Destruction of Conglomerates

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by lixluke, Nov 9, 2005.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Would the world be better off if we destroyed the large rich profit mongering conglomerates?

Yahoo, Exxon, General Electric, General Motors, Citigroup, Bank of America, AOL, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Coca Cola, Nike, AT&T, McDonald's, Nike, 7-11, Pfizer, Chevrolet, Ebay, Nestle, Verizon, Lockheed, Hilton, Dell, Sony, Phillip Morris, Walt Disney, Visa, the list goes on and on.

Hundreds of conglomerates around the world destroying the world. Car companies, computer companies, food companies, apparel companies, banks, industrial companies, media companies. They are all the rich. They are all enemies.

Would anybody know how we would go about taking these huge empires down?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You are determined to destroy my retirement funds, millions of jobs and the life style that the West has chosen to live? OK. The task is very simple. Persuade consumers to stop buying the goods and services provided by these companies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Registered Senior Member

Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!

And since over half the country is going to be unemployed, are YOU going to feed everyone and pay their bills??????????????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Isn't it strange what people who don't know, can say or suggest??? ...LOL!

And worse, what they can say/ask such questions without giving it any thought on their own?

Baron Max

8. Light Registered Senior Member

How true!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And giving thought to something is a whole lot more effort than many seem to want to expend.

9. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

NO, they should not be destroyed but,........

They should be kept out of politics.

They must not be allowed to become monopolies in industries that don't need to be monopolies. They should not be allowed to collude as US oil refiners are to keep supply low. We could use another Teddy Roosevelt now.

They should not be allowed to write contracts that controll the prices that their suppliers sell to their smaller competitors at. Volume discounts given by suppliers should not be in excess of the benefits gained by efficiencies of scale. Otherwise better run small companies can fail to outcompete worse run large companies simply because of unfair supplier contracts.

They should not be allowed to pollute more than at the level of pollution to productivity that society deems to be acceptable.

They should not be given tax breaks not available to smaller companies.

They should not be reckless with their employees and customers health. For example, when a company discovers asbestos is dangerous they should publish their findings and quickly phase out the harmfull use of asbestos. Some efort needs to be made to look for health hazards rather than just waiting until the health hazards make themself obvious.

If GE did not play political games, then there would be no particular benefit or harm to the economy or GE stockholders for GE to be as large as it is. You could cut GE into two huge corporations without having an impact on the economy or stockholders. If GE's size is making people nervous then maybe GE should be split in half. Teddy Roosevelt would have already busted up Microsoft by now. A bust up of Microsoft would probably be good for the economy.

Maybe we should crack down on the publishers womans magazines and any other corporations that make money by making people feel inadequate and then trying to peddle fixes for the manufactured inadequacy.

What ever is good for the economy is probably good for human happyness. Whatever is good for human happyness is probably what should be done. Let the cororations do their thing as long as they play by the rules and benefit the economy.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Big business corporations are not beneficial to the economy. They are the enemy. Shouldn't we be doing something about taking them out?
    Perhaps if we all got together, and blow up thier offices and plants.
    Would that work?

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Just because you work for them does not mean they are not your enemy. Have you never heard about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

I agree with nikakar wholeheartedly bout keeping them out of politics. So many times has government overlooked the needs of the individual for the sake of supporting the needs of the business.

12. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

If big business went down, we would have to revert back to a very localized set of economies. Mostly agrarian, with very little trade outside of state boundaries. Long distance transport is too tedious and expensive for anything besides big business and govenment to handle.

Ok. Kill the oil and other fossil fuel industries because only big companies can afford the costs involved with the extraction and shipping of that stuff. Kill off anything that runs on that stuff. Abandon just about anything that can't be grown or produced locally. This means luxuries like most fruit, coffee, tea, etc. Stop almost all organized research because only big business can afford to do the real work in that field. No new medicines, most things don't improve anymore. Kill all factories above the cottage industry range.

And suddenly we are reduced to an agrarian, generally impoverished existence.

13. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Hah, someone has been sleeping through economics class. Taking out big business is putting the final nail in the coffin for poverty. Big business creates many things apart from jobs, they regulate commerce, prices, and provide general stability. Also wealth is synonym for inflation and a little inflation is needed to curb underproduction. There is always going to be a wealthy organization in a capitalist system, or best just get rid of capitalist all together. That is in fact the premise of capitalism. It will be chaos, just imagine everybody in your family equaly rich, nobody will do the peripheral jobs and respect for anyone will be out the door. Also imagine if microsoft wasn't this rich, computer software prices will be sky high. Estalishing quotas on the amount of wealth is what we need; a sort of communism. We cannot completely throw communism out the door, we need to reform it and implement these type of measures. But hey man never establishes an eco-social balance with nature so who am I to say he will do the same to his own kind just yet.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Irrelevant. It's not my fault that many of the going theories today about economics are nothing more than pseudoscience that will probably (or hopefully) cease to exist in the far future.

The big businesses are weilding power and control the same way a baby infant weilds a gun or a knife. People get hurt.

If we all stop spporting them, and retaliate, we can put a stop to them.

15. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

To me big business means capitalism so I think it is capitalism we should be after. But to honest big business keeps prices low or we may heavily subsidize by the government, which is leaning towards communism, either way the savings have got to come from some where. Look at walmart can you get anything cheaper from a department store? I hate big business myself in the sense that they make life boring; every where you go now its the same old starbucks and subway. Its insane I tell you.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It does not mean they are not the enemy.
    Big businesses hinder social economic progress. It is not fair, and should not be allowed to continue.
    Big business means capitalism, and therefore we should pursue capitalism?
    It does not make sense.
    Anyody interested in protecting the earth and humanity would be best to know who to protect from. The enemy. Corporations. Incompetent governments such as the United States.
    We really must discontinue allowing them to get away with their tormenting.

The docile always mention how the corporations provide them with jobs. It is the docile fool of a slave that thanks the master for providing him with work so the measter doesn't have to do it. They have no right. But they sure do have the might. This is why we must be resilient. Because their might is something that gives them an upperhand. We must be wise so that we can find an upper hand to work with against them.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Cool Skill, you need to do some more, a lot more, thinking about this topic. It's obvious to the most casual reader that you don't know jack-shit about how the economy works or how businesses operate. You've lumped everyone, every business, every businessman, into one horrid, vicious, nasty, mean group ....and that's not different to racism or bigotry.

Please, study and think a bit more about the topic before you rant and rave about how horrid something is.

Baron Max

18. Light Registered Senior Member

Just let this one go, people. It's obviously one of two things - either just a troll or someone incredibly undereducated.

I tend to think it's the first one because it's difficult to see how anyone could be so naive.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Ad hom.
    Irrelevant.

You have yet to provide a relevant counter or position.
    Do you believe corporations and the rich are friends of humanity and the earth?

There is a difference between providing somebody with jobs that ultimately allow me to profit than actually helping people.
    You are not helping a person by making him work for your profit.
    You are helping a person by providing them with needs. Food, shelter, education, medicine, supplies etc.

The rich do nothing but exhaust resources. All this money gives them alot of power. Power to that is misused in their hands, and justified by the docile who allow them to continue.

20. Light Registered Senior Member

Oh, well. More useless trolling...

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Cool Skill: I couldn't care less about why corperations do what they do. Everyone has a selfish motive for everything they do, should they know it or not. What it all comes down to is that they do their job and in doing so they keep all the gears of the world turning.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And the poor and middle class does nothing to exhaust resources? And don't forget that there are lots, LOTS more poor and middle class people!

Baron Max

23. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Cool skill,

I understand your plight but I think its monopolization and cartels you are really antagonizing. These problems are fundamental econnomic problems and are in fact necessary by-products of our type of commerce. But we are doing something about it, remember the microsoft anti-trust trials? But unfortunately the moment we resolve a giant body other ones rises some where as unions, corporations, NGO's, GO's, religious sects, special interest, e.t.c. Even organizations like NATO and the OPEC are special examples of what you are talking about. I also agree they destroy the earth, I am with you here but everybody including your local Indian supermarket destroys the earth as well, corporations just do it is a bigger "in your face "way. However many corporations like coke at least say they recycle their products, which is way too expensive of an ordeal. Also we have many corporations responsible for the cleaning up of the earth. Nonetheless I think it is us that need to stop pumping a baby out of a mother's canal every 2 seconds, if this keeps ocurring over the next 100 years the last thing we will be worring about is corporations and cartels. If you somehow divide the earth's pollution between corporation's and non- corporations the non-corps will still take the cake by a landslide. In my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005