Cold, Snow and Ice?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Baron Max, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, cold, snow and ice ....why would anyone want to live in a place where there's cold, snow and ice about 5 months out of the year? I just don't get it.

And this is not about playing in it, then when ye're cold and tired, you can come in a get warm again. It's about living in it; going to work in it; wearing all those warm clothes that you have to take off as soon as you get where ye're going; then putting back on to leave to go home; ....etc, etc.

Yes, I was born and raised in that shit, and left just as soon as I could! I still see that crap on tv and shake my head and wonder .....Why would anyone with any intelligence, live in such a place?

Please tell me.

Baron Max

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like real winters, but I'm allergic (cold shivers) to wool. So I dress in cotton and have a lightweight leather jacket with thick fur inside. That solves my allergy and cold weather. Everything past that is comfortable. I don't mind dressing up and down, it's additional exercise for my muscles and joints.

As to why I like cold winters, I don't really know, childhood habit of playing in the woods in snow, making a camp with a bone fire, the comfortable feel with a hot tea and listening to the blizzards outside, etc. I'm in it for the atmosphere it creates I think. And the liking is subjective not objective.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Why would anyone want to live in a hot place where tropical hurricanes can wipe out your house? Or in a tornado zone? Or near a volcano? Or on an earthquake fault line (e.g. San Francisco or LA)? Or near a forest where there could be wild fires (or bush fires, as we Australians call them)?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know, James, do you?

I mean, seriously, there are many such areas/climates that are especially harsh, and it's always made me wonder why in hell anyone would live in those places. And it's not about my opinion or my own feelings about living there, but why do others?

Why would Floridians continue to live where hurricanes are a regular, and devastating, occurance? Why would someone live in/near Las Vegas where the daytime temperatures exceed 100 degrees F for most of the year?

I mean ....well, this is about human nature and the human's ability to justify his own conditions of life/living. How do they/can they actually justify living in such harsh conditions when they know that there are other, perhaps better, places to live and work and raise their families?

And please remember, I'm well aware that some people might actually like the cold, snow and ice, and like it well enough to put up with the inconvienences and costs. I understand that, but I'd like to hear their reasons (if they have any?). Some people just stay close to home without ever giving any thought to leaving.

It's just a curiosity issue with me, that's all.

Baron Max

8. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I can think of a very simple reason for living in such a climate after today, the temperature here was 44°C, it was the hottest New Years day on record around here. It's generally easier to keep warm than it is to keep cool, but having not ever seen snow I may be talking out my arse

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

So are we to assume, Baron, that you live in ideal place (perfect climate, no natural disasters)? I guarantee you it's far from perfect (wherever you live). If it's not climate, it's polution, or crime, or high cost of living, etc..

Why would anyone with any intelligence leave home because of snowy winters?

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why would you assume that?

Well, how 'bout getting to work? Or the grocery store? Or the library? Or school? Or a movie? Geez, there must be a gazillion reasons ..perhaps even more than a gazillion.

Baron Max

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

anyone with a decent car/truck can still get to work in the snow, you probably just assume that since your oversized plastic yank tanks cant do it then nothing can. last time the snow has ever caused a problem here was in the '92 snow storm where the city was paved in almost a metre of snow

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Does it even snow in New Zealand??

Baron Max

13. valich Registered Senior Member

"Chestnuts roasting on the open fire"........

Providing you have a fireplace, that is - the sweet smell of a pine log burning: "ahhhh."

Skiing! Throwing snow! Watching my dog roll in it! Watching the neighbor's kids build a snowman, or a snow tunnel, or fort. Christmas lights! Ice skating! Taking a hike with my dog romping up-and-down! Counting snowflakes! Or better yet, looking at each one up close and marvelling at the infinite structure of Nature within each one. The peace and tranquility - the ecstasy! - of snuggling up in a warm quilt for the night and waking up the next morning to see those ohhhh so beautiful snowflakes drifting down as you look out the window.

The change of seasons - winter, spring, summer, fall - is a gift that let's you appreciate the next one that comes.

14. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

You've got to be joking, why else would vslayer say so :bugeye:
    And how hard is it to look it up if you really don't believe it...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

it snows most winters in christchurch, but only for a few days.

out here near the coast it hardly ever snows, but we got about 30cm this winter and that was nothing to stop the 323

16. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Yeah sure. Why not? Cold is awesome. It's...cold.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, I think playing in the snow is great, and lots of fun. You can quit and come into the warmth whenever you want. Yeah, great!

But I'm talking about having to drive to work, or shovel the driveways and walks, or getting stuck in the snow and/or traffic tie-ups, cars freezing up, ..., i.e., things that you HAVE TO DO out in the cold, snow and ice.

And please remember, I grew up in such a climate, so I know what it's like and the misery involved in dealing with it. And I also know many people that like it, but....? Well, I was just curious as to what y'all thought about it.

Baron Max

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Duno, I grew up doing the same, it didn't bother me at all.

19. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You just adapt and grow familiar with the conditions you have to endure. To people living there, it's normal.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Snow and Ice in finland give amazingly little trouble. That is because people are used to it and know how to deal with it. If it snows for instance in the Netherlands transport grinds to a halt.

With the proper infrastructure and culture snow and ice pose no trouble to live with.

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Some of us who grew up in such climate are simply used to it.

But I think a lot of the fascination with winter is sheer romanticism. People do all sorts of costly and stupid things because they are romantics.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Often no problem to shovel snow in short sleves in Norway, as I have done. Without the heat releasted by snow, Norway would be a lot colder.

(Heat is given to air as water vapor freezes. This is why winter in Oslo is often warmer than in Boston, even thought Oslo is 1000 Km farther north. Boston's winds may be cold dry Canadian air, instead of moist air from above the gulf stream.)

23. valich Registered Senior Member

Great source of exercise! And the necessary motivation always there to tell you that you have to do it!

I like the Northern weather, not just because of the weather (the highly enjoyable change of seasons) but also because of lack of overpopulation. In general, countries and geographic locations get more-and-more populated as you move towards the equatorial regions. The farther away from the equator you go, the less-and-less populated it gets. And I love the snow!