"I could care less"

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Laika, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

"I could care less".

People use this phrase to convey indifference. Surely they really mean "I couldn't care less". What they succeed in communicating to me is "I am a retard".

What does it mean to you?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i could care less

seriously though, it's a phrase that a person uses when the subject is unimportant or irrelevent

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I've rarely heard the phrase "I could care less". I've often heard it said couldn't.

Although sometimes I do say "I could care less...watch" and look even more unimpressed.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's true, a lot of people on these forums do use 'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't...', which is slightly irritating, given that these people liken themselves to intellectuals.

Other phrases or misspellings that grate, are 'anyhoo', instead of anyhow; 'anyways', instead of anyway and quite a few others, which I can't think of at the moment.

8. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

wow deja vu, have we had this thread before? My ex used to say i could care less, which is fine it just made me laugh as its the opposite of what she meant and stupid people are quite entertaining(why do you think i come here?)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyhoo or anyways doesnt bother me since despite being grammatically poor it conveys the same point, even im guilty of saying anyways, but usually as trailing off a sentence. Also im the first to admit my language skills are somewhat limited.

9. Light Registered Senior Member

Yes, not a good showing for those who claim to be intellectuals. Another one is "alot." Why they think that's all one word instead of correctly being two ("a lot") is beyond me.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You just wait and see, many of the things we're talking about now will probably be recognised by various Dictionaries around the globe.

If anyone here ever watched Futurama, the word ask has been replaced by todays slang, aks.

I forsee this happening with many words used on the net. Examples being Al/tho, Alot, Teh and hell, we might even see Woot in there. I know I use that in real life.

And I believe 'anyhoo' is supposed to be 'anywho' which is becoming a popular word.

11. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

i have never heard anyone say that, but at a guess they are implying "i could care less, but not by much"

12. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

I still cant believe "smell you later" replased goodbye

13. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Teh w00t. Some people jsut aren't 1337 enough to appreciyate gramma.

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about.. the correct spelling dear Zephyr, should read, sum ppl.. arn't... enuf. I mean, get it right

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

^ ^ ^

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Similarly, some morons say 'could of', ... because they say 'of' instead of the contraction for 'have'. They should say 'could've' (which is still sloppy) but over pronounce the contraction and turn it into 'of'.

17. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Indeed. All of these types of thing irritate more than they probably should.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's lots of corruptions of the language like that. Of course, it should be "I couldn't care less." The phrase "I could care less" seems to be primarily an Americanism.

One more I can think of, off hand, is "for all intensive purposes".

19. Gustav Banned Banned

which is of course....for all intents and purposes
    you probably will like this one, james

20. Gustav Banned Banned

oooh

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD

The earliest meaning of the word “quick” in English is “alive.” When a baby was first felt to move in its mother’s womb it was considered to have come to life, and this moment was called “quickening.” This original meaning of the word “quick” has now died out except in the phrase “the quick and the dead,” kept alive by the King James translation of Acts 10:42, which speaks of Jesus as judge “of quick and dead,” but even more by the continued recitation of the Apostles’ Creed, which says of Jesus that “he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.”

People who use this phrase to imply that speed is involved—liveliness rather than aliveness—sometimes get credit for creating a clever pun but more often come off as ignorant.

i love this shit

21. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Then you'll love Lederer. At the top is my pet peeve. Newscasters, along with everyone else, are constantly misusing it.

~Raithere

22. Satyr Banned Banned

I could care more…but I don’t bother. :bugeye:

23. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

There used to be a newsreader in the UK, on the BBC no less, who used to pronounce muslim, like muslin; he used to irritate the fuck out of me.