Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by seekeroftheway, Feb 3, 2006.

1. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

I'm obsessed with music. I've watched the video for "Warning" by Incubus, and it centers around the number 1024, as a time and as a normal number...does that have some sort of basis in something, or did they just pick a random number?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Its an important number for computers... (I haven't seen the video)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

stands for kilo

concerning that
    i also read that mega stands for 1 million, not 1024 squared
    and that giga stands for 1 billion, not 1024 cubed
    confused am i

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In computer terms a byte is 8 bits, or 2^4.
    A kilobyte is 1024 bytes, or 2^10 bytes.
    A megabtye is 1024 kilobytes, or 2^20 bytes.
    A gigabyte is 2^30 bytes.
    A terabyte is 2^40 bytes.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

9. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

some music is based on numberes meanful or funny to them
    liek the isnane clown posse there 1st album sold 17 copies opeaning day and alot of htere sogns have the nubmer 17 or else "16 passengers on the train 16 passangers plus the driver is 17. so it depends on the artist or band

10. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Seemed like it had some sort of symbolism to it or something...I should post this in the religion section and see if I get any bible junkies(no offense meant, please don't take any) to tell me anything about it. That or email incubus...

11. Anomalous Banned Banned

Rather I think it says the song will never climb 1024th place on any countdown charts

12. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Don't you have something better to do that insult yourself for the world to see?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

And the reason, which may help make sense out of all this, is that computers, which were created by humans, perform their calculations in binary (base two) arithmetic. Therefore computer architecture is organized in powers of two. One thousand twenty-four (1,024 base ten) is a nice round number in the binary notation system: 1,00000,00000. One thousand (1,000 base ten) is not: 11110,01000.

A computer with a counter that has ten binary digits ("bits") can address one thousand twenty-four different bytes, so there's no point in building computers that have only one thousand bytes. A computer with a twenty-bit counter can address one million forty-eight thousand five hundred seventy-six addresses, not one million, so they're built with 1,048,576 (base ten) bytes to address.

But the rest of the universe was not designed by man. Almost nothing in nature comes in neat sets of two or ten. Most measures are not even integral, so there's no inherent advantage to using base two or base ten numbering.

And since humans have been using the base ten number system since they learned to count--something to do with using our fingers originally--base ten arithmetic is well established. It's used by all scientists, all engineers, all craftspeople, all businesspeople, all students... well everybody on the planet uses it with interesting but statistically insignificant exceptions. (Linguistic evidence suggests that the Basques used base five because their language borrowed the number six from Spanish. French has remnants of base twenty: 92 is quatre-vingts douze, "four score twelve".)

So the triple-order-of-magnitude prefixes kilo-, mega-, giga-, etc., are used for the nice round numbers that our language with its built-in decimal number system gives us: 1,000 (base ten); 1,000,000 (base ten); 1,000,000,000 (base ten); etc.

And the same prefixes are used in the world of I.T. for the dectuple-order-of-magnitudes that are standard in its arcane and artificial world ordered with the base two number system. Kilo- = 1,00000,00000 (base two); mega- = 1,00000,00000,00000,00000 (base two); giga- = 1,00000,00000,00000,00000,00000,00000 (base two); etc.

They're coincidentally not too different. 1,048,576 (base ten) is not much different from 1,000,000 (base ten), so a megabyte as the term is intuitively understood by a computer programmer is not significantly different from what a layman would think it means.

Btw, this extended series of prefixes for quadrillion, quintillion, etc. is in use. Astrophysicists need to express the amount of power generated by a star. I don't know what that number is but you can bet it's measured in zettawatts or something like that. There's a thread around here somewhere discussing the energy generated by the warp drive in the Starship Enterprise and it comes to exajoules.

You gotta love those Star Trek fans. I did a Google on this topic and found dozens of websites telling me how much energy the Enterprise uses, but not one that gave the figure for stars.

14. Anomalous Banned Banned

Hey I just thought that must be it.

15. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Yeah, and I'll bet you're real proud of yourself.

16. Anomalous Banned Banned

Ys, but U suck

17. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 .....