Respect.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Feb 3, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

something alot of people were obviously not taught,

why is it so hard to be polite and control your little emotions everyone?,

what is wrong with bieng polite and having manners,

its not very logical to pointlessly argue about silly little differences,

people have to realise that not everyone is the same, not everyone is going to agree with you or think the way you do,

debate calmly listen to what the other person is saying, try to comprehend it, respond politely continue the debate,

what is so difficult hmm>
    #

i am very supprised at alot of people here,

i am but 21 years of age and i seem to have alot more self control than people who are twice my age and have more life experience, i would expect more self control and politeness from such a crowd of people,

peace?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Harlequin Banned Banned

Gad you're boring.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

i fully agree with you emptyforceofchi, i dont know about anyone on scififorums but in the out side world kids have no manners, i was brought up to have manners, like open doors for ladies, help older people across the street, be kind, respect my elders, and i have brought my kids up the same way, even when i was a soldier i had the same temprement at most times, there were time that i had to have a different temprement. people do though have the right to there own say.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

I agree with you perfectly, Chi.

But there's a bit more to it than just that. As I've tried to explain before, I have a two-tier approach to someone new. I will begin very respectfully - just as you suggest here - and try my best to be helpful.

But once someone crosses the line into the realm of absurdity, ignorance and becomes disrespectful to me and others, then I will take a completely different approach.

Generally respect has to be earned. But in the case of this forum I will grant it upfront. BUT then that individual has to maintain to proper attitude in order to continue to receive it. (And I could easily provide you with a list of a dozen or more who do not deserve the slightest bit of respect or consideration. I'm sure several others could quickly do so also.)

So while we don't require people here to earn respect, we (at least I) reserve the right to deny it to those who no longer deserve it.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Where I grew up manners were non-existant. But manners was something that was drummed into me at an early age by my father who was in the Royal Signals. I could've let my manners slide and joined the rest of the area but it just felt important that I kept ahold of them.

Where I work I always put forward a polite first impression towards a customer. How they react from there is how I talk to them. If they're ignorant and rude, I keep everything short and sweet and get them out of the door as quickly as possible. If they're polite back, I will offer them some extra time. I do my best to ignore the rude customers. This may seem a bit harsh but I want to show them that using their manners is the right way to go and you can't get things done by just shouting orders when you have no right to.

Sometimes I remind myself of Benton Frasier, the mountie from Due South. Always ducking and diving, helping people along and assisting where I can (this is out of work now). People just seem to be really cautious around me after I've helped them as if I have some hidden motive. That's what the world has come to today, you can't lend a hand without someone becoming suspicious and that's quite sad.

9. cacophony Registered Member

Simply ignore those who choose to go without manners....

I believe they are stuck in a fortuitous battlefield that you cannot control.

10. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

What is respect?
    To me, respect is not just the lack of disrespect. It's much more... It's not admiration per se, but something along those lines.
    Therefore I don't respect everyone I come across. First I don't disrespect them, but I don't respect them either. They have to do something in order for me to either disrespect them or respect them.
    That I think is BS. Being older doesn't necessarily mean you're any smarter/wiser/etc. I only respect my elders (or anyone else) if they deserve respect.
    I think the whole "Mr." "Mrs" "ma'am" "sir" stuff is complete and utter BS. It's an outdated practice.

11. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

I agree with certain points and disagree very strongly with others. I agree that respect is not lack of disrespect, but something that should be earned (in a sense). But also, isn't America about "Innocent until proven guilty?" Although our judicial system may be slightly corrupt, this can apply to this situation. I will respect people, not only elders, but anyone I meet, until they give me reason not to respect them. Although it is relatively common knowlege that older people have had more life experiences, have more wisdom (because of having done things that you haven't), and can generally tell you something better than a younger person. I, being only 15, am still being raised to give respect without the person necessarily having earned it. I don't have a problem with this at all. Although I am a fairly intelligent person, I also recognize when I've met someone who's obviously lived longer and has acquired more wisdom and intelligence than I have. Being older doesn't necessarily mean you're any smarter, if you mean "smarter" as in the general intelligence that is in each person. Honestly, I think you sound like a belligerant, rebellious teen who's decided that respecting elders isn't for them. Has it crossed your mind that maybe the elder person doesn't want nor need the need to earn your respect? I also think that my generation kind of sees elders as "used up", or "worthless", and they disregard their mental resources and instead of asking people who have walked the walk we're walking now, they go on as if they have nothing to offer. This, in and of itself, breeds disrespect. For that matter, how is humanity going to continue progressing unless the generations after our elders (mine) use their knowlege and use the fruit of their work to make new breakthroughs?

AmishRakeFight

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  12. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

By not RESPECTING others, you're not disrespecting them... so you're not saying they're "guilty", nor are you saying they're innocent. You have no reason to say they're either one or the other, and that's what I'm doing.
    Older people rule the world. That's where those ideas are coming from. Sure, they've done thigns you haven't, and you should learn from their experiences and stuff... but that doesn't mean they're wiser or anything. Older people were born in another time period, they were raised differently, their brains work differently, etc.
    Exactly, old people are telling you to respect them just because they're older. They're the ones brainwashing you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So do I. Or at least I think I can. but...
    exactly. So there's no reason why automaticaly RESPECT them just because they're older. If being older meant you ARE wiser/smarter/whatever, then yes you could say that you should automatically respect them, but the fact is that there are plenty of older people who are as smart and as wise as a rock.
    Well, you don't know me at all then.
    Like I said, I don't automatically respect my elders. That doesn't mean that I either disrespect them, or that I'm incapable of respecting elders. I think you're just getting my point wrong.
    Why not? they're people, they're not perfect, they need to earn my respect just like everyone else.
    I agree. It's sad.
    I'll say it again... I don't either respect or disrespect anyone at first. They have to do something for me to do either. Elders are no exception. Me not automatically respecting elders doesn't mean I automatically disrespect them, have any kind of lower opinion of them, etc. It just means that they haven't given me a reason to respect them, so I don't. It's simple.

13. Light Registered Senior Member

I believe you're missing the point. It's not because they are wiser or smarter, it's because they are more experienced. I'm not talking about some tottering 90-year old. People in their 40s, 50s, and 60s have minds that work exactly like yours. and the chances are that they have already gone through a lot of things that you haven't even run up against yet.

I also thin you are trying to equate wiser/smarter with "more intelligent" and that's not the case at all. They are just more experienced - period. They've had time to make mistakes and learn from them - time that hasn't even come your way yet.

So I think if you'll look at it in that way, you'll realize that you should at least give a little respect to experience. Don't you think you are more experienced than someone who is just 10? If that's true, then what about someone twice (or more) your own age?

14. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

Experienced in what? There are plenty of 45 year olds who are creationists... I'm guessing the percentage of creationists is WAY higher with older people than with younger people.
    Not really. They've made their decisions in life, they have their own biases, etc.
    I guess, but just because "the chances are" doesn't mean I should automatically respect them.
    uh... smarter MEANS more intelligent. As for wiser, that's another matter.
    Why?
    And that's partly my point. Having lived longer (had more experience) doesn't mean you're smarter/wiser.
    Yes. Should they respect me just because I was born earlier than them? no. I don't want people to automatically respect ME either. I want people to respect me because of my views, intelligence, logic, whatever, not because I was born before them.
    btw, I'm older than you... start respecting your elders!
    LOL...

15. Light Registered Senior Member

I still think you fail to grasp the basic principle involved, But be that as it may, to each his own.

What makes you think you're older than me? I'm well over 60. How old are you?

16. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

whoa, I thought you were AmishRakeFight ...(he's 15... " I, being only 15, am still being raised ...")
    I take that back, I'm NOT older than YOU.
    LOL
    Holy crap you're about 3.5 times older than I am

(I'm 17)

17. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

But the chances of them being wiser than you are infinitely more than somebody your own age, or even yourself (or myself, for that matter, since we're practically the same age). As for smarter, no, just because their older doesn't make them smarter. But they've been around the block, made mistakes and learned from them, and they have enough wisdom to offer me that I will respect them until shown that there's a reason to be disrespected.

Maybe that should tell you something? Just kidding. I think that the reason for this is that "natural" death is alot closer to a 40-60 year old than a 20 year old (although we never know when we will die), so they're more worried about their legacy and the possibility of an afterlife. Many older adults might be Creationists just because, if the slim possibility that Creationism IS true, they want to go to "heaven" instead of "hell", or any of the good afterlifes and bad afterlifes.

I agree, but I don't have the time right now to try and articulate what I'm trying to say in a more persuasive way. Also, have you ever heard the saying "You have to give respect to get respect?" Not 100% true, but still helps.

AmishRakeFight

18. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

/agree

Hey, I once beat the shit out of a classroom bully with Gandhi's Biography for picking on a new kid from Punjab... talk about gratification, and irony; it was an educational experience! That's the closest thing to Karma, Dharma, and Nirvana I've ever experienced.

~peace

19. Anomalous Banned Banned

EmptyForceOfChi

U have insulted me on many occasions by lieing and remaining quite on many occasions, And U want me to be polite ?

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

I think U were taking to yourself

21. Anomalous Banned Banned

So are the Iraqis Guilty now that there are no WMDs ?

22. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

I don't care about chances. Chances doesn't mean they WILL deserve my respect.
    Show me the wisdom and I'll respect you. Not before.
    it does. It tells me they don't deserve my respect.
    Ah, so their brains DO work differently. They believe idiotic ideas based on nothing but wisful thinking because they're cowards. Gee, that deserves a lot of respect.
    That saying is talking about not disrespecting people so that they won't disrespect you back, not the kind of respect I'm talking about.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

do not confuse civility with respect

you should always be civil

but respect is earned not bestowed