Planet viewing now!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Hevene, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Hevene Registered Senior Member

I heard from my teacher that you could view Mars, Jupiter etc. near Christmas time, but couldn't remember the exact date. All I know that you can see it just right beneath the moon around 10pm Sydney time. I think Mars is on 20th, Jupiter 24th and one on 28th, but I wasn't sure about the date. Does anyone know about this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

The planets are indeed easy to find around christmas this year:

-on december the 20th the moon will only be 5 degrees separated from mars, so mars will be the bright 'spot' next to the moon, best view on 21:00 Universal time (sorry, don't know local time in australia) Mars will be in constellation aquarius.
    (we are to late for this event now....but you could give it try)

-On December the 28th, There is a conjunction of saturn with the moon, but I don't think you'll be able to see it in Australie, (it will be perfectly visible in the states btw), this will be around 8:00 universal time.
    Try to watch the moon around this time, and you'll easily find saturn, just search for the brightest spot in that area.
    Saturn will be in the constellation taurus.

-Then finally, on December, 16:00 Universal time, there is a conjunction of Jupiter with the moon, like I said with saturn, just watch the moon the night before or after, and find the brightest spot in that area (Jupiter will be the brightest spot of the whole nightsky)
    The moon and Jupiter will be in constellation Gemini.

Pls note that all times are in Universal time, that's the (winter)time in Greenwich, Great Britain.
    Also note that the times of certain events aren't exactly the same in Australie, I took them from my astronomy guide, and that's made for The netherlands.......
    But once you've found them, it won't be difficult to find the planets after these dates.

GOOD LUCK! Take your binoculairs with you btw, if you have one, then you can also see Jupiters moons.....!!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I have been viewing Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn for that last 2 months! Then again, I don't live in australia. I live in Cleveland, Ohio USA.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

later

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Thanks, unfortunatly, I missed Mars due to the heavy weather

, but I'll try the rest.