Where do the most massive stars form?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Dec 18, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sharpless 212 in Hydrogen and Sulfur
    Credit & Copyright: Lise Deharveng (Universite de Provence) et al., CNRS, OHP
    Where do the most massive stars form? Observational evidence indicates that the outskirts of developing open clusters of stars are primary locations. Pictured above is one such open cluster: Sharpless 212. Visible in the image center are massive stars in the open cluster. The energetic light from these stars ionizes surrounding hydrogen atoms creating an HII region. As the hydrogen atoms re-acquire electrons, they emit the red light highlighted. Sharpless 212 also contains small amounts of dust and heavy atoms such as Sulfur. The dust efficiently absorbs light, while emission from Sulfur is highlighted in blue. Particularly striking and well-defined boundaries that separate the ionized material from surrounding neutral material are visible at the edge of the HII region. Sharpless 212 spans about 20 light years and lies about 25,000 light years away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rigelsir00 Registered Member

I THINK THEY FORMED IN THE EARLY UNIVERESE(MAYBE 100 MILLION YEARS AFTER THE BB)AND ONE FACTOR WAS THE LACK OF MATALS.THE STAR WOULD HAVE TO BE HOTTER AND MORE COMPACT TO PRODUCE ENOUGH ENERGY TO COUNTERACT GRAVITY.THEREFORE THEIR 'JEAN MASS' WOULD HAVE TO BE LARGER.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I guess the point of the pic was to say that those stars still form. Even today and that the most likely place to find them is in the star forming region of open clusters.

You do bring good info on the early part of the forming universe. Being as there were no early supernovea to start with the area would have been metal poor. There are now speculations that dark matter heped form the early stars by supplying gravational force to begin the attraction of mass in the initial stages of star formation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rigelsir00 Registered Member

SORRY.I DIDNT MEAN TO.

8. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Latest Hubble images show a region of stars less than or about 10,000 years old! Here's a nursery image released yesterday of the "Ghosthead Nebula" - After the "face on Mars" I presume some will claim this as the "face of god!"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Thanx for the pic, Red Devil. I had not seen that one yet.

10. Brainz0 Registered Senior Member

Face

Don't you see the pointy ears? Obviously, it's the Face of DOG !!