Girlfriend=Best Friend?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lord_Tigersloth, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Lord_Tigersloth Registered Senior Member

I was discussing this today with my girlfriend, and I was wondering what other people think on it! I have my girlfriend and a best friend, but she was putting forward an idea that my girlfriend is my best friend... So what do you think? Do you need to be best friends with your partner? I mean, surely you need someone separate from them to whinge to about them

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. loki_ghost Registered Senior Member

i believe in ''soulmates'' which means sharing everything with that particular partner.

loki

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

If you have a genuine best friend that was around before you met your girlfriend and you share a history with this person, then there is no reason why your girlfriend should suddenly take over the rank of best friend as well.

As you say, you relate to your best friend on a different level and share common interests and history that your girlfriend probably can't match.

Friends do come and go and this might be true of your best friend and even of your girlfriend, only time will show. If you end up getting married to her, become very close and find that you don't need the emotional interaction of others, then indeed she might evolve to becoming your best friend.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. loki_ghost Registered Senior Member

it is possible to love many and have one partner. love isn't controllable but it's the way ''the sudden change of heart'' evolves. jealousy is triggering many problems in societies and controlling ''heartbreaking events''.

regards,

loki

8. Lord_Tigersloth Registered Senior Member

I was quite close friends with her before I started going out with this girl, but I wouldn't have called her my best friend, but by now she is. I was wondering more along the lines of what is the difference between your best friend and your partner if you think that there is one? I mean, it sounds a bit rough because I haven't quite worked it out and cannot quite explain, but surely if your best friend is your partner, then the one who comes in second is your best friend as your partner has a separate reference term?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  9. Lord_Tigersloth Registered Senior Member

Um...I am kind of missing the meaning of that, sorry...

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I didn't realise that your best friend is a girl! What is very strange is that your relationship with the girl has evolved into one of 'best friend', even as you already had the girlfriend.

I'm not saying that the situation is wrong, but it is unusual and I can see why you're girlfriend may be feeling alienated and possibly jealous. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your relationships with both women and decide who you really want to be with?

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Friends are just people you've yet to have sex with.

- N

12. Satyr Banned Banned

She’s placing your balls into a vice and daring you to squirm.

She declares herself your alpha and your omega.
    Your horizons taken over by her image, her control made complete, your submission to her ensured.
    No other influences upon you will be tolerated.

In the end your commitment is determined by how much you need her and by how much your life’s meaning and pleasure is reliant upon her.

All mental processes are guided, enhanced/subdued, by corporeal needs.
    The extent to which a need controls us, determines the extent to which we value ourselves through it and we establish our life’s meaning through it.

In our species, sex becomes a dominant response to our own looming demise, even if we mostly use it to distract ourselves from it.
    Our conscious or subconscious awareness of the inevitability of death makes anything that offers the illusion of survival and continuance, either through genetic replication or creative heritage, a fundamental part of our existence.

We, therefore, judge our lives and our value, through it.

In men, this phenomenon reaches an extreme, bordering on absurdity, where a male determines his own value through sexual exploits and symbolisms.
    In women, this phenomenon is not as extreme, since for them ‘getting laid’ is relatively easy. They determine their value through the quality of their reproduction and their social ties.

All the ingredients a woman needs are:
    A motive, a move, willingness, and the physical ability to spread her legs.

If the woman is undesirable or of lesser genetic stock the ingredients are revised to:
    A motive, a move, willingness, the physical ability to spread her legs and a bottle of alcohol.

In modern man the two phenomena have merged.

13. poliwog Registered Senior Member

It's okay to have multiple best friends in my opinion. Two of mine are girls, the third is my boyfriend.

14. Azzy42 Registered Senior Member

Its a completely different thing. A girl friend is someone you call when your in jail. Your best friend is the one sitting next to you in the cell saying "Man we fucked up!"
    If its soul mates then your girl is just a extension of yourself, your other half. A best friend is family!!

15. poliwog Registered Senior Member

Well, in my case we are all locked up. Who do you call then?

16. poliwog Registered Senior Member

Just a thought:
    If a best friend is "family", and your boyfriend is your best friend's cousin is that like inbreeding?

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

People do it both ways. It works both ways and it fails both ways. Some people are really drawn to friendships with the opposite sex and some people really are not, it has a lot to do with something as simple as that.

18. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

Of course they'd be your best friend. Well it's not like that all the time with some people. I mean when you fall in love with someone your love for each other is a lot stronger then anything you have with your friends. There's nothing wrong with having more then one best friend though.
    I think in every good relationship is a strong friendship.

19. Curious Registered Senior Member

The solution is to have a threesome with your girlfriend and your best friend and let the morning after sort it out.

20. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

Please tell me your kidding.