Where would you like to live?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Victor E, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Victor E Registered Senior Member

If you were going to choose a country where you were going to live, where would you choose to live?

My guess is that a lot of people will say their motherland, but maybe some of you are of a different opinion.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Everywhere.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I would like to move around every few years or so since every country has its good sides.

That said some countries have more good sides than others.

My score so far (1-10, 10 being best, 7 would be comfortable to live in):
    Netherlands 7
    Finland 8
    USA 5

But I hope my next country will be different again from the previous ones.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I am were I wanted to be. Las Vegas Nevada.

I've never traveled to Europe, nor anywhere out of the Americas, the countries so far that I've lived is Venezuela (born there), and the US, it's way better here then it was there. I traveled this country from coast to coast and lived in many places, the place were I really liked to live was Las Vegas, so I moved here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Godless

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

i LOVE Britain...it is sooo...((((((enchanting. ie., the greenery, woods, meadows, lakes. the changynes of the days, thelittle windy lanes in Devon.....my deep regret is what thefukin materialistic corporate mindset has DONE to theland. hardly an meadows exists now, anceint woodlands have been destroyed etcetc....but always, that greenery is prolificaly abundant and waiting to crack the steel-grey concrete....also where i alive i am near a wonderful park. sometimes you can pretend your right in the country, and/or by the sea as the road around it creates a roaring sound reminiscent of strong surf

whereelse?

errrrm...New Zealand...i love the idea of all the fresh sea around it for miles and miles and.....

9. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

in the sahara desert... or an island with no one but me :m:

10. J.B Banned Banned

Racist!

11. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I agree with the Monkey, moving around is fine with me.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ok, on the monkeys scale, from places ive been:

new zealand 8
    australia 7
    america 4
    canada 7
    england 6

13. Victor E Registered Senior Member

Just of out intrest: Do you think netherlands is so good because it's allowed to produce drugs?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or is it something else?

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You don't have to walk up hill at any time. The trains run on time. You can get the two for one offer on flights out of Schipol: KLM take you to your destination and your bags to another. It's conveniently located for invading France from Germany. And, on a serious note, there is the Rijksmuseum.

15. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Contrary to urban legend, it isn't.

The Netherlands is built on a human scale. It doesn't overwhelm you or forces itself down your throat, and as such you feel that you matter and are respected. It's an illusion, of course, but the feeling is nice nonetheless. The down side is that even the capital city, Amsterdam, fails to have a metropolitan atmosphere. You don't get that thrilling 24/7 buzz as you'd have in e.g. Moscow or New York.

I have no desire to leave Amsterdam at this point, but to respond to the thread's question, I'd like to live in Sweden. At least from a distance, it seems like the kind of place where one would like to raise kids.

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Since when was Amsterdam the capital of the Netherlands? Should someone tell the government and the Royal Familiy in Den Haag?

17. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

From The World Factbook: "Capital: Amsterdam; The Hague is the seat of government"

From Wikipedia: "Amsterdam is the hoofdstad ("capital city"), where according to the constitution, the sovereign must be sworn in. The Hague is the Netherlands regeringszetel or residentie (seat of government, residence of the monarch)."

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Interesting. I should have known that.

19. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

And since when? From here: "On April 20, 1808 he [Louis Napoleon] moved into the town hall in the Dam Square; Amsterdam had become both capital and residence."

20. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Austria. Vienna, specifically.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like to live in Eastern Europe. Comfortable, temperate climate, no natural disasters worth speaking of, fairly safe both environmentally and politically (compared to some other regions), beautiful nature, people that keep to themselves, a cultural heritage.

22. wkirby Registered Member

23. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Not at all. London is on my "must see" list, but I don't know if I'd want to live there, though. Those house prices...