Clear out old members.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by phlogistician, Jan 18, 2006.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

I've just had a look through the list of Sciforums members, sorted by number of posts. There are 73 pages of registered users, who have never made a post.

Time to clear these out and free up some usernames?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why? are you in need of sock puppets?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Well done spurious, 10000 posts! 3rd member to have done that I believe.

I agree with phlog. I realise they take hardly any space, but still they do take up SOME space. I also say that all users with 1 posts should be deleted, that would get rid of the spam accounts. I finally recommend that one of those "type in what ou see" things be added, to prevent spambots spamming us with their ... spam.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the problem is that to manually remove 3500 users, would take months. the only way it could possibly be done is if porfiry gave admin rights to quite a number of people(50+ at least) and that would certainly be risky, as it would enable all of those users to permanently delete a member they didnt like.

even if just all of the mods were promoted temporarily it would still take over a week to do.(that is assuming they can be fucked spending 2 hours a day clicking the same 5 buttons)

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

another thing we could do is enforce the rule
    of not posting an entire page from a website

posting the link and a few excerpts will suffice

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh the slave labor

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Isn't there an easier way? On an old forum (where I deleted everyones account because they werent posting) all I had to do was tick a box next to their name and press delete. I just clicked all boxes and bam. Then again, that forum had only 27 (I think) members, but the principle is the same.

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

There proberly is some nifty backend function to delete users who have X stats, but then again why do it, it servers no real purpose and they do help boost the user count.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And they really take up very little space.

13. Anomalous Banned Banned

Delete * from TblMembers where NoOfPost = 0 and FldJoiningDate < "01-Jan-2004"

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

OH MY GOD!

you are un-buh-livable

u actually had the time to go through the list!? i mean wht are you ? a frekking millionaire?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Laterz
    Rick

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

some posters are actually dedicated to this site you know.

16. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I want the name 'Blue' but can't have it because someone else has it(with 1 post, in 2002).

If the admin could destroy him, I'd be grateful.

Or hack the MySQL table, change his email to mine - and issue a password change request.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

this might be a good suggestion

18. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

there are 15,406 members.
    Convert the SQL Database into an excel spreadsheet and filer out the ones to delete manually.

You then have a list of names and so set up a macro (i recomend AutoMacroRecorder) which copies the names into the search field to search for a member and then deletes them, it would still take a while but you could abandon your PC for a week with it connected to the surver and then it would do it on it's own

19. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Did you poke yourself in the eye with the spoon this morning?, The forum is run of a MySQL database, to do what you suggeste would be raving mad.
    Let the SQL do the working, may I direct you back a few posts to Anomalous

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I suggest

Delete * from TblMembers where membername = vincent28uk, Tali75, Ritris2345, kiwi123

21. RickyH Valued Senior Member

this is easy

Write a script to send a message to people who have not posted in 3 months tell them hthey have one month to post or there account will be terminated.

22. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Delete from users where posts < 5 and last connected < 2003. (But with correct syntax obviously)

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

but still why delete anyone, except for someones user name being taken i really dont see a pint in deleting old users. how about those that only ghost the forums, but still have an account, should they be deletet as well?