Equatorial Guinea: Second richest country in the world

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Jerry Jesus, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jerry Jesus Registered Member

Hi everybody, I'm new here. I thought I'd kick off the new year by telling everyone a rather interesting revelation.

Behold the second richest country in the world:

GDP - real growth rate: 18.6% (2005 est.)

Purchasing power parity - $50,200 (2005 est.)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ek.html

Whoa.................................I'm justy gonna pause for a moment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is equatorial guinea:

With such massive growth rates I wonder if it will look like this in 10 years:

WOW. This took me totally by surprise. Discuss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That is interesting, but I bet there is still a huge gap between the rich and poor.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

McShit.
    Who's the first richest?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

The fucking vatican city I imagine.
    With all their solid gold buildings and priceless art and artifacts all hidden away for no-one to see. Greedy catholics - do they think jesus would have hoarded all that gold?

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Ummm... yes?
    But he would have to walk over an awful lot of water to find the Aztecs and slaughter them.

9. Jerry Jesus Registered Member

Close but no cigar huwy hehe, no pun intended for you avatar (if that indeed is a cigar). Its actually Luxembourg.

Indeed there is. In this country, "the rich" are members of the presidential family, "the poor" is well,...everyody else.

I say it needs a good ol'fashioned regime change. Send in about 500 troops, a couple tanks and some air support and that should get the job done. I would the the new government would be relatively benign and spread the oil wealth more evenly.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Don't give Bush any ideas!

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

What are we waiting for? Lets hire some mercs and get ourselves a country.

12. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Equatorial Guinea seems to be a great example of why median income is aq much better statistic then average income. Per capita income is average income. Equatorial Guinea is still a impoverished country. Most people have no electricity, a short life expectancy, bad roads, no health care, and no money. The money is in the foreign bank accounts of those connected to the ruling president/dictator.

13. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Luxembourg is #1

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Spread the oil wealth more evenly, you reckon--where, into the hands of Haliburton and Dickhead Cheney?

15. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Ah, more anti-American bias.
    But even such a thing as you suggest would be better for them than what they have now.

Anyway, yo need not worry. We wouldn't touch the ass-end of Africa with a ten foot pole. Too much trouble.

16. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

You misuse the word "we". It gives an impression that you (and like you) have some say in foreign and other policies. Alas, the question "whose ass to touch with a ten foot pole" is out of your league.

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I know my country. Why do you think we never got involved in Sudan or Congo with all the genocide and humanitarian disasters going on over there? Too much trouble. Even Iraq is a thousand times more manageable than that hellhole continent. We would have to carpetbomb half the jungle or something just as nasty and that just doesn't look good.

18. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Again, an abstraction with a name "country" doesn't decide a squat. Elite$ do (in 90 something % of the cases). Ratio gain/expenditure is not fixed in time even in Africa.

19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

"We" are involved in Africa. We backed the Uganda faction in the Congo war. "We" were involved in Angola. "We" have a 1500 person military base in Djibuti that also employs 500 Djibutians. The USA is everywhere. Our spooks and our tools the IMF and World Bank and US AID and the NED are everywhere.

20. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I can't believe Luxembourg is richer than Monaco!

21. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

What the hell are you talking about? The U.S. is all over Africa, both politically and for humanitarian aid. You might want to try and pick up a newspaper every so often, perhaps even turn on your television.

The fact is Africa is ripe to become the most powerful and richest continent in the world. The oil, the minerals, the agriculture, they have so many natural resources, if they could stop the wars, corrupt regimes and all the genocide, they could rule the world. It's slowly moving forward, the younger generation of Africans are more open-minded, and a lot more educated. I think in the next 20 years you will see more and more African countries embrace democracy and become world players.

22. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

FUCK YEAH!!

23. PandaMetal Registered Member

Out of curiosity, do you correlate democracy with capitalism?