Music to the ears

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by allisone417, Jan 30, 2006.

1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

what it is about music that makes us hurt our delicate auditory instruments, volume at levels that could perminantly damage our hearing? I feel instinctivly compelled to drown myself in certain pieces of music, turning up the volume or pushing my earbuds into my ears, even though it hurts. It feels right. escaping from reality.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zenobia Registered Member

You sort of answered your own question there, didn't you?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

I am pretty sure my hearing is permanently fucked already. I like to enjoy my music, though, and part of the enjoyment lies in pure volume, especially in listening to artists who experiment with melody and noise, beauty and dissonance, or to phrase it vaguely, listenability and experimentation.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I once listened to music at very high decibles but as time and age has gotten to me I've found that I don't really need to have the volume up so high because I have a nice home in which it is very quiet and I can enjoy music at much lower volumes. It just takes time to get into listening to the music at lower volumes but enjoy whatever turns you on now.

8. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

Good thread. I wish more people had responded.

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

study about te ear....how extraordinarily sensitive it is......it has te FINEST vibratory organ. it is WONDROUS. when yo listen to music too loud you are dissin it, hammerin it. gross!!

i've gone tru phases when younger when i was into volume. but NUTHIN to how its become now at most clubs nd gigs!!

last time i went to tis Boom Boom drum nd Drum n' Base base gig run by a friend. he was a tech ead and wa using also tis '3D' sound.

wellll, i was dancing away for hours. ...and go buzzin an partial hearing for TWO friggin days...!!!!!!didn't realize. te music was so hot. but really when its tat loud its equvalent of dancing near a running-PLANE engine