how do you get a picture on here?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by hug-a-tree, Dec 25, 2005.

1. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

Just wondering. I'm new here sort of.
    How do you put a picture by your name? Not an icon or anything. Like your own picture. If someone could tell me how I'd really appreciate it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

use a site sich as ImageShack to host (store) the image for you then link to it from your posts lke so:

Code:
    [IMG]http:\\source.com\file.jpg[/IMG]
    try and keep them small, or use thumbnails (which are made for you automatically if you use Imageshack) so that pages load faster / look better etc..

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

ok, I'll do that. Thanks a lot.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

What the heck are thumbnails? The problem I've had is that I've posted some pics that were small on the webpages I posted them from, but when I re-posted them on Sciforum they are huge? Three times the size of the page? Why is this?

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

A thumbnail is a mini preview picture of a bigger one. You probably copied the link of the thumbnail to the big picture rather than copying the link of the small preview thumbnail itself.

- N

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Word of advice: save your pics as PNG, not BMP, GIF, or JPG. BMP is too large, GIF distorts the image, as does JPG.
    PNG maintains the coloring of a BMP, and the size of a JPG image. Clearer, better, smaller, meaning your pic can show up bigger on a page.

10. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Hapsburg is bang on.

PNG is my personal favourite for web images / logos / diagrams, as they sacrifice no quality whatsoever. Although, JPG is the best choice for photographs, or images with a large amount of detail, and can be compressed to a user specified amount.