Assuming you believe in god

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

If god has infinite freedom to choose the best, why, among all possible worlds, he chose this one?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Because Voltaire needed something to write about and you needed someone to plaigerize.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

if you would like to suggest reading on this subject, i'd be pleased to look it up

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

He didn't simply choose this world among many - He created it. And why not choose this one, anyway?

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

WHY do you suppose this is the only one???

gesh... thats alittle 7th century dont you think???

-MT

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Because maybe this is the best possible world for us, and because we are who we are, and He wanted us to be here so we can return to Him?

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

"Candide" by that vigorous valiant Voltaire.

11. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Yeah, why give us stomachs? It just invites the pain of hunger and starvation, and makes us waste most of our lives trying to satiate a bottomless pit.

Not to mention how unpleasant the waste is upon exit!

Why not fuel our bodies on a magical energy, rather than constrain us to 100% natural processes? So silly.

To paraphrase the Horse from Animal farm: "I would rather God have not given me a tail, and kept the flies."

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It is magical energy. ATP production is sheer magic.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. iam Banned Banned

Because evidently if "it" exists, it is a sadistic, anarchistic, moronic animal with bad taste, sorry vision and even less intelligence.

Even assuming you believe in god, what makes you think he just chose this "one?" We can't even get out of our own galaxy, know why we're here, how we got here and you are assuming what god has done and thinks.

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

He chose to create this world instead of a better one. That's what I think Varda meant.

Because it's not very good?

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I can't understand why he designed our bodies and all other animals, plants & bacteria to appear as if they had evolved into their current forms.

Why not throw some useless functions on us to abolish the whole evolution mumbo-jumbo.

16. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Exactly, S&D. Creationists refuse to see how remarkably like animals we really are. It's really odd.

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Well, I don't believe, but here's a speculation...

As I understand it - and I am probably merely introducing some nonsensical fanatstic element to the whole thing I no doubt thought up years gone by when I used to get stoned all the time, which somehow insinuated its way into my memory and now masquerades there quite effectively as "fact" - God created the "best" world as "Universe Mk I", populated it with Angels & whatnot which were bereft of free will - hence effectively robotic "yes men".

The result being rather ho-hum, He got bored & started over - "Universe Mk II", populated with Angels possessing free will.

The result being an attempted revolution, he got annoyed & started over - "Universe Mk III", populated with beings possessing free will, but sans big-assed flaming swords & super powers. We're still in the midst of that particular "version", as the outcome or result has not yet come to fruition.

One presumes that the reason or reasons that we do not understand the particulars of such parameters as troublesome guttiwuts and their attendant "brapping" noises and odorsome effluvial emissions is that it is not part of " God's Plan[/B "] that we do so.
    ie - there is a lesson in all this somewhere which we are supposed to be learning. The seedy, puzzling, loathesome and/or disgusting portions of human existence are all intentional.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what manner of enlightenment is supposed to be derived from them, or for that matter, what the actual " Plan " is...

Amen.

18. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Ah at last...someone who really understands the power of creation.

19. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

You don't go to Creation with the omnipotence you want, but the omnipotence you have.