Breaking News - Dems Shut Down Senate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Godless, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

The Democrats have shut down the Senate, demanding to know what happened to the promise to investigate how intelligence was used or misused leading up to the Iraq war. Turn on your TV.

They have used a special rule allowing them to call for the Senate to go into secret closed session.

Update - The Dems have said that they will continue to shut down the Senate EVERY SINGLE DAY until the Republicans agree to allow investigation how we got into the war. (Note - Every channel I turn to has Republicans on, explaining how terrible this all is and how it is bad for the country and how the Democrats are under the control of leftists, etc. Not a single Democrat on any cable network.)

Update - DEMS IMMEDIATELY WIN - there will be an investigation! More coming soon.

Senator Reid has issued a statement. (I am adding emphasis at key points) This may be the strongest statement I have read from a national leader.

Statement by Senator Reid
    Troops and Security First
    This past weekend, we witnessed the indictment of the I. Lewis Libby, the Vice President’s Chief of Staff and a senior Advisor to President Bush. Libby is the first sitting White House staffer to be indicted in 135 years. This indictment raises very serious charges. It asserts this Administration engaged in actions that both harmed our national security and are morally repugnant. The decision to place U.S. soldiers in harm’s way is the most significant responsibility the Constitution invests in the Congress. The Libby indictment provides a window into what this is really about: how the Administration manufactured and manipulated intelligence in order to sell the war in Iraq and attempted to destroy those who dared to challenge its actions. As a result of its improper conduct, a cloud now hangs over this Administration. This cloud is further darkened by the Administration’s mistakes in prisoner abuse scandal, Hurricane Katrina, and the cronyism and corruption in numerous agencies. And, unfortunately, it must be said that a cloud also hangs over this Republican-controlled Congress for its unwillingness to hold this Republican Administration accountable for its misdeeds on all of these issues. Let’s take a look back at how we got here with respect to Iraq Mr. President. The record will show that within hours of the terrorist attacks on 9/11, senior officials in this Administration recognized these attacks could be used as a pretext to invade Iraq. The record will also show that in the months and years after 9/11, the Administration engaged in a pattern of manipulation of the facts and retribution against anyone who got in its way as it made the case for attacking Iraq. There are numerous examples of how the Administration misstated and manipulated the facts as it made the case for war. Administration statements on Saddam’s alleged nuclear weapons capabilities and ties with Al Qaeda represent the best examples of how it consistently and repeatedly manipulated the facts. The American people were warned time and again by the President, the Vice President, and the current Secretary of State about Saddam’s nuclear weapons capabilities. The Vice President said Iraq “has reconstituted its nuclear weapons.” Playing upon the fears of Americans after September 11, these officials and others raised the specter that, left unchecked, Saddam could soon attack America with nuclear weapons. Obviously we know now their nuclear claims were wholly inaccurate. But more troubling is the fact that a lot of intelligence experts were telling the Administration then that its claims about Saddam’s nuclear capabilities were false.
    The rest here

The Dems finally find the BALLS to go after these criminals, hopefully the whole administration including Vice Pres Chiney, and it's puppet Bush will be impeached before the end of his STOLEN term.

Godless

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

WOW!
    I have to say - IT'S ABOUT TIME
    So the system may still work after all?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orestes Strategos Registered Senior Member

Ahhh I love it, not only because I love seeing Republican's feathers ruffled, but I think this is a good indication that the system is still healthy, at least to some degree. The democrats are still showing some signs of life, which is a very good thing. If the balance continued to slip to the republicans, this country would not be represented properly. I don't care what party you are, too much of either side is a bad thing. So it's good to see the dems sticking up for themselves.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

yawn. Big deal.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I wonder how many other dems will follow suit and stop being such pussies.
    Probably not enough.
    Enough to swing the houses in '06, though?
    The dems announced today that they don't want to have the Alito vote before the end of the year.
    I wonder if this will all play out in a solidarity stone walling scheme until the midterm results are in.

On thing it certainly shows is that at least ONE democrat took his tail out from between his legs. I wonder if he setting up for a presidential bid.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The top seven pussies are at it already.
    This smells bad for the dems.
    Hopefully Reid (or the voters in their districts will write MANY letters threatening them with midterm rejections) will get to them before it's too late to avoid dirty games that will stain their hands.
    That would be the last thing they need when fighting an uphill battle on the wind of "Republican Corruption", and they know that (and so do the Republicans).
    The dems will be scared to take any action, and the "Mod Squad" will be fucking their party over by this action.
    Fillibuster is not the Senate's only option, but it is the "cleanest" one.
    If the "Mod Squad" makes another pact, the dems will be driven to back down or play dirty politics to keep Alito off the bench.
    Either way, it doesn't look good for the dems.

If they seal another pact their only positive course of action will be to back down, allow the Republicans to give Alito the becnh, play it clean, hope for the best and swing the houses in the midterms.

10. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

What I didn't have any time yesterday to say was; Too little too late!.

Whatever happened to exposing the lies before the invasion of Irag?.

1500 American soldiers paid with their lives and are paying with their lives for the biggest fuck up in history!. Letting another Bush in the WH.

Two stolen presidential nominations latter these sob's are crying foul?. Or were they along for the ride?

Nice Try Harry (Reid) But it Was Too Little, Too Late

it be a big deal if you lost a loved in an unjustified war, perpetrated by deceit & greed. How about joining the army? Go for it!. Last I heard they need mindless Jar heads to join the ranks to slaughter.

click

And on the lighter side of things there's this:
    Scooter Libby's deviant novel

What a laugh!. LOL

Godless

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Better late than never, and BTW, it's 2032 American troops dead now.

I have absolutely nothing against deviant novels, if anything it's a positive side of Libby. He'll need something to do in prison.

12. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

As much as I would rather have seen this happen sooner (say like before we went to war) I'm still glad that we're not just giving up on the whole matter and letting that pack of liars in the white house get away with lieing to the American Public. You'd figure that after the Downing Street Memos were leaked, prooving that Bush and his Chronies set on "fixing the facts around the policy" and with testimonial from former administration members like Richard Clarke who have informed us that the chicken hawks were set on Iraq as soon as Sepetmber 12, then how the hell could we possibly let this issue alone?

I'm extreemly excited about this turn of events - though as slippery as the Bush administration has been in the past I'm really a little too pessimistic to hope that it will result in impeachment, but at least, maybe this investigation can finaly set a few things straight for the record.