Where would you invest a million pounds?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by tablariddim, Dec 1, 2005.

1. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Say you had 1000000 pounds to invest for capital growth over 3-5 years; where would you put it and how would you diversify your investment for max growth and safety?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

20 % India all sectors
    20 % south east asia all sectors
    14% Latin America all sectors
    13% oil reserves and exploration
    13% Europe, Japan, and USA stodgy reliable corporations making products and services that will sell even in bad times. This is for safety in case my thinking is wrong.
    10% rest of the world all sectors.
    10% cutting edge high risK, maybe bio tech, Maybe alternative energy. 10% is a hundred thousand, make ten separate ten thousand pound plays in different small companies doing different kinds of things. At least five of your ten high risk plays should be complete failures. Your trying to win the lottery here. You want something that might work and if it works the little company will become a very rich company. Something that could be as revolutionary as the personel computer was.

For safety you need diversification.

In general the biggest incorrectness in pricing that I see, and therefore the biggest opportunities is that the currencies of the devoloped nations are too high relative to the currencies of developing nations.

I would go for China if it was playing by the same rules as the rest of the world but I think investing in China might have complications. Much of Africa still seems to unstable to invest in despite the attractive potential for growth. If Congo ever got a stable trustworthy government you would want to invest in mining there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, if I had a million pounds or dollars to invest, I sure as hell wouldn't come to an Internet forum like sciforums to ask for financial advice!! THAT is your first big-assed mistake!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Your right Baron Max, The only thing stupider than asking us at Sciforums would asking a stock broker at a full service stock brokerage like Smith Barney for advice.

I would not take my own advice. In fact other than India and the oil, I did not even follow my own advice. Even on the oil, I have Chevron when I would rather have purer oil field and exploration companies. Tablariddim don't folow my advice. I own nothing in South East Asial and don't know that it merits 20% of your portfolio. I just know that I have enough in India and now want to put money into something comparable to India but maybe with better natural resources.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

...LOL! I agree!

I played the stock market for years and actually did pretty damned well. But it was practically a full-time job doing the research, not to mention agonizing over the buy or sell order. After much research, I gravitated to being a "bottom feeder" and, if the research was accurate and up-to-date, I actually made the most money by buying companies that had dropped drastically for some "unknown" reason ...they almost always bounced back -- and I made a good profit.

But it's education and research, and worse, it never stops! I hated it, even while I "enjoyed" doing it. I keep my money now in coffee cans buried out in the yard!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

When you are prudent with money, you're always thinking inside the box and always playing it safe and easy. I'm not about to take anyone's advice at face value, but putting out feeders like this could inspire some different ideas that possibly I would never have thought of, it's then, that I do my serious research.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If ye're into special places to gamble with your money, then check with the US Patent Office ....find a patent that you think will revolutionize the world, find the inventor, buy or go into partnership with him, build the device, then wait for the money to roll in.

Baron Max

11. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

Have you come into some money tablariddim?

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Congratulations - You have just won a free trip to Hawaii but must pay your own way there to pick up the refund check, the free car, hotel coupons, etc.

Just tell me where you live and when you are leaving for your trip and I will have it all waiting for you.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Should I also provide a handy little map of the locations of all my little coffee cans full of money? And do you need me to give you my SS#, all my credit card numbers and such pertinent data? Just tell me what you need or want, and I'll see you in Hawaii soon!

Baron Max

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No - just leave a shovel in the garage. I have my own metal detector. Enjoy the surf.

15. river-wind Valued Senior Member

i'd say buy a place to live, and invest the rest in ~5% return low-risk areas. Then retire and live off the interest. Of course, counting for inflation (roughly 3.3% annually in the US), you won't have tons of cash flying around, but you also won't have to work ever again.

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

That is a very sensible suggestion river-wind.. rental properties and land are very good investments.