I survived! Now what?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by allisone417, Feb 1, 2006.

1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

If we are past survival...
    ...what is our purpose in life? Why are we constantly looking for one, if none exist?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Creativity, art, music, science, medicine, space travel, ecstatic union with the ineffable All... what more could you want?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

what do you mean 'we are past survival'??

there is MEANING to life. the very mening is us here, being. but culture creates a propaganda of 'purpose' that is meaning-less!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

thats what I say, spidergoat.
    But sometimes, i just can't get around that question.

8. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

the culture is just a way to live. I participate, but I have a life seperate.
    I already am being. I am aware of myself. It seems there should be more.

9. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

the asnwer is sex :-D

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think the question is put in our minds by cultural forces with a stake in influencing people to accept one or a set of particular purposes. Having "the correct" purpose is a form of conformity. On the other hand, I have had the same revelation after a grueling "entheogenic" experience. I survived, now what? The answer I realized is open-ended, participate in existence using whatever faculties you possess. Perhaps this question is a reaction to total freedom, we would rather have reality distilled into an easily understandable metaphor or quest.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

First I was afraid
    I was petrified
    Kept thinking I could never live
    without a purpose in life....

-actually,I'm going to quit while I'm ahead before I continue with a really bad joke

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You must have been watching American Idol last night!

13. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

I change my ideals every 6 months. At the end before changing again, i can tell that i am a completely different person that i was at the beginning. I also retain these qualities and can mimic them to the point of being certain that is how i feel. Once you go somewhere, you keep it with you and never quite forget it. So go far

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

it doesnt matter. do you know your grandfathers' names? what about your great great grandfathers'? in four of five generations noone will even know you ever existed.

15. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

To Survive And Evolve Until The End Of Time And Space Itself.

-mt

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

thats a nice outlook on life right there,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

so you have never heard of anybody who is more than 500 years old?.
    if your famous people will remember you,

but!, why does it matter if people remember you? if people remember you or not it dosent effect your happyness in life and what you accomplish in life,

i bet the person who finds a cure for cancer will be remembered for generations to come,

the first man on the moon, he will be remembered for thousands of years,
    many people are remembered thousands of years after there deaths,

what about the egyptian pharoes, that was there goal, to make people remember them and there tombs, have you heard of tutan kamun, or however you spell his funky name i cant "remember" (not funny i know),
    but see you remember him, and cloepatra, they lived ages ago,

peace,

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

U r supposed to make sure your Genes (children) survive now that U have passed on them to the next generation.

18. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

you should not see that as something negative...

i just think that people should live to satisfy their own desires... you know... everything under the world is vanity of vanities

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

No ... only their names and what's written about them will be remembered . It's not the same as being remembered by a friend: "Oh yeah, Bobby, I remember him - he used to..."

Because the friend can still see/hear Bobby in their mind. Who can see or hear Columbus?

Memory is a fickle thing. Everyone who passes leaves a pattern, but their pattern is overwritten and muddled by everyone else's until it's indistunguishable. Isn't that the way it should be? If we remembered the names of all who had gone, we wouldn't have space in our minds for the people who are living now...