News is crap.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wesmorris, Dec 13, 2005.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

For instance, yesterday in my home town here, there was a bust of a "prostitution ring" at a "massage parlor".

My first reaction was "must have missed a payment". Next I thought "I wonder if the whorehouse down the street, who is better connected than they, set them up".

It is no freakin mystery as to what goes on in those places. The cops have always known about them and leave them alone until who knows what trips their trigger and they bust one for show.

(there are like 10 other parlors in town that have run for years and years and had no trouble with johnny law)

I don't really care about this issue, but well.. here's a sample of the article:

Columbia Tribune

*sigh*

What a freakin manipulation of appearances, shady deals and total horse-shit. The cops fucking knew, the folks goddamned knew, and they're all putting on a horse and pony show as if they didn't, right through the power of the local news.

I posit that all news is like this.

ALL OF IT is a crock of manipulated, concocted, twisted tripe... all twisted by the agenda of either the media outlet or players in the stories.

YET... it seems to me that we feed on this farce. We (as a society) find vidication in the triumph of law enforcement over these stealthy whores and their pimps who managed to hide under some unobservable rock until the authorities, along with the assistance of some patriotic citizens - made the wrong thing right.

What a freakin joke.

I should note, I'm not necessarily saying that there are nefarious intentions behind this deception. I don't really make that judgment. I'm just saying at all levels of the media, the crap is crappy and be as such to the level of between the least manipulative associated individuals to the most manipulative, and there's no means by having simply read the material to knww which is which.

Most of it is in the name of what someone thinks that people should think about them, manipulating appearances to the common denominator they see.

Discuss, bitches.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Suck dick, bitch. However, I agree with you. News is little more than propaganda nowadays. You know, kind of like it was during Nazi Germany.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

What's sad is that I don't see how it could be different, as it's the nature of the beast. Bizness skews towards profiteering, as it must. Thus, what we see is a reflection of what is percieved to be wanted. If news weren't so jazzy, it wouldn't sell so well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, I don't think "...it's the nature of the beast". I think if the news media simply told the truth of what's going on in the world, without any bias or political agenda, it would just as much "news" as it is now (only truthful!).

What we have now is competition between the various news agencies and media, so even if they don't know what the fuck is going on somewhere, they make up something .....and it's usually sensationalist so as to gain readership and/or viewership. That's not news, that's sensation, tabloid bullshit ....and we, the public don't hold them responsible for it.

After all of this time, and after all of the sensationalist accusations and allegations, tonight on NBC news, they had a piece on the inspections of the levees at NO. The Corps of Engineers, in fact, constructed the levees in accordance with the engineered and approved plans and specs.

But the sensational bullshit of a few months ago is all we'll remember ....because it was/is sensationalist! We, here at sciforums, thrive on sensationalism ...and almost every post, every thread is somewhat sensationalist in format. We've been brain-fuckin'-washed into thinking that if it's not sensationalist, then it's not news!!

Baron Max

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

But the problem with that Mr. Max, is that news is a business, and business lean toward profit. Apparently, unbiased news is less profitable than biased news. It doesn't take much thought to figure out why.

Hence, you're off. It IS the nature of the beast so long as it's business. It would be worse if it were governmental.

*shrug*

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

There is a distinction between major media and independent journalists who are in some cases (gasp) intellectuals and (shudder) academics. Many are primarily motivated by a sincere desire to penetrate misinformation and uncover truth.

It's easy to say "It's all Crap" about anything: Art, music, journalism, all are venues flooded with cheap popular imitations. But this out-of-hand criticism is sadly ignorant of the best. Seek out the excellent- it's not that hard in this age, and you could discover a world you never knew before.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Please explain, in detail, how one can know which news article if "excellent" and which is not? And if there's no quick, simple method to distinguish between the crap and the "excellent", then we're right back where we started .....reading crap!

Baron Max

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I tend to judge a news story by the sort of details they put in or leave out. For example, take this guy who recently killed his girlfriend's parents because of an argument about curfew. Although it had no bearing on the case, the news just had to make sure you knew she was home-schooled. It's no secret that the mainstream can't stand the idea of parents deciding that public schools suck, so the undertone is "If you home-school your kids, their lovers will come in and kill you later." If someone is killed in a car wreck and wasn't wearing their seatbelt, they parade it around like lacy underwear. If the deceased was properly buckled in, well, that's not important.

A little critical thinking and asking myself what the presenter of the story hopes to gain by the selection and organization of their words helps get me through the muck. It's like reverse-engineering propaganda.

12. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

That's a mighty big "If" though Baron. "If" only a man could be perfect. "If" only a woman could be perfect. Then the world wouldn't need some delusion that there is a perfect god.

Another big "if." According to you, wes, it's the nature of the news beasts to tell lies in order to make the biggest profit. Are these news beasts examples of your "excellent folks?" Or are the masses, who apparently demand the lies, examples of your "excellent folks?" (As taken from the "Personality Changes" thread.) One could almost assume that you think it is the nature of the human beast to tell lies, spread propaganda, and be basically, shit, in order to make a buck or two. Watch what you think or say, wes. Be verry, verry careful or you too might have someone tell you that "Your perspective is horrendously skewed."

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

A very simplistic perspective. Lies eh? I don't think the news necessarily lies per se, but skews the information they obtain to the perspective they think will make them the most money. A business has to make money. They want to grow. They are generally bound by their corporate status to try and increase the value of their stock. This is their mandate. If saying something in a different way, which is misleading but not a direct lie exactly... makes them more money... how can they not do it? The executives directly responsible for increasing stock value must by their mandate do what they can to make this happen.

But consider the article I provided as an example. If one were not savvy, it would perhaps seem correct. One wouldn't realize that the people who were arrested weren't doing much different that what seems to be allowed in various other establishments near the one that was busted.

Bah. I'm just saying that this must be true of most available information. What IS, is not really quite what is written. There are generally elements crucial to understanding the big picture that are simply lacking. It sells better if these people are villified. That way we have someone to whom we can point and bolster our self-image through the apparent destruction of other and are provided a bullshit sense of security that "this isn't going on anymore" when that's simply untrue.

I do not know them personally, so how would I know? I wouldn't say that what they do as reporters necessarily makes them "shit". They have circumstances that require them to perform as they do, just like anyone else. People who are shit senslessly torture cats and such because they get a kick from it.

Excellent folks, IMO, are generally people who love their children, "do the right thing" as they see it, and try to be generally helpfull to the people they encounter during life. Something to that effect. Now, give that I don't know the entirety of "the masses", I don't know if they are "excellent folks". I would estimate based on my experience however, that there are indeed, plenty of excellent folks out there in the masses. That they demand lies is simply reflective of their humanity.. their need for security and re-enforcement of their values. I don't think they are shit because they are human, as you've expressed must be true.

If you think that is necessarily shit, then yes..

Why do people lie though? Why do they spread propaganda? Is it always bad? Bad to whom? What is propaganda? What is shit?

IMO, I don't think that stuff is necessarily shit. For instance, lies to save feelings - though I don't like it, don't mean the person lying is shit. Propaganda to save lives, that's not shit. Propaganda to sell stuff, that's fair and unshitty, unless it's lies (propaganda obviously isn't necessarily a lie, but lies in the shady area of skewed information).

IMO, the stuff above is analogous to the fact that everyone has to shit. Therefore, there is a shitty component to all people, but that does not at all substantiate relegating their entire function to just that. While they shit, perhaps they have and epiphany regarding making shitting more comfortable for everyone. That's a beautiful shit right there.

Oh, and making a buck or two is important. Try not making any bucks. Basically as far as I see it, making a buck or two vs. not making a buck or two is basically analagous to the hunter coming home with a dead rabbit to cook, or nothing so his family starves.

No, I don't. I can handle it if someone decides to say that to me. If they do however, I'll probably know already that they don't know shit.. because I know me better than they do, most likely. I might ask what they mean by horrendously. My perspective is definately skewed however, as everyone's to their experience.

Everyone's perspective is highly skewed, it's just that YOURs is horrendously skewed, by that I mean, skewed toward the horrendous. You see shit. That seems to be all you're able to see. To me you see what you look for. When your premise is that people are shit, you'll see shit everywhere. IMO, you do yourself a great disservice by this premise. I think you should try going with a new premise for a while: everyone is awesome. I don't mean you should stick with it, but I mean you should try to see how you can justify it through your eyes. ultimately you shouldn't think people are great or shit, because each of us is somewhere in between in a thousand different ways.

14. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You could be right wes. Humans are probably not all shit. There are probably some pretty awesome fuckers out there. I stand corrected. Are you afraid to tell me the "worst" thing you have ever done? (In the vein of "I have tortured and killed several cats.") Have you the desire? The need? The balls? Don't worry about what others think. Don't worry about your image. Don't worry about losing something. Don't PM me. Put it here. Or don't. I'm sure I will be amazed, either way.

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I've never done anything in the vein of killing several cats. *shrug*

Oh, one time I accidentally killed a dog when I was like 12. I cried like a little bitch about it for hours. I loved that dog. I accidentally dropped a stack of newspapers on his skull in the dark and crushed it. Felt like shit about it.

I've simply never had the want to torture an animal.

I did take a dog to the pound for immediate execution if that counts. I was hoping someone would take him. He was an asshole of a dog. He nipped at my kids, shit all over my house, etc. I hated that dog. I didn't want to kill him really, I just wanted him away from me and the family. Took him to the pound and he nipped at them too so they killed him right away. Someone else had him for like the first 8 months of his life, so he was pre-fucked up. I didn't really feel terrible about taking him to the pound... a little, but it didn't deeply bother me.

The worst thing I did besides that was take advantage of a drunk girl one time. I did it intentionally to see what the dark side was like. Didn't find any thrills there really, so didn't go back.

I have spanked my oldest daughter out of anger a few times when she was younger. I probably smacked her little bottom harder than I should have.

Hmm.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Perhaps you'd think differently of what I've done that is bad, I dunno. I'm sure however, given your perspective, that I must have done something far shittier than the above, but I don't see shit like you do so maybe I don't recognize it.

Oh I think once when I was like 11 I chased my sister around the house with a knife. I wouldn't have hurt her in a million years with it, but was doing it because it shocked me that she thought I might. It was pretty dumb of me. I did feel bad about it and tried to console her afterward I think. It's been a long time.

16. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

How very manly of you by the way, to ask if I'm "afraid to tell you". Why would I have the need to tell you? I'll tell you because you asked and I don't have a real problem telling. It hasn't shit to do with fear, balls or what others think.

Oh and when I was like 8 I used to help a friend steal cigarettes from the grocery store sometimes.

17. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

No, I don't think that you "must have" done anything far shittier than what you have mentioned. Nor do I think that everyone is as bad as myself, or that I am the worst that there is. Nor do I know if you have been totally honest with me. Only you know that. Just curious to know what you have done that has hurt yourself, if anything. To me, this is more meaningful than following paths that have been traveled over and over again throughout history, like saying that news is crap. Though I agree with that. It's just not the heart of the matter, imo.

As far as the taking advantage of a drunk girl, SHAME, SHAME. I've done that too, though for some reason that worked out for me and her. We became good friends in the army. We were both lieutenants and served together in Somalia. One time I remember NOT taking advantage of a drunk girl. I took her home, changed her clothes, put her to bed and fell asleep next to her. She ended up falling in love with me, she said, because of that. We got married and it ended two years later on a sour note. Life is weird.

18. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

How very manly of you to say so.

Man, you sound a bit like a goody-two-shoes. You sure those are the worst things you have ever done? Don't be afraid, just tell me. If you will be completely honest with me, maybe you will save me from myself.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Yeah what I did was particularly evil IMO, and I did so by choice like I said.

Me and a bro were shooting pool and pretty drunk and high. Don't remember how these two chicks came up to us, but they did. They were both hammered too and we were having fun. When it was time to go home, he drove one and I the other. I took the one to her home and went to my bro's house for after bar smokage. He said on the way driving the other chick home she'd went down on him. He said she'd asked him to come back later, that she'd leave the door open for him. She did leave the door open. I asked if he was going over. He said "nah", and then between the two of us, I decided I was going if he wasn't.

I went over there and the door was open. I went in, she was in bed asleep. I just stood over her, scared, thinking the moment she asked me to leave or anything negative I was running the hell out of there. I busted it out and put it in her face and she opened up and got busy. A while later we were naked, etc. etc. I left when it was over.

I didn't even know her name, haven't seen her since.

I really don't feel terrible about it, but wouldn't do somethign like that again as I explained above. I think it was an evil act and I found no thrill in the evil of it. The sex was okay and stuff, but it wasn't worth the evil... so...

Not proud of it at all, not particularly ashamed, just a smidge... but regardless.. it happened.

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Unless I've blocked something horrible out of my memory, those are the worst things I can think of. I'm no "goody two-shoes", I just don't like hurting things. I've always had a strong empathic streak.

21. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You'd probably find it weird to think that I feel I have a strong empathic quality too. I never said I didn't hurt (and a lot) after doing the things I did to those cats. I usually cried afterwards. I couldn't stop doing it though. For some reason, there was a thrill to it for me. An addiction. Extreme narcissism. I still don't understand it. It has taken me 35 years to get to a point where I feel safer around cats, though I still don't trust myself. I don't much like myself these days, but I've learned to live with that. The funny thing is, cat's loved me. At least at first. I loved them too. I don't like hurting things either. At the same time, I do. Some form of split personality? Or just a personality split?

P.S. Tell me to shut up and we can get back on topic, if you like.

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You do a good job of burying it, but I don't find it shocking.

I remember you saying that. I don't doubt you.

I wish I could say I do, but I don't really. I might were I to know you better... but uh... this is the net and stuff.

Yeah that's harsh man. Hope you get past it, seriously.

Just do something worth liking, like for instance working on your perspective as I suggested above... or something, anything that you find worthy of real respect.

I dunno, sounds like a power thing to me, control maybe... like I say I don't know you well enough to provide a solid analysis. I'm really fucking good at it though, when I do know people... at least as far as I can tell.

Meh, I don't mind sidebars.

23. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Well, thanks for taking the time, wes. I don't know what I am doing. Seems like every other day I start talking about the bad I have done in my life. I don't think I am looking for sympathy, or a reason to live, or anything related to that. I just want to understand. Why I have done the things I have done in my life. Why others do the things they do. Goddamn, I am just sick of the same ole shit day after day, minute after minute. No answers. No big picture. Endless searching. Pushing the boundaries the only way I know how. Always wondering. Sappy shit.

Where did "meh" come from? Is that a regional thing? I have never seen it used so much as here at sciforums. You, invert-nexus, me even at times. Others.

Do you wonder if I have done even worse shit in my life than torturing and killing cats? I've wondered if some of you wonder, but were hesitant to ask, since you continually seem to forgive me and keep talking to me after I act like a complete ass. Or are you a little like me in that you get tired of the fighting, the name-calling, the macho head games? Why am I not on your ignore list is what I would like to know? For me, I can't put people on ignore because I am just too curious about what they might say about me.

Wes, I've always liked you (though that is probably not very comforting now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). You seem to be "right on" on so many topics. Why do you like life? What is so appealling about it to you? You will probably say that you love your wife, or your little girls, or your job. If you lost all of that, what do you think would keep you going? If you lost all hope, all desire, all motivation, what do you think would keep you going?

Sorry for the disjointed nature of my prose, but I am tired and depressed.

P.S. Yes, with the cats, it was definitely a control thing. But where does that need to control, to dominate, come from? Ah, don't worry about it. I don't think there is a good answer. Even if there is, and I've thought I've had several good ones at times, they don't seem to help.