EMR harm

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by allisone417, Jan 9, 2006.

1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

Would somebody help me sleep easier and tell me really, how harmful is the EMR we surround ourselves with day and night? What change is going on in my living cells? Im surrounded with floursecent lights all the time, can only use the microwave to get hot food, and I have a mini-fridge 3 feet away from where i sleep, which i cant change -- college life. Also, green tea would help counter these effects?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

All the research says you are in no danger at all. People have been worried about that ever since the first power lines went up. There have been very, very many studies done and none have ever proven there was any problem.

One thing is that people don't really know the difference between the two types of radiation - ionizing and non-ionizing. Ionizing radiation, such as gamma and x-rays actually cause cellular damage. The type you're talking about is non-ionizing and doesn't present that problem. It does not have a high enough energy level.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i spend a good amount of time in front of my crt that has an anode potential of about 7,000 volts, i haven't noticed any ill effects.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

No danger at all. Not a sausage.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, that's not true. I don't have the studies, they were done in the early nineties, but due to that/those studies, it's now illegal to build homes within some 300 feet of high-voltage power lines. There was in significantly higher rate of cancer (I think?) for people who lived closer to those power lines. Now that's the big, high-voltage supply lines, not the little power lines that run around in the neighborhoods, etc.

I'm sorry that I don't have the links or studies, but I'm sure if you searched you could find them. Ditto for construction too close to the lines.

Baron Max

9. Yes, slapping people very close to heavy duty high tension power transmission lines and electrical substations, these days avoided. There's also some degree of controversy surrounding microwave transmitter relays for various applications such as the mobile phone network - not too cleaver to be living slap bang right next too and the people that generally claim them harmless, by a curious twisty of fate, never happen to live near by.

Funny how that happens, eh?

Anyway - alisone. Unless you're experiencing a very broad band of symptoms ranging from frequent headaches, the inability to concentrate properly, short term memory loss, etc - there's no reason to suppose your in any real danger from anything you describe.

Step out of the campus on a warm summers day with very little on and, when you get down to it, your voluntarily exposing yourself to a mass amount of actually very harmful ultraviolet radiation without much of a thought for the consequences - sun exposure definitely might provoke a detrimental outcome, but its a risk we're all willing to take in the name of looking "healthy"...

Humans, go figure.

Electro Magnetic Hyper Sensitivity, or just plain EMS is becoming something of an issue these days, especially with regards to the workplace - not unlike ME suffers, there do seem to be a proportion of individuals who continually claim ill heath as a consequence of constant exposure to modern day electrical gizmo's running a gauntlet of non specific symptoms much along the lines described above. Whether there's genuinely anything concrete to it far more research needs to be done, but unless your personally experiencing any of them I shouldn't worry unduly.

Green tea is indeed a fine antioxidant, the only thing better being normal tea due to the fact that its actually palatable - being British and all that I can hugely recommend the habit and in fact have too otherwise I can be sentenced to 60 years in the Tower of London for Treason if I don't.

I doubt its actually necessary for me to drink tea for health reasons, but generally its far, far better for you than coffee.

As to the rest, even if y'did somehow manage to avoid electrical and electronic devices and live in the middle of nowhere your on a planet actively producing its own electromagnetic field powered by a naturally occurring nuclear fusion reactor thats been actively running now for the past 4 billion years or so and we're all still around to live mostly longish lives and still tell the tale.

If you've any specific reason to be worried though, do make a point of discussing the matter with a GP, but other than that you're more than likely fine...

Speaking of which, I believe another cuppa is now in order. Gad, it's great being British!

Toodles,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!