A Year of Dark Cosmology

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Dec 31, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A Year of Dark Cosmology
    Credit: W. M. Keck Observatory, Mauna Kea Observatory
    We live in the exciting time when humanity discovers the nature of our entire universe. During this year, in particular, however, the quest for cosmological understanding appears to have astronomers groping in the dark. Dark matter and dark energy are becoming accepted invisible components of our universe, much like oxygen and nitrogen have become established invisible components of Earth-bound air. In comprehending the nature and origin of the formerly invisible, however, we are only just exiting the cosmological dark age. Relatively unexplored concepts such as higher spatial dimensions, string theories of fundamental particles, quintessence, and new forms of inflation all vie for cornerstone roles in a more complete theory. As understanding invisible air has led to such useful inventions as the airplane and the oxygen mask, perhaps understanding dark matter and dark energy can lead to even more spectacular and useful inventions. Pictured above, three of the largest optical telescopes (Keck I, Keck II, and Subaru) prepare to peer into the dark and distant universe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

I've only heard the reference to dark matter a couple of times. The thought that the bulk of the universe is made up of dark matter (whatever it may be) is hard for me to fathom. I've always assumed that what scientists now call dark matter was always just 'space'. ..... More reading for me to do I guess.

Just on another tangent. I was watching a series called Universe narrated by John Hurt. It was discovered that the astronauts whilst in space were 'seeing' white flashes in their eyes. Once back on Earth further investigation showed that these in fact were cosmic rays which had penetrated the space vehicle. The helmets were put under microscopes and found to have indentations where the cosmic rays had penetrated. The 'flashes' in the eyes of the astronauts did not hurt but I thought it was amazing that these cosmic rays could penetrate anything and be seen by the human eye. How cool is that?

Cheers
    Teri

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Thanks Seeker of Truth,

That is a great website. I've added it to my favorites and look forward to reading the lot when I have a bit more time.

Thanks again,
    Teri

8. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

A Year of Complete Nonsens would be more suited I believe.

9. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Care to elaborate?

10. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

not really no, have done it before and btw, it speaks pretty much for itself

11. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Scientists believe there is roughly ten times more dark matter than matter in the universe. Yet the matter and dark matter combined still appear to be insufficient to reverse the unending expansion of our universe. Space is increasing. Matter is ever becoming more diffuse. There are roughly 400 million photons per cubic meter of space. But there are only 0.2 atoms of normal matter per cubic meter of space. Matter might be thought of as a one part per two billion "contamination" of our universe

And btw;
    Humans are made of atoms, but the volume of each atom consists almost entirely of space. If matter is the thing in "something", then on the basis of volume, we are almost entirely made of nothing. We are made of an organized network of microscopic dots of matter held far apart from each other by nuclear and electric forces.

Michael

12. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

13. Imahamster Registered Senior Member

14. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Very interesting article Imahamster. Especially the thought that our universe could reside inside a gravastar.

Brings to mind the end of Men in Black.

Perhaps our entire universe is just a gravastar marble in the pockets of something truly alien....