How many information can our brains save?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Semon, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

120 Gb?

unlimited?
    limited?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

120 gb.....lol!!!!!!!!.....thats like nothing....information is definitely limited, the question is how do u save it...thing is...say computers for example...with lotsa memory u need faster rotation of the drive that is being used, so more power. humans have that power by creating blood pressure and heart is the power generator, so even though humans have the potential to save lotsa memory, that memory is not all accessible and is not as esily saved after the brain has already been used for different memories.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

Will I forget something if learn too many thing?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I believe that it is inevitable to forget something...

8. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

I mean if I learn too much skills will some of my other skills disappear...

9. draqon Banned Banned

well not dissapear...but unless you brush up on those skills, they will fade away, and you cant possible refresh your memory and every thing/skill you know...time here plays the key role...sadly or happily...we cannot control time

10. zeus_three Registered Member

Here's a humbling fact.

The human brain has a memory of 300 Mb (According to a lecturer i had a couple of years ago).

11. draqon Banned Banned

That lecturer had that memory

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

I think the individual brain can take a huge amount of information as long as it can compress the data in some sort of formula. However the brain is not inside the human but the external enviroment as well, so we are pretty much one gigantic brain. Remember we are social organisms forming a single macrorganism, each one has its own function like engineer, linguist, politics, e.t.c. Futurologists believe in the future we might be able to inplant microprocessors and memories in the brain, by which P.H.D's can be downloaded in minutes and save us time and money. Medicine still has a long way to go so you can never tell.
    Thats not true the human memory expands and contract depending on health, growth, and exercise, there is no set amount of memory to the brain. Its like a computer you can expand its memory by installing additional memory anytime.

Its because of lack of defragmentation but also because the enviroment also changes constantly. For example you don't remember what happend in the renaissance era because you are not in the same time. Hell!...you don't even remember what happened in 1990 do you?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  13. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

the more you use certain neurons, the more easily you can use them. that is why you become skilled in things you do every day, such as talking. you can recall it easily because it is easier for signals to pass through more often used nerves. neurons that are not used as often will die eventually.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Organic brains are analog, not digital. You can't measure the size of their memory capacity in bytes because bytes are a digital measure. You can count the number of brain cells and I suppose that's where that figure came from. But each cell does not correspond to one byte in a digital memory. Its contents are not limited to zero and one.

15. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Well, most people can only (at the most) interact with a group of about 150 peaople on a one-to-one basis. So maybe that amount of information retention indicates the limit of our brainpower at this stage of our evolution. Hope that helps.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!