USA Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by leopold, Jan 20, 2006.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

previous to september 11, was this illegal for the government to do?
    yes?
    then i am against it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

apparently the fbi has wanted to do a lot of these things but couldn't

although the aclu has some gripes it appears that business and commerce are the hardest hit
    mainly due to trade secrets being stolen
    and the costs involved

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Now if we would just hug our rose quartz crystals to our breasts, and love these beasts with all our might... we might... ummmmmmmmm

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

our rose quartz crystals? what on earth is that?

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

dont worry, the next president (democrat, probably) will undoubtedly be on the exact opposite side of the fence as bush.

hopefully, some of the damage done to our constitutional rights can be fixed.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I get these letters every week. The folks below are, in my opinion, a bit zealous; but I feel that their call to action here is a good one. I also feel that the Patriot Act needs closure.

If calling your Rep seems a bit too much, do write them an email and help push the pendulum towards the center.

Here are a few other good sites...

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/
    http://www.house.gov/writerep/
    http://www.conservativeusa.org/mega-cong.htm

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  11. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"The folks below are, in my opinion, a bit zealous"

There is a time for zeal. Now is the best time in at least 100 years regarding the defense of American democracy.

12. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Don't count on it. They're all working towards the same agenda. Have been since the 60's.

- N

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it's really weird and odd how people continue to think that the President really has all that much power in the USA. It's the congress that has the power, yet the administration is the one who takes all the blame and/or credit. And when the next president is elected, the same old farts will still be running the congress ...and any presidential bill must be approved by them!!

Baron Max

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The President has supreme executive power in the USA. What did they teach you in grade school?

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Neildo--
    help me out here and explain...?

We certainly are cattle in many ways--easy to spook in one direction or the other. What I know is that, over the past decades, there has been a steady loss of individual privacy and the consolidation of economic power.

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"when the next president is elected, the same old farts will still be running the congress"

No, many will be discredited and removed from office. Some may even be in jail. If this isn't plain to you, you could refer to current events, Baron.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

hypewaders,

I think he is suggesting that power is in the money. It's the same just another face...maybe? Neildo...?

If the Dem's regain control, what will they do?

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I should say, when they regain control...

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

First, they will have to play along with reforms. Then become corrupt. Then get replaced, if the promise of America doesn't falter. Impermanence in government is our best hedge against outright tyranny.

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I suppose there is no equality in politics. It's enough to make a fella throw out his voter's card.

What was that again, I have forgotten...?

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i moved to europe partially because i was sick of being in the hands of a bunch of idiots.
    i have never looked back.

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"What was that again, I have forgotten...?"

I was thinking of it in this sense: If it should happen that in some coming "time of crisis", our ability to throw the bastards out is denied, repressed, or disguised (by the same bastards).

In other words, the complete loss of our democracy would destroy the promise the founders provided. Although this would also vindicate Jefferson with some irony, who remarked "here is your democracy- if you can keep it", meaning that it is ever and always up to an interested and politically-engaged public to keep government in line.

Our most essential checks and balances necessarily involve a public that pays attention and gives a shit.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006