stupid animal

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Semon, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

we always assume animal has human characters, e.g. when some people blame us for forcing animal to do tricks, or kill them. they are just animals, having no feeling, slightly better than plant. who care about them?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

umm,please dont let your child use your sciforums account.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

I have no child thanks. child is evil.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

You have a very small view of the world around you, then. A child's view.
    You've obviously never had a pet, nor seen an animal in the wild. They have the ability to think, rationally and logically, just not the extent that humans are.

8. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

I was a dog owner but I just realize how stupid it is to pretend it has any feelings. I am not it, how could I know? who know, maybe I am the only one who has feeling, ha ha.

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Well, dogs are, mostly, simply stupid snimals. You can't base all animals after just one member of one species. That'd be like juding that all animals are brutal maniacs after observing one human.
    When you hit a dog, does it not yelp? When you prick it wit ha pin, does it not bleed? When you pet it, does it not wag its tail?
    These are all evident signs of feeling, and it extends to all animals, not just other mammals.
    Now, some animal's phisiology do not allow it display signs of emotions the way primates can. The way a dog's or a cat's or a deer's skull is shaped doesn't allow them to smile, and such, but you can tell that they are afraid or happy or angry.

10. Light Registered Senior Member

Rather than being the only one who has feelings, I'd say you are in the minority that has no feelings - and not much intelligence either. Or are you just some little dummy trolling around for an argument? No matter - neither is very smart.

11. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

you are imagined by me, I don't think you exist.

12. Light Registered Senior Member

That was really brilliant, too.

Do me a favor and put me in your will. I'd like to see what a completely unused brain looks like.

13. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

In politics, useless mavericks like Semon are sometimes treated with a cordon sanitaire. In this case, it could mean that we, the other posters, could agree not to give Semon the opportunity to reflect his own frustations on us, by the simple means of just ignoring this person.

14. Light Registered Senior Member

Excelent suggestion, Mouse, we certainly wouldn't miss anything.

Done.

15. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

We are animals too. It would be irrational and illogical, not to mention self centered, narrowminded, and plainly stupid to say that they don't have feelings, emotions, etc.
    But if that weren't enough, we know that our nervous system is responsible for all of those things. They have a nervous system, and every type of neuron, etc.
    We also know exactly what causes us to feel pleasure, and other feelings/emotions ( for example endorphins such as dopamine, and other neurotransmitters cause pleasure), and they also have the same chemicals and the same structures in their brains that are affected by those chemicals.
    Now don't get me wrong... I'm not talking about ALL animals. I'm talking mostly about vertebrates and maybe some others... I don't think sponges for example have nervous systems, and a hydra probably doesn't feel happiness (although personally I think they feel pain. Pain is just how you percieve an immediate physical danger such as something really hot... and since we can SEE that they're aware of immediate physical dangers and react accordingly, it is only logical to conclude that they feel pain)

16. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

ex---------actly. my point is that the "feeling" of animal is different with each other. so we should not treat other animals by human values. maybe some of them love to be killed, sm. who know.

17. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

humans ARE animals. put aside your feelings of the superiority of your species

18. duendy Registered Senior Member

yeahhh, might know yu'd believe tis obscenity, what wit yer choice of signature 'fuck you fucker'......ACTUALLY animals have very MUCh feeling. it was Rene Descartes--look him up, who creeated the vile belief the were automations. previous the Church said same about women---that they had no souls.

what you NEEEED to research is 'patriarchal mindset'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

evolution has bred only animals that strive to survive. there might be an individual or two that wouldn't mind dying, but it would be very improbable. and the 'feeling' you're talking about wouldn't be all that different because they have similar structures as ours, just a lot less complex.

20. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

Just like with humans
    Are you sure about that? I mean sure a cockroach may not have any part of the brain more complex than ours, but just because they're animals doesn't mean EVERYTHING is less complex. There are animals that have more complex of every body part maybe with the exception of the cerebral cortex. Since the areas in the brain that govern feelings/emotions and stuff are the most primitive ones, I don't see why they have to be any less complex. Once you evolve feelings and emotions, can you really improve them? and if you could, are we really more complex in those areas than they are? pain is pain, love is love, hate is hate... or is there a "better" type of hate?

21. valich Registered Senior Member

Maybe some dogs are smarter than others but I guarantee you that my Norwegian Elkhound has feelings. She'll sulk for over a day when yelled at unless she knows what she did wrong. I'm certainly not alone in knowing that dogs have feelings and how smart they can be.

Hell, some reporter on the news just now just interviewed a man who was wheel chair bound and had a heart attack or something: his cat sensed something was wrong and dialed 911! (Channel 12 News, Phoenix, Arizona, approximately 6:00 P.M.)

Within my own breed there are countless stories about how they saved people's lives. One elkhound dragged a very young child out of the street - pulling the child's clothes by the mouth - then kept him distracted on the tree lawn by tossing a toy into the air until his mom came home.

I have lots of friends in Alaska - mushers with huskies - who retell similar experiences. They do not treat their dogs lightly! Certainly not like plants!!!

I could go on and on about relife canine stories, but it's sad that some people don't realize just how smart other animals can be - and how stupid humans can be for that matter!

Basically, the more you treat a dog like a person, rather than like a senseless toy, the smarter it'll be and the more you'll learn to appreciate that intelligence: albeit a different type of intelligence than humans have. Nonetheless.

22. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

oh yeah! I heard about that! That doesn't qualify as evidence for cats having emotions though. The cat didn't know the police were coming to help the owner and stuff. The owner had just trained the cat to do something, and the cat did it. I think that's still pretty smart, but I don't see evidence for emotions.
    Yeah, like that dog in britain that when his owner died, he went to his grave every day for a number of years... then he died.
    They even have a monument (just a little statue I think) for him there.
    Now THAT is PROOF for emotions. The dog had NOTHING to gain from going to his owner's grave every single day for years, rain or shine, yet he did it anyway. Why? because he was sad that his owner had died.

23. valich Registered Senior Member

Just like Rin Tin Tin was perhaps the most famous of all German Shepherds - and look what they showed that he could do - Trygvie Vikingson is perhaps the most famous of all Norwegian Elkhounds. He grew up with his master twenty miles from where I was born in Cleveland, Ohio. Tryge lived till he was 14 and died three days after his master passed away - coincidence?