University has turned into kindergarten

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by spuriousmonkey, Dec 19, 2005.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was doing some work in a lab (at a University) on another floor and overheard a conversation that made me laugh out loud. One of the student's mother had called the professor to ask if her child could be accepted in a course or something like that. Apparently the student didn't fulfil all requirements but i'll bet the mother told them all about how good and well behaved etc her child is.

A mother calling a professor on behalf of a student.

Whatever happened to becoming a independent thinker and philosopher at the university?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

it's known as "mothering" but in this poor boys case it's called smothering

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

University has turned into kindergarten
    Haven't they always been?

Yaba Daba! :m:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

What state is this in?

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

In a state of calamity...

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Depends on what university you go to. They all have different standards of admission. Some will admit anyone (kindergarteners): others only the academically best and most likely to succeed in life. Sciforum is supposed to be the intellectual community but, as a case in point, there's a lot of kindergartener's that frequent the posts.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

florida

11. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Well there's the problem....

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That's too easy.

I have also noticed a similar trend in europe that universities are being dumbed down. That's usually because the more students you have the more money you receive from the government. In order not to lose students and attract more of them exams and classes have been dumbed down.

I heard similar stories here.

Anyone hear anything different? Does anyone think that the level of universities went up? Or stayed the same?

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It's going down, steadily.

14. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

I'm curious now, which University? There's really only a couple here so chances are I'd know it.

-AntonK

15. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

haha, that's hilarious. At my university, my profs would probably tell my mom off for calling them and wasting their time. The only time I have had my parents call the university is when I was in the hospital on Morphine. I couldn't call out because it was technically a long-distance call. I think that is different though.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The one with the alligator.

17. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Ahh, out in the swamp

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-AntonK

18. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I am still hanging around at University here in Germany...thought it might be interesting and challenging compared to our schools (which should be know as being notoriously bad since the PISA-tests), but no, that is not the case. Of course, I cannot know how difficult it was years ago, but right now, it is ridiculous. Getting through there is about as much work as switching on and watching TV. Am I glad that it is nearly for free, 130 € half a year is not that much money after all.

19. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Haha. One time (at 14) I phoned a math professor to ask him a skill testing question for a contest I had won. Couldn't tell if he was amused/indignant.. which is probably how this guy felt.

In this case, the guy could have bypassed the requirement if he had spoken to the dean, by himself and made a strong case based on facts.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Now that you have recognised the problem, you are more than half way to the solution. I am sure you will make it.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Universities are like training centers for an imperfect system.
    How about training people to think in different ways so that they can improve the system?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yaba Daba! :m:

22. valich Registered Senior Member

One TA that I work with is from Florida State. She openly admits "I am gross" when we're dissecting. I agree that she is, but I am not.

23. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Well, that explains it.