Mental Health and the Existentialists

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tnerb, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

The title to this post is Mental Health and the Existentialists. Or it maybe should say instead "Existentialism." The goal of it, is to ask a question or clarify a question that I have about my mental health and what may not have been put down in any paper in any manner which is clear. It is in the free thoughts section, because it is a free thought of mine, which I wonder if it will even work as appropriate.

My first question:

Does "existentialism" as broad or the existentialists even, reach all manners of living? Ie; do they speak so that they are refering to life. ... Hmmm what do I mean? Do they answer questions about our being? Surely they do. Then, do they answer all questions, as in, refering to all aspects of psych or ego, or that I can find with them, perhaps, some answer to my own terrible mental problems?

All that I am seeking here is clarity of this question. Any help would be greatly appericated. It is actually in earnest, that I ask this question. My thirst for knowledge is due to my inability (BTW: the reason women like me (not dis like me) is because I am too lovelly! LOL) for what ever may ever be appropriate. I have "a screw loose", and seak for some clarity.

Thanks in advance guys!
    exista

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I doubt the existentialists would be of any help to the mentally ill.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

Surely they are of no help to them. But if they would like for their philosophys to be complete, then for me it is natural for them to show exactly, all threads of what authenticity is, as in, uncovering the psychology of the individual. I am probably wrong? Maybe I ain't mentally sick. But I struggle with something that isn't entirely clear. I wonder if they speak about making my being clear?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think you want the Buddhists for clarity, or at least, the Transcendentalists like Henry David Thoreau for comfort.

Existentialism tends to view human beings as subjects in an indifferent, objective, often ambiguous, and "absurd" universe in which meaning is not provided by the natural order, but rather can be created, however provisionally and unstably, by human beings' actions and interpretations. [wikipedia]

Transcendentalism was the name of a group of new ideas in literature, religion, culture, and philosophy that advocates that there is an ideal spiritual state that 'transcends' the physical and empirical and is only realized through a knowledgeable intuitive awareness that is conditional upon the individual.

The aim of Buddhist practice is to achieve liberation from suffering and to attain the realization of true reality (nirvana) by escaping the cycle of rebirth (samsara) (Pāli, Sanskrit) and preventing the cultivation of unwholesome Karma. To achieve this, one should purify and train the mind and act morally.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

Hi existabrent...sorry to hear you are feeling distressew.
    actually there is no such thing as mental illness as themental health movement states---ie., that it is a biological illness. this has/is being discussed about in these forums........
    There is no evidene that shows 'mental illness' to be an organic disease

so. don't take my word for it, begin explorin tis for yourself......an excellent spokesperson for this isse is Fred Baughmann MD

as for Existentialism. its philosphy is quite errrrrrrrrrrrm living in the moment, BUT as Alan Watts pointed out 'trembles' withanxiety regarding DEATH. in fact that 'atitude' informs their belief

whereas a deeper underlying Stream, such as that which is EARTHED.......such as earth-oriented traditions, see death as a continuum with life as a continuum with death as a continum of regeneration

so in that insight is not the same angst about dying ......ie., there might BE anxiety and even terror but not as in a loop...a constant dread. on 'NON-existence'

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

Guys... thanks for your posts. They are mighty helpful!

I would like to eg u on. lol. :

Seeing how I am as terrible and diagnosed with a disorder (schizoaffective, depressed type) etc etc etc and all this confusion, .... would reading Sartres Being and Nothingness help me out? That is meant as a joke, which is sad. But I almost mean it.... I seek any help. I seek it in philosophy and psychology and reading.... At least making it to where I am sure that my reading is sane. I don't even think I read normally, sometimes I get more out of it and I think that I am egotistical, which is not very useful as I read Dostoevsky.... He seems similar to me and gives me something for help. I seek solid ground, something as solid ground, as I am mr penetrated man (the opposite of Sartres "people should ask themself that they are always looked on by other" etc.

So, what I am saying is there any general outlines out there for anything which may interest this sort?

thx again

10. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

have you considered meditation?

are you looking for writings that will give you answers to something particular?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Jesus, Dostoevsky is about as depressing as it gets. A friend of mine who has schizophrenia likes the Book of Urantia, available on-line, but it's like 2,000 pages long.
    http://www.urantia.org/papers/index.html

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Thanks guys!!R! Well, LOL Dostoevsky surely is. But that's what I want.... I mean, what do I want?! I want to read something from the underground because it sounds like it may relate. And a lot of what he says DOES relate very well. Like the thing about the angry will to be heards (as I call them!), how he couldn't become an insect. A lot of things. how he could never look one in the eye. How.... He is living and I am unliving? Is my wording of how I like to think about this. Is he "living very very well" or something? I think he is. Like when he says he gets angry for no reason but for himself. You see, these things I very much like to talk, and think, about. he influences me on how he gets angry to help himself. He gets angry for no apparent reason whatever whatever (i'm not even sure I am a romantic reader, or, able to be a good reader. But that is odd. I think I read pretty good).... He influenced me on that. How I should get angry at something so I can take up for what I am seeking. So terribly! EEEEEEKkkkkkk!

I took meds before. They didn't seem to help, but I think that I probably didn't get the right treatment with it. I took them for about 6 months, no real help there.... But I did smoke the el greeno. Do some booze. Which I shouldn't have. Maybe that's one reason why it didn't help. But no, I left life mannagement center and tried to help my self. I have gone far and did a lot but am very confused. Anyway....

Thanks again~! I'm going to go check out that site.

yes, I am looking for some VERY specific books. I can't be so sure about the subject, but I have some good ideas. I will try to get to that later.

I forgot what I was going to say

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My favorite philosopher is U.G. Krishnamurti. He sounds like he might be a Hindu, but it's not what you might expect.

http://www.well.com/user/jct/

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

I am interested in what makes a connection to reality, that base. There are bases; there are many bases. One of them I look into is the penetration of one. How one is looked at and terrified or something of the person. That is something that never seems to leave my mind, I have wrote about it too much.

This post here is about the book that I am interested in finding. I want to know my self, but I have problems there, because there are things which, of course, get in the way! You might say I am looking for psychology. But i can't be so sure about that. Some kind of psychology. Something that would explain to me all that is my behaviour. What I should take as authority and why. How I can achieve these things, get past all these horrors.

Many things like that. It felt really good to type that down. But I didn't get very far.

exista

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The knowledge you have of the world creates the objects you are experiencing. The actual existence or non-existence of something "out there" in the world is not something you can determine or experience for yourself, except through the help of your knowledge. And this knowledge is not yours; it is something which you and your ancestors have accumulated over a long time. What you call the "act of knowing" is nothing other than this accumulated memory. You have personally added to and modified that knowledge, but essentially it doesn't belong to you at all.

There is nothing there inside you but the totality of this knowledge you have accumulated. That is what you are. You cannot even directly experience the reality of the world in which you are functioning, much less some world beyond. There is no world beyond space and time. It is your invention, based upon the vague promises of the holy men. Our sense of value springs from the world as it is imposed on us. We must accept the world.

U.G. Krishnamurti

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

Buddhist Socrates? I like what you posted there of him. I like a lot of things though, which, to be honest, I don't think is a good thing. I should quit thinking I have a problem all the time (I have difficulties).

If only I had sound on my computer.... 0_o

17. Tnerb Banned Banned

Force, or influence me that I should change or take the authority that is a must be in my life, or how?------........
    That's one wording of the cure?

There is something else which is different than just the cure though, which I forgot right now. But not only do I want to cure. I want to cure.... and I need to cure. I need to know how. So, I guess you could say that I seek to see a way of how to get, "the cure". ..... I look a way for me to be sane and normal, and not very bizarely rude (i am not rude, but I call it that because that is probably what it seems like to others)--; I am the penetrated....... 0_o

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

Earnestly, I appericate the info.

All I look for now is a response to some of my posts, and from whatever you may find, that you post a book which may be helpful from that. I can buy it on line. Or any further talk about this 'thread.' I kinda like it but I think I am a freak. No, i'm not a freak. But the defination I know of freak is kinda freakin right LOL

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

This post is about me, mostly; making a fool of myself as I usually do do. But the title, "mental health and the existentialists", seems about relevent. What I mean, is that perhaps I am capable of picking up existentialism as a philosophy. .... "the cure", as I said in the previous post, is very much open to so many things, too many things. That is what goes through my mind a lot. I constantly worry, and that is about just when I must. Musn't I? Shouldn't I worry that I will be very off when someone will walk into the room at this time? Therefore, a lot is on my mind, such as what I have called "the penetratz" or the penetrated man. But I am quickly abandoning that line of thought. Though, for any self improvement, there is one thing which I can not get past in my thought which may be relevent to this thread. I can't seem to drop it. I was told at a self help/psychology forum, that I am exercising in mental masturbaition, that is unless it provides me with any furthering of myself in my life. That made me recognize. Yet even though I am still recognizing this, I still can't get past that terrid thing in my head, which may spin into worse things (I WON'T let it!). But how am I to escape this terror? What is it?: a stopping haulting penetrated thing which others probably wont like. Something which, maybe, everyone has, yet that they move on past it in their lifes. It is evaded and maybe even lost (thought I doubt that)! But I can't get over it. Surely I shouldn't be liked because of it, and I can't get a job because of it. So.... how am I to convince myself that this is stupid, if it isn't?

Felt good to write that.

---
    exista

20. Tnerb Banned Banned

Seems like I am trying to get my thought straight, .... Can't tell, but any help, at all, would be very very much appericated.

21. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

i would not say you are engaging in mental masturbation, it seems to me that it is cathartic for you to talk about your pain. i would geuss, from this simple observation, a lot of your pain is caused by not being able to talk about your problem. represion or suprression does not help, you will have noticed that probably with your meds. after an amount of time the weight of your illness backs up against the restrictions placed on it by the meds. you cannot block yourself from its fullest expression and that is what it is Your Self. let it out, release it. express your pain dont supress yourself.

random.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you understand

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

ellion I liked your post. It seems everything just about that I read now and Today is influenced on me; a good thing. one time, however, I did let it out. It was totally insane. I was screaming and cussing "like a sailor", as i quote my grandpa who was called to the house because of an "emergancy." I told my mom previously that hitler was my role model, and I was the typical way I always at durring these times then. So, point is, what I was doing is letting it out. It started when I was fighting with the dogs. But I think it was playful fighting, still do. So, then my brother came out there wanting to fight me. Because my mom was crying because of it all (or some reason!). We fought, im glad I didn't kill him... he head butted me and I didn't want to hurt him. After that I was a bit shaken up. He went back inside. I was shaken up, then, my sister came out there, we talked a bit and she told my mom that I told her and she believes me, that I was just playing--- that I didn't hurt them. She came to appoligise, and was sad or something, maybe a bit MAD. ... Well, she told me "you've been doing this (thing) alot, and hitler is your role model..." etc etc-- failureish. I blew up at the hitler comment and the failure that I am. I ran off, when she was talking to me, and that is because I couldn't help but cry. I went to cry behind this very old rusty truck in our back yard. Hidden. .... I stayed there, because after all ellion you're right, i don't let it out-- i guess youcould say. So. I sat there, sitting in my own "whatever is my life-- FAILURE! ish sort of cry with the sort of life in my head, whatever it is that I have. My mom came looking for me. My grand pa showed up shortly thereafter. Then my grandma (not on that grandpas side). My dad very much after the event I am about to describe. I was cussing like a sailor. I was screaming. This all started... I don't remember when. When my mom came looking for me; yeah, that's when. She told me to come in side, she started calling my name. "Brent where are youuuuuuu!" etc. Finally, I answered her. I got up or whatever, and my crying (what is my sort life) was a bit haulted-- thought turned mad. I was mad. Thus, emergancy. I didn't feel mad. I felt very, very good. Like I haven't felt in a very, very long time. .... They started questioning me. (if you're still listening) I started screaming! But I thought my screams were JUST! They thought I was a cussing sailor (who, happend to want to fight with them when they gave any sort of that sign).

I felt like I was releasing all of the greatest things ever. I think I am penetrated to the core. What is the core? Letting out is good when I know what core I will release.

THANKS FOR LISTENING GUYS!!!!

23. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

wow! there is a lot of you looke d up in there. i wonder who the petnetor is that sounds like someone has intruded into your mind and taken over. you know what i noticed about your message is that. people around you dont help you to be yourself. it seems that they want to help you stay locked up. i dont know if locked up is the right word, you know. that must be so very frustrating it would make me angry, of course then you would not be able to let that out either, cause anger is just so not allowed RIGHT? oh dear! it is all good for you, everything you express, your joy, your pain, your fear, your love, your hate it is all you and it is all valid, and if it needs to get out you have to let it out, let it for your self fuck everyone else and what they want. fuck them!!