Is this any way to run a country ?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Brian Foley, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Only $29 billion allocated to repair damage to New Orleans ! Which coincidentally would not have happened in the first place if Bush hadn't gutted flood preparations to pay for Iraq .

Add to this $453.3b another $3.8 b purchases to stock up on Tamiflu , which coincidentally Mr Donald Rumsfeld's company manufactures , this antedote has killed people it has been administered to , and has no effect on the bird flu at all .
    Your Goverment needs that money to win its war on terror , your scarifice will be appreciated ..............yeah right !

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

The last-minute budget cuts have hit the elderly and disabled very hard.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wkirby Registered Member

I agree with you, our spending priorities are out of whack. But, i'm not sure I understand your Tamiflu argument, or at least what you're trying to say. Do you think we shouldn't spend money on Tamiflu? What would you do if you were the President?

http://www.kirbyonfinance.com
    Please visit Kirby on Finance!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

From what I've heard, Tamiflu doesn't even work and it takes a ton of tablets to even do anything.

I just find it amusing that of all the hyped-up threats we face, the Bush Adminstration gains from it. Cheney with Haliburton, Bush 'n buddies with oil, Rumsfeld from the Bird Flu, Tom Ridge with Home Depot whenever the threat level rises and people go out and buy tools and supplies for doomsday, etc etc..

- N

8. Happeh Registered Senior Member

You didn't see the story on the witness who heard loud booms near the levy that caused NO to flood did you?

I am still trying to decide. Was it a strike by someone looking to get even? Or did Bush have the levy blown up so the government had a chance to test all their new martial law plans they have in place.

If you go back and look, the storm went over NO and everything was relatively fine. That levy did not break until towards the end of the storm from my recollection. If someone was counting on the storm destroying NO, and it didn't, it would only take a few sticks of dynamite to blow the levy and flood the town.

What is going on in NO anyways? It is like it never happened. I saw a story the other day saying it would take 3 to 5 years to rebuild. Where are the in depth news stories describing how the city is like right this minute? I get better news footage of the childrens cross walk guard than I do of the entire destroyed city of NO.

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

From what I read the Tamiflu is an unproven medication , yet Rumsfeld company which makes this medication had the US govt order it in large quantities . It seems to strike me as corrupt backhanding and mis use of taxpayer funds .

10. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I reside in Australia I can only ascertain the extent of events by what media reports become available . From there after the event I can formulate an opinion of the events as to how I see it . From the media reports I have read I can only conclude that the infrastructure of N.O was looted and money diverted elsewhere .

11. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

And yet you care so much about our spending. Is Australia so perfect that U.S. spending is such a big deal?

Anyway, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Sadly, there is nothing we can do except sit and wait patiently for 2008 to come. How the man was re-elected is beyond even me, and I live here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We must suffer because 51% of the country decided that Bush's stance on gay marriage and abortion was more important than the war and how he runs this country. The majority of Bush voters voted for him because they identified with his "moral standards". Such ignorance, sometimes I want to just move away.

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

America set the example with the IMF and World Bank dictating how other countries set policy spending .
    and in 2008 the Americans will vote in the Democrats for a change , and the Democrats will simply pick up from where the republicans left off .
    Because the SHEEPle did as they were instructed by the media , they voted Bush .
    Oh I will think you find that the people who run America are the plutocratic corporations , they are the true parallell goverment , the Demo/Publican Juntas are nothing more than a public charade . And that is the standard for every country .

13. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Not quite. The Democrats have their corruption, but their ideology, social programs and foriegn policy are much different from the Republicans. A Democratic president would not have gone into Iraq, a Democratic president would not have pushed the patriot act, a Democratic president would not have given such a huge tax cut to the rich, etc. They voted for them (Iraq war and Patriot Act) so the Republicans couldn't tear them apart on being "weak on terrorism". 2004 gave us two horrible candidates, but it was obvious Kerry was the better choice, 51% disagreed for stupid reasons. In 2008, we might actually see a decent Republican candidate in John McCain and a decent Democratic candidate in Hillary Clinton.

Neither one are better than some of the third party candidates, but they have no chance of winning thanks to the media.

And for the record, I'm a registered Independent.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm. Loud booms from a reinforced concrete barrier under enormous pressure. Have you ever heard concrete fail under pressure? It sounds like it's being struck by a sledge hammer repeatedly as it practically bursts apart. now apply this concept to a huge seawall and you get booms that sound like explosions.

For the record it was not Bush who messed up in New Orleans. It was the Lousiana Governer and the idiot in charge of the evacuation. both lied to the people and the federal governent. The governer refused to sign forms 3 days in advance when bush asked her to. The idiot claimed to have 50 buses at his disposal that he did not have.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

weak. Bush is the president, and you want to blame a state governor? Bush appointed a political hack to a very important position intimately tied to the security of the homeland. He would have failed just as badly had it been a terrorist attack rather than a hurricane.

16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Unlike you, I blame the people who failed to do their job. Bush had his hand tied becuase he need the Governers signature on the request that his administration filled out for her. All she had to do was sign and the President could act without needing to take it before congress. He was following procedure and law. As for the idiot with the evacuation plan that was her appointment not Bush's. They lied about the resources they had. they lied about spending the money on the levies. Then they threw up their arms and blamed Bush, and you believed them.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

18. Alejandro -2 Minutes To Midnight- Registered Senior Member

uhh the first failure was with local government. There should have been mandatory evacuations.

gloater

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  19. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

Clearing the landscape of unwanted excess population helps the natural environment. The Bush administration protects the environment in the long run. I vote Bush/Cheney 2008!

20. terryoh Registered Senior Member

really? then i can't wait until there's a hurricane/flood combo destroying washington D.C. we can clear all the unwanted politic-errr...population there

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So you think the rebuilding of New Orleans should have the same funding as the defense of the entire nation? Why does New Orleans need any federal money? Chicago burned to the ground and was rebuilt better than ever with zero federal money.

As far as the flood being the result of Bush cutting funding for flood preparations, BS. It takes years to build levies. Even if Bush had made NO flood preparations the centerpiece of his presidency, it would likely have made no difference. The sorry state of the levy system was the result of decades of neglect. If you want a scapegoat, try the enviromentalists who got the flood gate project canceled in the seventies.

22. bird flu isnt even in this country yet, its nowhere near here and hasn't become and epidemic in any other country that its in yet, let alone a global pandemic. we arent stockpiling AIDS medications here, yet thats a global pandemic. no we shouldnt spend money on tamiflu, by the time bird flu even gets here this whole stockpile we have right now will be expired and we will have to buy new.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Years ago, idea that GM was a mirrow of US, well run, strong, etc. was common.
    Saying was: "As GM goes, so goes the country."
    Well neither GM nor US has been well run recently.
    Easier to get hard data* on GM: In 52 weeks, market Cap is down 45% and decline is rapidly accelerating (16% drop in short month of Februrary2006 alone)
    The old saying is still true, but unlike GM, people still will buy US bonds at near face value, but that will soon change also, IMHO, to make the parallel complete.
    ------------------------------
    *www.forbes.com/2006/02/28/stock-focus-investing-cz_jr_0301sf.html?partner=investing_newsletter

There is lots of other data there, so I give a hint where above numbers are: Look at list of 10 worst performing companies. As percent of decline, GM does not head the list (some small companies do) but in absolute terms, GM loss of 10 billion dollars in one year, should put it at the top, perhaps of all time one year losers. (Enron cheaters excepted, if need be.) If you saw CNN program mentioned below and discussed more fully in my recent post in thread "Fall of the US," you will understand how the US can take GM's "honor" away, losing 100 (or more) times this amount in one year.

If you did not (or perhaps could not as program may be "too disturbing" to show in US) see CNN/international's program: "we were warned / tommorow's oil crisis" you can at least read the text at:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRI...3/19/cp.03.html

To give just at taste of the program, it goes month-by-month thru the economic changes in US in one year (2009). By end of the year, essentially all roads are free of trucks and cars, etc. Even mail delivery by government is very reduced. etc. What gas is available is for official use, etc.
    More, especially my thoughts about getting food on your table, at my "Fall of the US" post.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006