Do you believe in Darwinism?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by archibring, Dec 12, 2005.

1. archibring Registered Member

where does human originate from?
    monkey?
    or creature from outer space?
    what do you think of Darwinism?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ReighnStorm The Smoke that Thunders Registered Senior Member

I believe that the Anu does in fact, exists. I believe in the monkey/alien factor. Were all alien anyway!? I don't believe in everything Darwinism stands/stood for.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Humans evolved along with every other life form on Earth.

Humans are not descended from monkeys, but monkeys and humans share a common ancestor.

Maybe life on Earth came from outer space, but that only pushes the question back a bit further. Where did the alien life come from?

As for Darwinism, if you're referring to the modern sythesis of evolutionary theory, somebody very smart once said that nothing in biology makes any sense except in the light of evolutionary ideas. I agree with him.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. archibring Registered Member

yes, everything has origin, including alien life. but does it really that things come from others by evolution? without evolution, can not life occur? our thought has been confined to the logic that everything has a reason. things without reason don`t exist.
    Are all these true for the world in present? maybe we should change our logic. maybe we just exist without any reason.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Well that would rather ignore the vast interconnected causative relationships established through studies in genetics, cladistics, comparative anatomy, biochemistry, biology, micro-biology, organic chemistry, palaeontology and the like. There is a difference between 'reason' and 'purpose'.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The evidence stares us in the face like a giant billboard.
    At some point, the volcano god will be a volcano and we'll stop throwing in sacraficial virgins to make it happy.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

'The term "Darwinism" is most commonly used by creationists as a somewhat derogatory term for "evolutionary biology". Casting evolution as an "ism" -- a doctrine or belief -- is used to strengthen calls for "equal time" for other beliefs such as creationism.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinism

the question is therefore already loaded before an (loaded) answer is given.

11. mountainhare Banned Banned

James R:
    Somebody = Theodosius (aka. Theodore) Dobzhansky

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yeah, him. Thanks.

13. mountainhare Banned Banned

Heheh, admit it James, I am superior. You may address me as 'Your eminence' from now on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. archibring Registered Member

yes, Ophiolite. you are right in some aspects. the interconnected causative relationships is important for out present knowledge. i admit it. but i just want to know what the world should be and what the system of knowledge should be if we discarded the causal logic? maybe it would bring us something important and help us unveil the secret of life, would not it?

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Humans are apes and apes are descended from monkeys. Not any of the modern species of monkeys that are alive today, but older extinct species that were nonetheless true monkeys. The first apes branched off from the other primates about 20 million years ago.

Humans are most closely related to chimpanzees. Both species branched off from a common ancestor, a true ape, less than 10 million years ago.

The earliest primates go back about 65 million years. I don't think the computer analysis of DNA comparisons is complete, but it looks like the primates evolved from sloths, and the sloths evolved from shrews. Shrews are the first rodents that were able to climb trees, and they popped up shortly after the first fruit-bearing trees appeared, giving animals a reason to want to climb trees.

Our intense love of fruit, compared to most mammals, is one of first things that distinguished us from the other mammals.

16. mountainhare Banned Banned

No. Wrong. Humans are apes. Apes are not descended from monkeys.

17. Perhaps I'm reading this entirely incorrectly, but you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the idea of evolution encompasses some form of fundamental belief - it doesn't. It's a process. More accurately, an observation of a process that remains ongoing. Asking the question "without evolution, can not life occur?" misses the point entirely regarding the process itself which remains that of, fundamentally speaking, biological survival.

Evolutionary Theory doesn't offer reasons why we exist, it certainly doesn't dictate that a species like our own necessarily should exist - only that, in existing at all, that existence came about as part of an ongoing process universal to all life as we understand it.

Evolution dictates no purpose, no onset, no definite goal. What happens does.

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Precisely. Monkeys are similar to apes, but have tails, but they are both primates. Humans are primates, and are apes, but we are not monkeys.

19. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Given your premise that would be a reasonable conclusion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~Raithere

20. Welshlad!! Registered Member

I believe in Darwinism

21. archibring Registered Member

thank you, Mr Anonymous! you remind me.it is right that evolutionary theory is not the reason of life, it is just an explain. we could explain our world by many theories. the theory of evolution is just one of them, and is not the only one.

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That's true, but I think that in modern times the term Darwinism has taken on a life of its own. To me, it signifies not so much acceptance of evolutionary theory, but rather of philosophical positions relating to the absense of god, purposelessness of existence, etc. Which is certainly what pisses off the evangelists...

23. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

I belive your welsh!