Major Victories in Senate today for Americans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cottontop3000, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Today, I watched a lot of C-SPAN2. I saw what I think are some major victories for the American people, as well as a small defeat. I saw the Democrats and several moderate Republicans stand up to what I see as corruption by the neo-con right. I saw them defeat this corruption. I am happy to be an American today, for the first time in about 5 years.

The Defense Budget was passed, which is good, because the democrats and enough republicans stood up and defeated another lame attempt by the neo-cons to sneak in a provision that could have killed the bill. For now, the neo-cons will not be drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Good try, neo-cons, but your manifest destiny is at an end.

In addition, the Patriot Act was extended for another six months, which is a victory for all Americans, because it gives the congress and the judiciary 6 months to weed out the sections that threaten our hard-won civil liberties before a longer-term version will be passed. I'm glad that democrats and moderate right-thinking republicans stood bush down on this issue.

The defeat, a provision of the Budget Reconciliation Act that takes money away from seniors, the disabled, foster kids, kids of divorce, medicare, medicaid and more. $40 Billion dollars over the next 5 years. Sad, but a necessary evil when negotiating with the devil that is the neo-con right.

Neo-cons, I sincerely hope your days are numbered. Now, I am going to watch some basketball with my grandfather and brother.

P.S. If you want to find out more about what exactly happened in the Senate, try www.c-span.org. Wonderful site.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Being a Happy American isn't about winning something temporary over other Americans.

That being the case, I'll just leave it at that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Whatever floats your boat, man. However, this isn't a victory over just any other Americans. This is a victory for Americans (all of us) over a few powerful, corrupt, power-mad, deluded americans who will ship all our jobs overseas, protect their pocket-books versus considering the damage they are doing to average american citizens, start wars based on outright lies, corrupt the rules of the Congress and of the U.S. Constitution for their own greedy benefit and spy on American citizens in a manner similar to what Nixon, J. Edgar Hoover and Joseph McCarthy did. I call a minority in the Senate, backed up by a more and more vocal American populous, who finally take a stand against these abuses, a victory for the American people.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Ummm... yay for frozen mud flats?
    And I have to agree that the Patriot Act needs those few months of ironing.

You do of course understand that you might actually get a few Republicans on your side if you got off your pedistal and took a less combative position. When you start shouting at someone that they are devilspawn, they aren't likely to listen to you very closely. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Bush 'n Co are the DEVILSPAWN!!

Oh, and free beer for everyone! Mmm, honey.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

9. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Technically that would either be really new mead or really old wine, depending on if its vinegar or honey.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

by god we agree on something. the courtroom will be the testing ground.
    i left your link in because the last one was pretty good.