depressive intellegence

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by allisone417, Jan 18, 2006.

1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else here --

Once every week or two, i get severly depressed for a reasons based on logic. Enough to wish to end my good life, one that i thouroughly enjoy. It usually comes after general reflection, upon life, people, the world, etc. Increasingly over the next few days these facts get extremely painful:

1. life will end, by the looks of it, followed by indefinate nothingness as my mind, self, "oneness", whatever "me" is, is broken down into its basic elements, stripped of the phenomenon of consciousness and thought, and strewn throughout the universe. Why do I matter?
    2. I have my individuality, but everyone thinks it matters. I cant see why it would. Out of the billions of people, the trillions of life forms, you think you matter? only to yourself.
    3. I know I matter to my friends and family. they'll never know me completly, as will anyone. Our minds are more complex than anything, and our communication is sub-standard. I'll never be able to really converse with someone.
    4. Except to myself. I like myself, and I like that i have hands and legs and eyes and can manipulate things on the earth to my liking, whatever it may be. Again, i cant find purpose in this. Aesthetics? they make me feel good, but is that all life is?
    6. Just enjoy life. I know. Don't worry about living, just do it, enjoy the pleasures and the senses. But now...christ i just cant do it. why? why are we even conscious? curious about the world? to make tools...but now why? We've made tools. We know why the sky is blue, though that doesn't matter. But why are we here? why do we think of these questions? Is there some end we're supposed to reach by thinking intellegently, questioning our existance? I see no answer. and still no end to the circle of fucking questions.
    7. along these lines.

A few days later, it will be gone, I'll feel great. But still unsloved, it circles back.

This could all be avoided if I was religious. Its hard for me to entertain the thought of a higher power, espectially one in man's image. Its like believing in santa claus. you can try...but ultimately, no. I believe in randomness, chaos, entropy.

My spelling also breaks down in these periods. I apologize if it makes me look like an idiot.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

I don't know why your sad. Sorry. I get sad sometimes for no reason, but I don't like staying sad so I either a) just forget about everything b) drink c) call some friends D) come onto sciforums!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

i just LOVE your honest sharing ofhow ytou feel about things etc

i get the gist from what you are saying.
    let me reflect on it...

i feel that you are missing MEANING from life. this is no surprise cause the main indoctrinating factor in this here Western culture is to take the meaning outta life and keep it like that......or , yes, the DO take thedeeper meaning out of life and then put in its place THEIRmeaning, which is:
    all the fukin thingsthey demand is meaningful like espesh consumerism...! which demands you confrm to the system, jump thru thehoops of the success-game sos you will get prestige ad money sos you an buy all yer flashy gadgets sos yo can flash em in front of friends and pople who aint got em.....THAT. you and yer lfashy gadgets, is this gaudy show's main THAAANG. but it is NOT ENUF!

all meaning has been leeched out of our senses by school, TV, college, uni, the whole cabuuudle.

sp what IS meaning. for a start it is understanding that Nature IS alive and fll of meaning. tis mans understanding that matter-energy is sentient. and that you are NOT just some biochemical machine which produces consciousness. yo are utterly interelaed with whole of Nature which also means universe

but they --the powerelite's main aim is M I N D C O N T R O L.

why?

well if you survey patriarchal mythology, and our materialistic philosophy you see that it demands you obey an authority. an abstracted concept, 'God', 'Progress' which doesn't necessarily benefit YOU, the individual. and your deep needs, but rather a power-elite that neds your labour and your body for their wars etc. so it serves them well to make sure you dont fully express how you feel, cause if we do we may just see thru theirnsorry oppressive game and rebel. prison cells are waiting aas we speak!!

so, yes, when you feel the wayt you do, you are feeling things in a deep way. part of expression is also going to the depths which may mean 'hell'. we are rounded beings, and can experiences heaven and hells. the whole gamut. but for fruitful exploration its handy to keep in mind that behind the facade presented to you by this materialistic culture is a wolrd and universe FULL of energy, consciouness spirit and meaning..........and to FULLY experience this is your freedom. so see THRU their propaganda......you already are , by exploring the questions you are asking...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The meaning of life is obviously procreating.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Since intelligence seems to bother you so much, just get dumber, dude! Don't think so much. Make babies.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The simple way to get dumber is to drink lots and lots. SEE! It made ME stupider. 9 out of 10 people agree. Drinkin is best!

9. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

People just get sad... I guess yeah, now that I think about it maybe it does have a bit to do with the media and everything. I'm get so sad after watching TV, and reading the news paper. Maybe it's something to do with the way I look....That I don't look like the people on Tv...But generally that doesn't get to me all that much. I know that it's pretty sucky looking at beautiful people all the time and your just like "Oh man, I wish I had those legs." etc.
    Or when your parents make half the amount of money as all your friends and you can't get the latest clothes, you don't have a computer at home. I just remind myself that it could be worse...It's not like I need nice clothes, or Ipods to live anyway. I just get kind of jealous sometimes when my friends have like 100 CDS and IPODS and Computers. Wearing the hottest clothes and so on. Their parents worked for it though...I know my parents work hard as well, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    Expressing this is freedom, and when your feeling down it's good to talk about things. Though the sad truth is: Your the only one that cares about your selfesteem. I've figured that out!

10. Rational Empiricist Registered Member

Well, if you're a proponent of materialism, then perhaps you would think that you're gonna cease to exist after life. But the truth of the matter is even if your body have disintegrated, there are other metaphysical parts of you that linger on in the other dimension. Things like feelings can not be quantified. That's to say that should a man have his nerves severed and never will he feel the touch of his wife's hand again, he will still be capable of experiencing the warmth of his wife's love and the happiness that ensue from that. But of cuz I'm assuming here that the afterlife shares the same epistemological components as the reality that we are currently in.

Well Einstein is but one life form amongst the billions but his special theory of relativity, proposing that a small matter can release a large amount of energy, was instrumental in the invention of the atomic bomb which killed hundreds of thousands of lives in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Cut yourself some slack allisone417. You matter in this world for the potential and uniqueness that's innate in every human being. Don't see yourself as a miniscule life form out of the billions. See yourself as one intricacy out of the billions that directly influence the direction of the world's progression and evolution.

Isn't that cause for optimism that no one in this world can read you like a book? If anyone can, then you would lose your identity. It's this unpredictability that have 1 man stick to 1 woman for decades as husband and wife. Think about it.

Personally, I think that life is about making this world a better place. Give love(justification of one's existence) to people around you and on a greater scope, all human beings. Most importantly, you've gotta love yourself. Enjoy the subtleties that life brings. Ever wonder why there is music when humans have the tool of communication in speech and could easily convey ideas and messages across in a straightforward manner? Life would be boring if there's no music. We would then lead a mundane life no different from that of animals. Propagation is another aspect of the greater good. It's imbeded in humans to want to have sex and proliferate. There's so much to life but it all eventually leads to making this world a better place to live in.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are totally right, there is no true communication between people, nothing really matters except in relation to artificial goals, and all the answers are born from the questions we are conditioned to ask. There is no meaning except what you make of it, but it is also (evidently) vital to have meaning in your life. Let me ask you this, why are things supposed to matter? Don't you think that is a value that has been instilled in you by society? Why is being temporary any less valuable that something that exists for a long time? Isn't something temporal MORE valuable, since it is so rare and unusual?

Secondly, this line of questioning is a modern one. If you lived as a hunter gatherer, you would feel intimately connected to the natural world, and plus, you would be too busy to worry about such things.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, you don't matter! If you were to die tomorrow, only the people that know you would give shit ...maybe not even all of them. Surely you don't expect to matter to someone on the other side of the planet, do you?

No, everyone does NOT think it matters ...they just say that to make you and themselves feel good.

Life is what you make of it. If you want to be miserable and unhappy, then continue to think all those morbid, unsolvable thoughts. If you want to be happy, get drunk with your friends and enjoy what life has to offer.

Allisone, if you had all of those answers, and knew them to be absolutely factual and true, would it make any difference in your life? If you knew that you "mattered" to me, would it change anything?

Ye're making yourself miserable for no logical reason ...other than not being able to answer some silly-assed questions - the answers to which wouldn't change a fuckin' thing.

Baron Max

13. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

As for those wonderful solutions:

Usually I just plop down in front of the TV and let it screw with my mind. It works like a charm.

I'm too young to drink. Well, legally. I dont enjoy the taste...but the social atmosphere is great. I'm looking forward to friday night with the pep band.

I'm not to young to have sex, but my boyfriend is. We have, lovingly, but his mother still controls when we get to see each other. (He's only younger by a year.5 (I'm 18, he's 17), we met in band, we've been together for 2 years...i'm not a pedifile!) But now I'm in college, he's still in high school...and I never get to see him. meanwhile everyone on campus is screwing each others brains out, and I dont get to. I mean its not what I do, but i get jealous when other people are having fun and I'm chained to someone I can't be with 80% of the time.

14. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

Maybe that's why your not happy?

15. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

of course its for no logical reason....if there was a reason, i could counter it. instead of skimming sciforums.

16. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I definately get depressed for logical reasons.

One of the biggest repeat sources of depression is religion. I live in bible belt USA, so I'm surrounded by it- I end up having to 'play by their rules' with alot of things, and oftentimes can't find anybody to relate to.

17. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

PMS comes into mind for some reason...

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, yes you are!!! You should go to prison forever, maybe longer. You should march right down to the police station and turn your ass in to the authorities and take your punishment like a man ....errr, like a woman ...err, like a pedophile!!

Baron Max

19. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

What you describe is not intelligence.

Intelligence sees the inherent beauty in this. Intelligence laughs at the miserable idiots who haven't yet realized this for themselves.

20. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Life is what you make of it.

- N

21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Duendy:
    You got Parkison's?

And name ONE culture that doesn't demand this.

22. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

IT HAPPENS TO ALL OF US.... and i have found a way to combat it.

if you smile.. it becomes very hard to think sad...

but obviously thats not enough...

what i have found is that when very depressed.... i go into a regime of action...

meaning i tell my self i feel great... i lie... to myself... but i try to believe it..

and i act as if it is true... i smile... i focus on thinking happy... I DANCE.. i sing...

and of course for the first 5 minutes.... all i am doing is lieing...

but after 5 minutes.. with continued appication of joyful effort..

my brain... seems to forget... and it... responds to my behavior..

i seem happy.. and im acting happy... and soon...

im not lieing anymore...

the brains hypothalymus... controlls your happy level...

if you sit around thinking sad for 10 minutes... the brain reacts and ajusts its chemistry to fit your thoughts...

in like manner... by forcing happy thoughts... i have found that the reverse happens as well..

10 minutes of forced happy thinking and my brain adjusts its chemistry and all the depression i was feeling goes away... and i honestly feel happy again.

i forget all about being sad...

we only have an attenton span of 5 minutes... thus if we exceed it.. our brain simply forgets what it was doing before.

atleast it works for me.

-MT

23. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

It's okay. You are countering it.