Old, blind, infirm and fit for execution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brian Foley, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Clarence Ray Allen is 75, blind, hard of hearing, confined to a wheelchair and barely able to speak.

Here is an irony I found on reading further into this mans case from various news sources he almost died of a heart attack 4 months ago but doctors at prison resuscitated him - fulfilling their professional obligations, just as the prison's executioners are now preparing to fulfil theirs and kill him .

Special arrangements will have to be made to get Allen into the death chamber, which does not permit wheelchair access because of a steep bump running across the floor. His hands and feet must be shackled on the way from holding cell to death chamber. 2 guards then drag his feet over the lip of the door andr carry him bodily on to the stretcher where he will be injected with drugs to knock him out, collapse his lungs and stop his heart.

Is this Barbaric or what ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

No more so than executing a non-disabled murderer. Whether the death penalty itself is barbaric is another issue.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Let's see, he orchastrated and ordered the murder of 4 people, three of those murders while he was behind bars (in essence spitting on the justice system). Barbaric? No, I would call it too humane. The man should be burned alive.

If there was an example of a man who should NOT be granted clemency, it's this man. Being crippled doesn't excuse a damn thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

what was his condition when convicted?

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Dometimes the death penalty would be the easy way out. By keeping someone alive, you can put them through every possible flavor of suffering possible to a living man. Then, in their own time, they will descend into an eternity of suffering through every flavor possible for an immortal soul.

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. He did a crime now he has to pay for it. And hell, with him being blind, in a wheelchair, and all that other crap his body is going through, I'd say this is a good thing for him by being put out of his misery.

I can't understand for the life of me all these people saying how inhumane it is. Wtf? Inhumane would be allowing him to live under those circumstances and as was mentioned, having doctors revive him after he's had a heart attack. Now THAT's inhumane!

- N

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

What, is he too sick to die? Is it somehow worse to kill a guy teetering on the brink of death than to kill him in the prime of his life? He's a murderer, the real crime is that it took so long to execute him that he almost died of old age!

11. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Those 4 people were police snitches who were as guilty as him for the crimes commited , yet because of their testimony against him they got off scott free another irony .
    It does not matter he has already spent 25 years behind bars in all OECD countries bar America he would of been free .
    Thats the point they resucitated him from certain death and kept him alive so they could kill him ! Im not saying it is inhumane but fucking INSANE !!!
    And what if it turns out the poor old fucker is actually innocent ?

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

so, when convicted he was probably a healthy man
    and your claim of old, frail, blind was an emotional ploy, no?

fuck 'em. fry his ass

13. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

No I was commenting on his current health condition , if the Fucker was going to die 4 months ago , its fairly obvious he will die anyday anyway , why bother executing him ? I mean for fucks sake surely you can see the logic there ?
    He is fucked .

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If the bastard had been executed when he was convicted and sentenced, none of this would be an issue at all. As it is, we kept him in prison on death row for umpty-eleven years, wasting the taxpayers' money, when he should have been executed years and years ago! Fuck him, I hope the bastard suffers as much as his victims did.

Baron Max

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

i seen a video of a guy being executed in a
    electric chair about 15 years ago.
    i can still see that poor bastards body smoking. grusome

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the only thing i have a problem with is that i do not believe that the government should have the power to end someone's life.

that being said, nothing can bring back the victims of this man's crimes.
    i feel sorry for him, but unfortunately he lives in america. the law says that he is to be executed, then so be it.

the lengthy appeals process is frequently used to lengthen a capital convict's lifespan. it is common legal process. are you saying that he should not be allowed his constitutional right to appealing to a higher court, baronmax?

perhaps reform is in order, but the problem is that execution is mandated through state governments, so the congress can have no say. if you disagree, max, i strongly recommend you contact your local representatives to express this view.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree ...that power should remain in the hands of jury!

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. In fact, I agree with you: "the lengthy appeals process is frequently used to lengthen a capital convict's lifespan."

The appeal process should be used for the purpose that it was designed, NOT as an attempt to block carrying out the sentence. As it's used now, in most cases, it's nothing less than legal bullshit and extensive red-tape that costs millions of taxpayers' dollars.

Good!! The federal government should stay the hell out of states' issues. We, in Texas, understand that violent criminals can't or won't be rehabilitated into useful, law-abiding citizens ...we know, from numerous studies, that such criminals will simply do it again. No society needs such people, and no society should spend money to keep them around, even in cages!

Baron Max

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the only thing i disagree with is that violent criminals cannot be rehabilitated.
    many many many violent criminals have gone on to live very productive, peaceful lives after lengthy prison stays.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Please cite those "many, many, many" rehabilitated violent criminals. I'd be highly interested ...as would most, if not all, psychologists!

Baron Max

20. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i have a good friend, for example...he was convicted of arson (a very very violent crime).
    after his release from prison, he has become a very productive member of society.

my uncle was convicted of armed robbery of a federally insured building. he served many years in prison, and has, since his release, been gainfully employed with a very reputable auto manufacturing company.

those are just the folks that i PERSONALLY know. now, i admit...not all violent criminals are capable of rehabilitation. but why should we brand ALL violent criminals as incapable of rehabilitation?

thats like saying that all texans carry six shooters on their hip. its a blanket statement, and entirely unworthy of most of the folks you are talking about when you say something like that.

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

also, on a sidenote....dont invoke the word "psychologist" with me, unless you know an AWFUL lot about that subject. it is a personal study of mine, and my significant other is quite well versed in the same academic study.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, Devil Inside, your two post didn't even come close to showing/proving your original statement of "Many, many, many, violent criminals have gone on to live very productive, peaceful lives after lengthy prison stays." So ...when do we get an answer about it? Or does "many, many, many" mean just three???

And by the way, I'll invoke the word "psychologist" any-fuckin'-time I so choose to do it.

Baron Max

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

i don't know any "reputable" places that hire felons