humans like to kill ugly things, and protect cute things,

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 23, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

kill a spider and feel ok about it, but you wouldent stamp on a little fluffy bunny or kitten,

if you would kill the cute fluffy thing then i guess your a good non biast killer,

peace.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mountainhare Banned Banned

People stamp on mice and rats... they aren't exactly ugly.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

most people dislike rodants and associate them with deseise women especialy do not like rodants, ok who in the west stamps pn kitties and puppies?, it is socially acceptable to squish a spider but not a dog or a cat you get arrestedm the spider still feels pain and gets broken the same,

are you following ?

peace

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Mammals, we usually have a hard time killing. Even animals that people hunt, they still don't look in the creature's eye before they kill it. I'm guessing it'd haunt you the rest of your life. I guess this is because we, too, are mammals, and other mammals are intelligent and feel pain and despair just as we do. We don't like killing things that close on the evolutionary scale to us.
    Insects, Arachnids, etc. are not as intelligent as mammals, and we simply don't have that hard a problem killing them, because they are farther down the chain that us.

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

There are only a handful of creatures in existence I find actually ugly. Even the slime covered, eyeless hagfish has its appeal. Some creatures scare the crap out of me, but rarely are they ugly.

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

mammels have more meat on them than spiders, killing is for survival not fun or of a fear of creepy crawlies,

i would rather kill a mammal then an insect,

i dont actually kill bugs or anything atall unless its in self defence or for food,

i dont even kill bugs that bite me or bees or wasps that sting me or gnats that suckle me i let them all live unless its poisonus but not int his country there isnt,

i feel the same about killing an ant as i do as a cute little puppy, but i would brake the pups neck for food first,

a killing of a mammal would haunt you>? really? thats strange to me but i accept that,

peace

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Butterflies?
    Lady Bugs?
    Cute little frogs and geckos?

I don't think it is so much about them being closer on the evolutionary/development/intelligence scale.
    I think it has more to do with "cuteness" being asociated with helplessness in mammals and our instinct to protect and care for the helpless.
    Most people will have no problem killing a full grown rat, but not a baby rat because they are so cute.
    Perhaps it is related to a maternal/paternal instinct to protect?
    Maybe compassion and empathy?

It also must have something to do with beauty...
    Dragon Flies.
    Damsel Flies.
    Swans.
    A form of beauty reverence.

Where might that come from?

11. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

I feel guilty when I kill an ant because I am imaging how painful it is if a building crash on me.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

We tend to fear things that are ugly or undesirable so we really have no issues with wanting to kill ugly things.

Rabbits and mice wouldn't do us any harm but people have unrational fears about spiders and snakes so we would kill them if it meant we'd feel safer.

What would you fear more? An 8ft spider or an 8ft bunny?

13. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Yes life is stupid, animal favourtism and the species centric nature of humans only confirms this. At least we're aware of it though, some people go through their whole lifes never aware of these absurdities. Imagine that.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

im actually not sure, i wouldent really like to see either down a dark alley way to be honest, a giant 8 ft tall bunny would be kinda creepy,

peace,

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

the imediate reflex to kill something is directly related to the fear that this creature might harm you. most insects and reptiles look threatening and i believe that the instinctive fear of insects and reptiles might have been selected during our evolution... even now reptile-like sounds like ssss or chhhh are used by us as warning sounds.

also we like to see in animas characteristics that are similar to ours. most mammals and other more highly developed animals have big expressive eyes and many are capable of expressing a personality. you know that you will inflict pain and that might get some people to feel remorse

16. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

semon,

I feel gulty too when I flush down an insect in the toilet but what are you going to do? Sit down and let the fucker procreate and take over your habitat? Bullshit!There is no part of the universe that does not have its rules and your house is not an exception. Pity though that we humans have to bear the agony and emotional guilt. Anyway the "sanctity of life" people bear most of this, I believe life is in fact this whole matrix of rules I mentioned.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

im just warning you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

see not all are, anyway my wife kills spiders and she is scared of them, but she knows full well they canot harm her. we live in london we have no dangerous animals in our whole countr whatsoever apart from humans,

she has stopped killing insects for me now, but on the condition i remove them all from the house pronto,

killing little bugs in my opinion is like killing a human, if its not for food or survival to me its irrelevant and not neccesary

theres no diff between killing any other animsl than there is a human we all feel pain,.

peace

18. Hukka4Life Registered Senior Member

Cuteness is a defense mechanism that has evolved very well.

19. Firefly Registered Senior Member

That is so true, I would be more willing to kill a large spider than a small one.

Semon: I'm not sure ants feel pain, something about ganglia. They're really not as innocent as you'd like them to be though!

20. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

insects have a very primitive nervous system... they do not feel pain like we do. I do not have problems with killing insects because of that and also because i live in brazil, we have poisonous insects and insects that are vectors for parasitic diseases... you would not want those flying aroun in your house, would you?

are you kidding? have you seen a baby rat, they are disgusting semi transparent hairless skinny things... we used to use those for toxin research

21. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

humans feel more pain than animals and insects.

22. Roman Banned Banned

Ha. People don't look in the creature's eyes because they're too far away. We kill with guns these days, don't you know? Personally, I've looked in the eyes of dying animals. Animals I've killed. Then I went elbow deep in their viscera. It's not anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. But then, you're probably just a pussy.

Personally, I don't like killing bugs. I love bugs. They're little machines that trundle around and do exactly what their programming tells them to do. Killing them is so wasteful and useless. I don't mind killing them, but I'd usually rather not.

I guess I just don't like useless killing, but that's cause I don't like waste.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Modern civilized humans feel a bond with mammals and birds: fuzzy, warm-blooded animals that nurture their young and are vastly more intelligent than virtually all invertebrates and cold-blooded vertebrates. I say "modern civilized humans" because I'm not certain it's instinctive, I think it's probably a result of what we've learned about biology in the past couple of centuries. We are more closely related to birds and other mammals than to the others.

We feel this to the extent that we think most of these animals are indeed "cute," at least "cuter" than the reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates. That's clearly a learned or affected attitude, because many of those other animals are beautiful and a few of them, like seahorses, are downright cute by any unbiased standard. For example, we recently learned that (as far as I know) all birds and mammals dream like we do. The cold-blooded vertebrates apparently don't have the brain centers for it. Heck, sharks don't even sleep.

This is a reasoned attitude because we don't have too many qualms about mammals that are predators like coyotes or vermin like rats. We even live with the cognitive dissonance that we'll thoughtlessly kill the rat that's caught rummaging in our attic but we'll feed and cuddle the one in the cage in our kids' room. It's only recently (in the long history of our species) that we've even begun to feel pangs about the mammals and birds we eat.

I personally have for decades resisted the temptation to get a pet pig because I would probably not want to eat pork any more and pork is my favorite meat. I can't find anything to love about cows except their taste, and I actually hate chickens so I don't mind eating them at all. But I'm revolted by people who eat dogs, if I found out anyone I know likes dog meat (and I refrain from asking just as I refrain from getting a pot bellied pig) I would probably not be able to continue being their friend.

Irrational. Yes. So human.

As far as lower animals (invertebrates) feeling pain, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. They don't have a central nervous system. There's no brain for the pain to be routed to, no brain to say, "Damn, that hurts." With their rudimentary thinking ability distributed over a decentralized nerve network with no center, it may be a little imprecise to talk about them "thinking" or "feeling" at all. Their lives may be nothing but a long series of extremely complex reflex actions.

Not that this justifies being cavalier and unnecessarily cruel to them, after all this could all be wrong. But I think we are justified in being more sympathetic toward vertebrates, especially the much more highly advanced warm-blooded ones.