Is C++ obsolete?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Greg Bernhardt, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

With Java becoming very popular and C# on the rise, how soon will C++ become obsolete?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

physicsforums.com ...

Considering that a lot of the older languages, Cobalt, Fortran, ADA, and naturally Basic, even Lego if I'm not mistaken, are still around. I would imagine it will be a while.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Very soon, I hope.

The thing is, new programmers coming out of university programs are no longer being trained in C++. At least at my university, Java is the language of choice for most development, largely because of the benefits of the platform independence and the OO paradigm it embraces. In fact, in the first 4 years of classes, I learnt more Scheme than C++. I now hear that the C-based 1st and 2nd year courses are now being done in Java (though, that's not too significant since those courses usually involved assignments of < 50 lines of code and are a mere introduction to procedural programming).

In the programming area I'm involved in -- namely Mac / open source -- the C language is still in wide use. In fact, C is a very elegant language. It's interesting that the lifespan of C will probably be longer than that of C++.

I predict C# and Objective-C (a different OO-extension of C based on Smalltalk) will become the primary development languages on Windows and Mac respectively.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

With the exception of Basic (which is technically a scripting language), is any new development being done in those languages? I'd argue that the relevance of a language is more related to new development as opposed to maintenance of existing code.

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

ADA ...

Do believe there is still new development going on in ADA,
    but I may be wrong.

Have a good one, Dave...

9. kmguru Staff Member

We have a very large VSAM/COBOL/CICS system that we are ready to replace. I have not decided if I will go for J2EE or go for Forth or use one of the Websphere types. I am still reviewing. I am looking for a very high volume and high speed transaction with a mirrored synched database for house keeping...

I would like to keep the main frame but may be go for a Linux box. Any suggestions?

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

Our ehm ehm...Ms-Windows series is all programmed in C++.so the extinction depends upon Microsoft.

C will NOTdegrade and become extinct.most of the network programming,like routing algorithms are implemented in C,Linux is based upon C.C is a greeeat language,it is very flexble and all purpose,except that it is not OOPS .

bye!

11. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

i've just picked up a C# book, i hope it become popular like wildfire

12. kmguru Staff Member

My speculation is what MS is trying to do is add some Java type functionality to C#. But most importantly, they are trying to add a communication layer such that it will be easier to read an web page from the program itself and communicate single transactions within an internet app including the database similar to communication between Office apps through a .Net architecture.

I could be wrong...we could be years off to get there...

13. Jay Renalsds Registered Member

What to use!?

I'm interested in programming and don't know what language to pick. I started c++ but im no longer sure if it is the language for me. I did research on the web and didn't find anything particularly useful. I plan to program software applications and I'm looking for a powerful, not necessarily easy to use language. All my sources say c++ is the best choice but none of them had anything about c# or java.

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

Jay,

My Opinion:start with C...no i am not crazy to tell you this,but when you start and do it thouroughly you"ll equipped to program OS,write TSRs,viruses,make Dbases(large ones).not only this but you can also write network algorithms,write code in assembly language!!!!Linux is designed in C today,all those stupid routers and firewalls(most of them)get their brains from C,c is most comprehensive language to be ever made and yet i dont know why many people call it primitive...choice is completely yours...

bye!

15. kmguru Staff Member

I agree with Zion, if you are good in C++, you can do it with any new language comes along. Mind you, any new language will be higher up from assembly level.

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

But remember...

concepts are more important,once you grasp BASIC concepts of C,all you"ll need is a little creativity and SDLC knowledge...and then you"ll become LINUS TORVALDS one day,with your own OS called JAIUX...

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

JAVA Hole

There's a bit of problem with JAVA...(which is why I think CGI scripts may be a better solution)JAVA scripts are downloaded and they run on client machine instead of running on hosts,so it gives a bit of insecurity...

bye!

18. kmguru Staff Member

Yes, that is only true for Java Script but not for Java as in J2EE (I think).

19. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Well, there are 3 separate Java 'scripts' used in web design:

1) JavaScript - this is not at all related to Java, but was just used as a marketing term by Netscape. It's now known as JScript or ECMAScript. This is a pseudo-standard adopted by browser software that allows simple scripting of the browser by embedding the scripts in HTML.

2) Java applets. I think this is what you are referring to. The compiled binary code of the applet is downloaded over the network to the client computer where it is run. However, the security issue isn't there, since the applet is run within a secure execution space that limits destructive access to the local computer (eg. file access, forking of new processes, etc.).

3) You hint at CGI, but neither 1 nor 2 are relevant for CGI scripts. CGI scripting is done at the server side during the HTML-generation stage. Very often the client has no idea if its receiving dynamic or static content. Here Java is also useful. CGI executables can be written in Java and are run on the server side. Of course, CGI executables can be written in any other language since they are just programs that run on the server.

20. sachin Registered Member

C is never gonna be phased out of the IT sector. it is a very flexible language & having very strong foundations in C is gonna help the developers.

21. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

ADA ...

Able to confirm: New development going on in ADA.

Source may not be cited.

Take care.

22. Weitzel Simon Fraser University Registered Senior Member

Porfiry wrote:
    Scheme, Porfiry? You must be at UBC.

It's true that they're teaching Java for 1st and 2nd year courses now (at least in our area of the world) but I agree with Chagur: C++ will be around for a while yet.

23. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Weitzel ...

Credit where credit is due: Zion (re.C++)

I'm still hooked on BASIC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.