True Facts about Time & infinite parallel worlds.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by infinitethoughts, Feb 7, 2006.

1. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

What you think of as the movement of "time" is an "optical illusion", so to speak. Well actually a better word would be a "mind illusion".

Whats really going on is you are moving thru infinite parallel universes (I.P.U's.) by the decisions you make.

Example:
    You decide not to go to work. You decide to have lunch at Lupe's, the Mother of All Taco Stands. After that you decide to take your Kawasaki Ninja 900 (this model came with a factory race engine back in the 90's) for a little road trip. After that you decide......etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. (You get the point.)

Now, here comes the important part............some people will argue that it is the movement of "time" bringing all these experiences to you. It's not. It's you deciding. You are a deciding machine. That's what you do. That is all that you can do. Is decide. 24 hours a day.

Now. If you break your cultural conditioning, you'll be able to move more and more freely in the I.P.U's. Miracles will then become more common place. Your life will never be the same.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You stated that these were going to be "facts." So far all you have given us is "opinions" or "speculations." This belongs in the Philosophy forum.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Interesting idea though, I mist say. The alternative universes or timelines in my view would be the paths we didn't take--we said yes where we could have said know and vica versa. According to some models of quantum physics these paths have equal validity.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Azael Registered Senior Member

Pfft.

I agree with the statement that time is an, "illusion" as you put it, but in the very same line of thought "decisions" are also an illusion. Time may be a human invention to make sense of change (moving particles etc.) but the same logic would dictate that choices are an illusion to make sense of the finer points of neurobiology.

As a philosophy, yeah, I agree that it's better to 'make choices' rather than to just let things happen. If you take charge of life, fate seems to intervene just to help you out

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

What I'm doing is going a step further and saying every new moment is actually us choosing (consciously or unconsciously) from the multiverse around us.

This whole process I'd say, we erroneously call the march of "time".

9. Azael Registered Senior Member

I'm still wondering why you think the concept of a decision is any more valid than the concept of time infinitethoughts..

10. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

Well thats an interesting comment you made, to say that decisions are illusions.

To me that doesn't make sense, cause if you believe that then what would make us automatons, no?

11. Azael Registered Senior Member

And how do you know that you are not an automaton? Don't equate not being able to decide with being an automaton. Automatons are not sentient, but while we live in a deterministic universe (as presumed by science) we are sentient.

Neurobiologists would tell you that your thoughts and moods are neurochemical in nature, so it's all just physics on a small scale, and no 'choice' is made.

12. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

You addressed one issue but not the other. Time passes by whether you like it or not. A train moving close to the speed of light will appear slower to the observer and will hence need a slower clock to measure it's speed, such is the relativity of time and motion. On the other hand there is the uncertainty principle, which states that upon observation of a system you have disturbed the system. By large this confirms the theory of relativity and postulates that there is no absolute frame of reference but yours. Either its time moving or you making observations and choices, its really anyone's and no one's guess.

13. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

An automaton cannot choose it's own decisions, hence the term automaton.

Human beings can.

14. Azael Registered Senior Member

Ok, what about answering the question now?

15. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

I just did. Automatons are not capable of making choices. Humans can. I'm a human. I have the capacity of self reflection, which means the ability to choose any thought I want. This is the definition of a free will being vs. an automaton.

16. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

Actually you can narrow it down to more then a guess.

Time does not exist in a dimension by itself as mainstream science would have it. (Cutting edge quantum physics is pointing this out as you mentioned above.) If time was an objective occurance it would be impossible to be relative to an observer.

So what is this "change" that we experience? I propose that it is awareness navigating thru the multiverses.

17. Azael Registered Senior Member

Your arguement is totally circular then. You say that you are not an automaton because you make 'choices' and can 'self-reflect', and you say that choices are not an illusion because you are not an automaton.

Do you see the sense in that?

18. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

Azael, now I am thoroughly confused by what you're trying to say.

The definition for an Automaton:
    Automaton (From Webster's Dictionary) A
    machine, robot, or formal system designed to follow a
    precise sequence of instructions.

Now we have an actual definiton. Once again I'll say a conscious human being is not an automaton and makes conscious free will choices.

An automaton cannot do this.

Maybe explain to me your theory in practical terms how humans cannot make freewill decisions, and then I'll be better able to understand where you're coming from.

19. Azael Registered Senior Member

The question is "How do you know this?"

20. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

How do I know I make conscious decisions?

Very simple.
    I am aware at any moment, I can choose any thought pattern I want.

If I could not choose any thought pattern I want, then I would not be making conscious decisions.

21. Azael Registered Senior Member

This is my point, you are equating "consciousness" with the ability to "make decisions". What makes you think that being conscious means that you are not bound by the deterministic laws which are said to govern your thoughts and behaviour?
    Theoretically, how can you verify that you're choosing anything?

22. infinitethoughts Registered Senior Member

Well of course consciousness is making decisions.
    If I were unconscious I would not have the ability to make decisions.

Deterministic laws? Who came up with these laws?

First I'd like to see who came up with them and then I'd like to fully examine their methods and reasoning for these laws.

How can I verify that I'm choosing anything?

This question is convoluted and overthought.
    Keep it simple.

How can I verify? Simple. Give me a choice of ten sports cars I like, and I will choose one I like. I have just verified that I make conscious choice.

Show me these deterministic laws that govern my every move, then we can further these discussion.

23. Azael Registered Senior Member

I've broken this down as much as I can. I seriously can't be bothered spending more time driving a thrice presented arguement.