The Centrist Party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by te jen, Feb 4, 2006.

1. te jen Registered Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by gregory85
    ...it apears tides are turning. Not for democrats but against the current Republican leadership. Who knows where it will end up but after hearing what i heard today on the news (first time in my life) i wouldnt be suprised if there was a major power struggle. I guess we will find out soon enough. ”

Sure enough. There is a segment of the Republican party that, though they are fairly ruthless in their own right, are getting REAL nervous about the people currently holding the reins. Republicans are taking a cold look at what they traditionally stood for - smaller government, freer markets, a strong military, civic duty, patriotism, and so on. They look at these values, and then look at what the neoconservatives are up to, and are unable to avoid the contradictions. We don't need to enumerate the contradictions at this point.

There's got to be a cadre of more or less centrist Republicans who are scared shitless at losing power through association with the madmen calling the shots. Moderate Republicans are in fact starting to appear - see http://moderaterepublican.net/id1.html. They were always the bedrock of the party until Reagan came along and swept the neoconservatives into power. The question now is whether or when the centrist Republicans will align themselves with centrist Democrats to form a coalition force. It would be so easy, and it would totally rock the Washington establishment.

Could a combination of intelligence officers and retired military, along with sympathetic active-duty military and the aforementioned centrists save the situation? I wonder what the trigger would be. An impending nuclear attack on Iran?

If such a thing were contemplated, I wonder if a palace coup would be possible? Are there enough disaffected people in the government to sweep the neocons out of power? Would the country stand for it?

Here I'm thinking of a group including Christie Todd Whitman, John Conyers, Lindsey Graham, Rudy Giuliani, Mark Udall, Bill Richardson, Mary Landreiu, Russ Feingold, Sherwood Boehlert, Chris Shays, Olympia Snowe and Jim Jeffords, just to name a dozen.

The margins are so razor-thin on almost every issue that if just one-quarter of each party bolted to a centrist coalition, they would represent the winning margin every time. They might even be able to win the presidency.

Imagine Whitman and Barack Obama operating as a sort of joint presidency.

Imagine how it would turn EVERYTHING on its head overnight. All the old power structures, all the lobbying systems, the two-party stranglehold on power and ideology, everything.