Cost overrun's

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by alexb123, Nov 11, 2005.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

The new UK National Stadium is expected to overrun its costs by 75 Million Pounds ($150 M). It seems every major project in the UK ends up having a massive overrun, is this the same in the rest of the world? Also how can these people get it so wrong, so often?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

tea breaks,lots and lots of tea breaks.also the fees that businesses charge each other in england are ridiculous,and if its a government project they're gonna go to town on the costs

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I worked for years in the construction industry, and I can tell you that almost every single project that I worked on was CHANGED DURING CONSTRUCTION by those in charge of the design or "politicians" wanting something more (and hoping to pay nothing for it!).

Another issue that causes major overruns is the poorly designed, poorly thought-out project. After the contracts had been signed, someone somewhere would spot mistakes or ommissions ....then tried to fix it by fuckin' over the contractor!! I.e., to get something for nothing. Contractors are a lot smarter than people think they are. Contractors also don't like to get into the "shit-slinging" game, so they just smile and keep working.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shifty Russian International Man of Mystery Registered Senior Member

I've worked in the construction industry also for a number of years...

Many(most) of the people that are in the industry are meat-head idiots. Many of the Developers/Foremen are arrogant money grabbing bastards, that actually have little appreciation for doing things right... quite often this train of throught... is carried through to the labourers, who have little to no passion/appreciation about what they're doing. This leads to poor workmenship. Poor workmanship doesn't affect one part of the project... It can spread to the rest of the project like Dominos... Making the project go over budget very easily.

For example. A friend of mine had a brand new appartment made, the plumbers screwed up the connection on the toilet... Causing it flood. The foreman just socked up the water and said it was a spill... It happened again... and spilled onto the expensive parquetry outside the bathroom. The parquetry then had to be removed and redone. The leak was sealed with silicon. The water built up underneither the toilet ceramics and soaked into the cement bed... Which than made the marbel in the bathroom CHANCE COLOR!

This type of stupidity/incompitence, ability to think logically and avoid future problems is rampant all over the world...

- Shifty Russian
    www.SexSlash.com.au ...Crazy Sex News Stories!!