to be a lawyer or anything to look up the actual statutes. Go to the library and do some research, or go onto google and do research, and I think you will be surprised at how many are bogus. In fact, many of them are simply misinterpretations of the law by the masses who can't understand the legalese.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

some more idiocy from indiana

Waitresses may not carry drinks into a restaurant or bar

Hotel sheets must be exactly 99 inches long and 81 inches wide.

If any person has a puppet show, wire dancing or tumbling act in the state of Indiana and receives money for it, they will be fined $3 under the Act to Prevent Certain Immoral Practices.

Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day.

A three dollar fine per pack will be imposed on anyone playing cards in Indiana under the Act for the Prevention of Gaming.

One may not sniff glue.

It is illegal to sell cars on Sunday.

Oral sex is illegal.

A man over the age of 18 may be arrested for statutory rape if the passenger in his car is not wearing her socks and shoes, and is under the age of 17.

No one may throw an old computer across the street at their neighbor.

13. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

Oh!!! They can't help that.
    Ha ha, that's funny though. "I'm going to lock you up for being a naughty boy." ha ha

14. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

It's illegal in California to drive barefoot. I actually had a cop confirm this when I got pulled over for speeding (and I was barefoot!!!!). Ostensibly it's because your feet would be more likely to slip off the pedals. I've driven barefoot and find the soles of my feet to be quite grippy on them.

I saw on TV something about it being illegal to own more than something like 3 vibrators in Texas. I remember they considered it to be tantamount to having an inventory and therefore seliing without a license. Intent to distribute? "NEVER MIND THE DRUGS! STEP AWAY FROM THE DILDOS!"

15. draqon Banned Banned

It is illegal, in state of Washington, to directly solve the problem our country is in, that is to assassinate Bush.

16. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Won't directly solve anything. Popping Kennedy didn't solve anything. Neither did popping Lincoln or Garfield. They tried to pop Jackson, but all that would have done was make a couple of newspapers happy. Killing a president only leaves us with a guy whose election we really had no say in except that he was part of the package deal for the first guy.

When the nation is in the tank, it isn't solely the president's fault. He's not a king. You've got advisors, Special Interest Groups, lobbyists, senators, representatives, etc whom you would also have to assassinate. (Since at least some of those lobbyists are the NRA, you may want to be very careful about your shot placement.) Now you have to move on to the Supreme Court and figure out whether it would be better to start at the top or the bottom. Better to put the gun away and just vote in the next election.

When you look at it, the president isn't too much more than a figurehead. He has to do what all those people tell him to do. That's why a president tries to stock the cabinets and such with as many of his buddies as he can, so they'll at least tell him to do things that he wants to do anyway. This "spoils system" started with Jackson when he realized that people who were out to fuck him up were pushing their way into key posts (and you wouldn't believe where that started from!) just so they could cripple the government and blame it on him. He pushed his pals into place, which didn't result in much an improvement over what might have been (except to avoid a total lock-up of the government*), and those that benefitted made sure the system stayed in place. It was one of Jackson's bigger regrets in his life.

*England had a few people waiting in the wings for this to happen. Still upset over the loss of the colonies and the lack of any gain in the War of 1812, it wouldn't be until a damned sight closer to the 20th century when she'd get over it. In the meantime, she still felt the need to teach us a lesson and tried to work the economy over through the Bank of the United States, Jackson's arch-nemesis. England was very interested in seeing a total economic collapse of the US.

17. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

Yeah! That "solution" to the problem would totally bring the entire country to an instantaneous, impenetrable state of peace, tolerance, and equilibrium! You must be a fucking genius!

18. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

I think everyone realizes that THAT would make Dick Cheney President... and, heh, nobody wants that...

Except Dick Cheney...

19. Raven Registered Senior Member

In San Fransisco ugly people can't walk. In Florida it is against the law to molest an alligater.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

there are probably more than a few british patriots that still are

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

young men have it rough

some of the poor slobs pop a boner just for the hell of it

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

You know it’s good to know that in a time when people’s civil liberties are being pushed aside to increaase the national security window dressing, the ACLU still has time to stand up for the bigger kookballs.

HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. — A male high school student can wear a skirt to school after the American Civil Liberties Union reached an agreement with school officials.The ACLU announced the deal Tuesday. It will allow a Hasbrouck Heights School senior to wear a skirt to protest the school’s no-shorts policy.
    The district’s dress code bans shorts between Oct. 1 and April 15, but allows skirts, a policy 17-year-old Michael Coviello believes is discriminatory.
    http://www.dumb-lawsuits.com/

long live the ACLU

23. Roman Banned Banned

Personally, I love walking around in tight jeans, without underwear on, my raging boner protruding through thin denim. Goddamn Indiana fascists.

Isn't the biblical value of pi given as 3?